Question about Andromeda fins

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Len B

Old Member
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Hi there,

I just read on another thread where someone has seen troubles when a person decides to build fins in a single piece when a two piece fin glued together lengthwise is called for in the instructions.

I'm at the point of assembling a clone of the Estes Andromeda (easy to do btw) and I did skip the two piece fins. I just wonder if it matters that much. I guess I am thinking out loud here.

Perhaps I can get away from slitting the fins and gluing them back together by covering them with thin CA?

What would you all recommend?

Len Bryan

Two piece fins are usually that way to maintain the correct grain orrientation or because they only provided 3" stock and the fins are 4".

The only problem with the old Estes Andromeda is the BT-50 upper section...not much room for a parachute.

That's the main reason I haven't flown mine.

sandman

Originally posted by sandman
Two piece fins are usually that way to maintain the correct grain orrientation or because they only provided 3" stock and the fins are 4".

The only problem with the old Estes Andromeda is the BT-50 upper section...not much room for a parachute.

That's the main reason I haven't flown mine.

sandman

Ahh! That makes sense about the 3" stock. Perhaps I will CA anyway for extra strength.

I did wonder about stuffing a 'chute in there. Easy build though from parts lying around. I just need to get a nose cone and I have it all ready for assembly.

Thanks for the reply Sandman!

Len

Decals may be hard to find...

Check with Astronboy.

sandman

Originally posted by sandman
Decals may be hard to find...

Check with Astronboy.

sandman

My set was part of my first ever order from JimZ. Isn't he in the business anymore? I'm hoping to finish mine this summer after three LONG years.

Sandman, Fishhead, Thanks!

I remember reading somewhere (EMRR?) that JimZ had a set of Andromeda decals. I think I saw them on the Tango Papa site too. I'm a couple weeks away from ordering the NC and some other general scratch build stuff from BMS and will check into it at that time. I just want the rest of it built by then too.

I remember wanting to buy the Andromeda when it first appeared in the Estes catalogue. I'm slowly but surely building or rebuilding kits I either had or wanted from that time. It sure is fun!

Thanks,

Len Bryan

So would the grain of the main fins run perpendicular to the body tube?

I'm nearing that point!

Thank you,
Pat

Originally posted by huxley
So would the grain of the main fins run perpendicular to the body tube?

I'm nearing that point!

Thank you,
Pat

This is exactly where I'm at on mine. STILL!!! Going on four years now. The parts are all cut and gathered, which was a big part of my problem for those four years.

I ran the balsa wood grain parallel with the leading edge.
I have had to repair the leading edge of mine several times, particularly where the dowel attaches. This seams to be the
high stress point on landing due to the small parachute compartment. I have since replaced part of the leading edge with thin plywood and laminated it to the remaining fin with paper. This has worked much better. Another posibility is to lengthen the forward compartment and use a larger parachute.

Stuart

Hi Guys,

Yes, Excelsior has the decals for the Andromeda. They are a rather new item, so I am not sure how many people know about them. Just stop by the website, click on 'Classic Waterslide Decals' and scroll down.

Phred

Back