Question about CA/glues...???

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

Steward

Reaction score

Lately I seem to be making more of a mess than making cool rockets...

In the spirit of doing something new... I used a fast CA to attach fins to the body tube. It ran and then puddled at the bottom of the fillet...
Now I can't sand it out... looks terrible...!!!

What should I do...???

Can you thin it or cut it? Or just try and grind it out...

Work, work, work...!!!

Live a little... learn a little...

Steward

DJ Delorie

Reaction score
I've had good luck with a Dremel tool and a steel toothed carving tip (i.e. not a stone, not sandpaper, not a burr). But you have to have a steady hand. The flex wand helps if you have one.

Steward

Reaction score

Actually I have a small cutters wheel that I believe will fit in my drill press...(my dremel wore out several years ago)...

I can increase the rpm and give it a try... in the morning...

Thanks...!!!

Steward

DynaSoar

Reaction score
Originally posted by Steward

In the spirit of doing something new... I used a fast CA to attach fins to the body tube. It ran and then puddled at the bottom of the fillet...
Now I can't sand it out... looks terrible...!!!

What should I do...???

Can you thin it or cut it?
The solvent for CyA is acetone. Most easily found as nail polish remover. Try that with Q-Tips. Don't use too much at a time, and have very good ventilation, like maybe outside.

Reaction score
Dyan is right on with the Acetone, nail polish remover is a fine source.
dryed CA has about the same density as Styrene plastic, with about the same sanding characteristics. If you start with 320 sandpaper or grit band on a glit stick you can bend in most any CA Oops. I use this method to fill in or remove unwanted panel lines, details and such on PMC models. after sanding you'll never now they were there;) works well on body tube/fin fillets and other places you really want a smooth finish.
A combination will remove any nasty clumps ro runs with Acetone allow to dry then sand with 320 and 600 wet/dry sandpaper.

wrap the sandpaper around a dowel or smooth stick to really get an even fillet radius.

PS: i've found medium CA is an easier use product then the thin. Give an almost instant hold but allow time to clean up our little goofs;)

Steward

Reaction score

Yea...!!!

I thought there was something that would cut it... I just couldn't think of it. I did several searches on it... never did turn up anything... I'll blame it on the medications...LOL

Thanks alot guys...!!! It's my GOBLIN clone... and I really wanted it to look good...!!!

Steward

:cool:

primer.jpg