Quantcast

Question about Baffle design

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

GottaGoFast

Reaction score
I building a scratch-built out of a mailing tube I snatched from a teacher. It's 2.125" in diameter and I decided on an ejection baffle for my deployment method. I plan on using 29mm black powder or 29mm short composite motors on a 30" tube so I have plenty of space. I don't have experience with larger diameter rockets and wanted to see what someone else thought

Thanks!

File_000.jpeg

Jay Rairigh

Reaction score
So you are relying on the burning particles leaving the airframe before the parachute comes out of its compartment? Interesting, although a safer baffle could be made by arranging the same materials a different way.

GottaGoFast

Reaction score
So you are relying on the burning particles leaving the airframe before the parachute comes out of its compartment? Interesting, although a safer baffle could be made by arranging the same materials a different way.
How would you rearrange the baffle? Would you place the Parachute lower in the frame?

Jay Rairigh

Reaction score
IMG_20201126_160807777.jpg
IMG_20201126_161001215.jpg

I have a centering ring with holes attached to a coupler as shown. In this example, it is a bt-60 tube glued on the aft side of the centering as shown. You can put your recovery attachment/screw eye to the center of the ring. This goes into the rocket with the bt-60 tube at aft.

Then I run a stuffer tube, or the motor mount tube, at whatever length needed to reach up into the bt-60 tube just short of the centering ring of the baffle. The ejection takes two 180 degree turns.

If there is a whole lot of space behind the baffle on a very long/large rocket, I will lengthen the coupler longer than the bt-60 tube, add a centering ring to it's aft end with a hole for the stuffer tube. This reduces rocket volume for the ejection charge. There are other mods I make depending on the rocket and motor being used.

That's my baffle of choice at this moment in time, lol.

GottaGoFast

Reaction score
View attachment 445981View attachment 445978

I have a centering ring with holes attached to a coupler as shown. In this example, it is a bt-60 tube glued on the aft side of the centering as shown. You can put your recovery attachment/screw eye to the center of the ring. This goes into the rocket with the bt-60 tube at aft.

Then I run a stuffer tube, or the motor mount tube, at whatever length needed to reach up into the bt-60 tube just short of the centering ring of the baffle. The ejection takes two 180 degree turns.

If there is a whole lot of space behind the baffle on a very long/large rocket, I will lengthen the coupler longer than the bt-60 tube, add a centering ring to it's aft end with a hole for the stuffer tube. This reduces rocket volume for the ejection charge. There are other mods I make depending on the rocket and motor being used.

That's my baffle of choice at this moment in time, lol.
Thanks!