Quest Support? Nike Smoke Problem

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flying_silverad

Reaction score
Does anybody know how to either e-mail or phone Quest Rocketry? I have some missing parts from a kit that I purchased online and the bag was sealed from the factory so I know they forgot to include it and I need the part. ( Forward MOTOR MOUNT PLASTIC RETAINER). I like there kits and their attention to most of the way things come out of the package...this is na exception to the rule.

many thanks

If I had it to do all over again... I probably wouldn't. Mr. Ed

Ooooo, good luck on that one. I remember last year doing some research to try to get a Quest CSR to join the forum for questions such as these. What I found (at that time) was that Estes and Quest are "unreachable". It may be different now but my suggestion is to take the kit back to where you bought it and have them give you a new kit.

I do have a customer service number for Estes. They are easy to reach. Found the number through yellow pages in Yahoo. Are they the same company?

Good question. My first answer is NO. They are competitors. But in todays world, you never know. Call 'em and see. :D Let us know what you find out. Maybe you can be our online Quest expert. :D

Same thing happened to me with a Quest Apollo kit that I won in an online auction. I got two small transitions instead of two different sized ones. Too bad. The Apollo looked like it was going to be a cool rocket.

I converted my Nike Smoke to take a 24mm E9 motor.

I don't need the parts you are missing. Let me know exactly what you want and your address to send them.

I was wondering about a few engineering problems on my "Smoke" conversion.

Can I legally put a "smoke generator" in the nose cone, (it needs a lot of weight up there to ballance the motor anyway)?

I have to figure out how to ignite the smoke bomb remotely.(I don't want to light the fuse and run back to the launcher)

Will the smoke unit get too hot and melt the nose?

Will I ever see my rocket again with an "E9" motor?

Will the new Aerotech F21 rip the plastic fin can appart?

With all the ifs, is this model considered a "single use"?

Should I even bother to paint it?

What do you guys think?

sandman

LOL, Sand sounds like you have some decisions to make. On your smoke device though, it is very fuzzy. Not sure where the
actual rules are written but this is from the Tripoli Cert level 2
test:

What payloads are not permitted in a high power rocket?
A) Payloads that are flammable or explosive or intended to cause harm.
B) Vertebrate animals.
C) Both a and b.
Answer: C

When may a high power rocket motor be used for spectacular displays of color, light and/or sound?
A) When used in a public display.
B) When properly designed for that purpose.
C) They may not be used for this application.
Answer: C

So, could a "smoke generator" be a payload that is flammable or
could it create a spectacular display of color, light or sound? Hmmm, like I said, a fuzzy area. :D

For the Nike Smoke I need the forward and aft plastic engine mount rings that hold engine mount in fin assembly. Address is

John Rowan-Stern
692 Pratt Corner Rd
Amherst, MA 01002

If you have PayPal I can forward the postage.

Thanks,
JR

By the way, the customer service phone number at Estes is

719-372-6565

The part you sent was just wha the doctor ordered! If I can be of help in the future, please ask!!!
JR

Back