Question about color

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MissileDaughter

Reaction score
I am currently constructing the Thumper. I was wondering what color it is supposed to be. The directions were not clear on the color. If it does not have a certain color, what color would you all recommend? Thanks for the input!

I would say paint it anything that can be seen in the air and on the ground.

I kinda like red and black myself. Looks great on any rocket.:D

use some of that automotive paint that changes color depending on the angle you are looking at. my favorite is the purple-blue-gold-green paint.

Originally posted by MissileDaughter
I am currently constructing the Thumper. I was wondering what color it is supposed to be. The directions were not clear on the color. If it does not have a certain color, what color would you all recommend? Thanks for the input!

I would recommend black (highest contrast to a bright sky) and fluourescent orange (greatest visibility on the ground) as being the "best" colors for a rocket.

Instead, I will suggest getting some adhesive paper with diffraction grating ("rainbow foil") and wrapping it with that. Or, print out a picture of the cartoon character Thumper, wrap the rocket with that, and then cover that with a clear lamination layer.

Why just paint, when you can decorate?

Originally posted by DynaSoar
I would recommend black (highest contrast to a bright sky) and fluourescent orange (greatest visibility on the ground) as being the "best" colors for a rocket.

Instead, I will suggest getting some adhesive paper with diffraction grating ("rainbow foil") and wrapping it with that. Or, print out a picture of the cartoon character Thumper, wrap the rocket with that, and then cover that with a clear lamination layer.

You said the "d" word (and with the artist inside me, that might be dangerous). Hmmm. Sounds like a good idea. I once had a white rabbit with pink eyes that was named Thumper.

Still, everyone else had good ideas. n3tjm is starting to scare me just for the fact that I was thinking of painting it like that before I posted this thread. It is going to be hard to choose what to do. Thanks everyone!

Originally posted by MissileDaughter
n3tjm is starting to scare me just for the fact that I was thinking of painting it like that before I posted this thread.

We think to much alike ;).

Originally posted by DynaSoar

I read somewhere once that men paint; women decorate. Checked it out with the wife & she agreed. :rolleyes:

Originally posted by cls
use some of that automotive paint that changes color depending on the angle you are looking at. my favorite is the purple-blue-gold-green paint.

dosen't that make it hard to find on the ground?

Back