Quest Super Eagle

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It was definitely point down when ejection occurred. It came down safely but it was a bit of a near thing.

SE-f2za.jpg

SE-f2zb.jpg

SE-f2zc.jpg

For the third flight I wanted to use an Estes C6-3 to compare it to the Quest version. Thus one was installed and it was taken to the pad for its third flight of the day.

SE-f3a.jpg

SE-f3b.jpg

Ignition occurred right when the button was pushed and it took off well, not much faster than it had with the Quest motor.

SE-f3c.jpg

SE-f3d.jpg

SE-f3e.jpg

It soon passed the altitude to which the Quest motor had taken it.

SE-f3i.jpg

SE-f3j.jpg

SE-f3k.jpg

Ejection occurred while it was still moving up but the chute was good and it came home safely.

SE-f3o.jpg

SE-f3p.jpg

SE-f3q.jpg

SE-f3r.jpg

SE-f3s.jpg

Overall, this was a nice simple kit that looks reasonably good with its precolored parts. The performance was not stellar but it had close to a perfect profile on the B6. The Quest C6 was disappointment but the Estes C6 worked perfectly. My supposition is that this bird was designed and the motors specified when the Quest ones still came from Germany.

Persons wishing to keep track of this rocket can do so here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/23694991@N03/collections/72157622765370685/

Overall, this was a nice simple kit that looks reasonably good with its precolored parts. The performance was not stellar but it had close to a perfect profile on the B6. The Quest C6 was disappointment but the Estes C6 worked perfectly. My supposition is that this bird was designed and the motors specified when the Quest ones still came from Germany.

Persons wishing to keep track of this rocket can do so here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/23694991@N03/collections/72157622765370685/

Hmm, I do not understand why you are having poor flights with the new/Chinese Quest C6-3 motors in the Super Eagle. :confused:

I have flown my Super Eagle on nothing but the Chinese made C6-3 motors and all the flights have been very good. I last flew my Super Eagle with a Quest C6-3 on January 3rd and the flight was great as always.

I've been flying the Quest C6-3s in my Estes Fat Boy model and the flights have been good, also.

I went out to play this weekend and was anxious to get in the air after getting the equipment set up. I grabbed the Super Eagle because it happened to be sitting on top. I loaded a B6-4 and took it to the pad.

SE-f1a.jpg

SE-f1b.jpg

SE-f1c.jpg

It didn't go ver high before it ran out of steam but I didn't really expect it to go high on a B.

SE-f1e.jpg

SE-f1f.jpg

SE-f1g.jpg

SE-f1h.jpg

It had started to come back down tail first when the ejection charge went off. To me it seemed like less than a 100 feet over the heads of the flight line. That led to some surprized exclamations.

SE-f1i.jpg

It drifted down right at the end of the flight line.

SE-f1j.jpg

SE-f1k.jpg

I repacked the chute and loaded a C6-5 motor and took the Super Eagle back out to the pad. Then I had to wait for the other to finish loading their creations.

SE-f2a.jpg

SE-f2b.jpg

SE-f2c.jpg

As luck would have it, I had to wait my turn even after everyone was loaded up. That meant that I got to see Dale Marshall's awesome scratch built Double Barrel go up on its maiden flight.

SE-f2d.jpg

SE-f2e.jpg

SE-f2f.jpg

Then Todd Schroeder got to launch his Delta Saucer on its maiden flight.

SE-f2g.jpg

Then Ken Kryszal got to launch his 2 stage Voodoo. It was not a maiden flight but supposedly had not been out in 20 years.

SE-f2h.jpg

Then the waiting paid off when my turn came. I though to have some fun announcing it on a 1/2A6-2 but nobody was listening. It took off nicely as before.

SE-f2i.jpg

SE-f2j.jpg

As expected, it climbed a good deal further on the C than the B.

SE-f2k.jpg

SE-f2l.jpg

SE-f2m.jpg

SE-f2n.jpg

A nice touch on the the C motor is that the coast phase takes place mostly in the upward direction.

SE-f2o.jpg

SE-f2p.jpg

Ejection occurred once more as the Super Eagle was tail sliding backwards but it had not yet gone very far.

SE-f2q.jpg

The chute did its thing drifting further away and then closer.

SE-f2r.jpg

SE-f2s.jpg

SE-f2t.jpg

Finally, it decided our field was good enough and started coming down faster. Everything was fine except for a bit of a kink in the upper tube which I had noticed while it sat on the pad before.

SE-f2u.jpg

SE-f2v.jpg

SE-f2w.jpg

Bump because I was looking for this one. It's repair time.

On its last flight, long ago, I noticed that the body tube had a kink in it.

kink-1.jpg

kink-2.jpg

Instead of replacing the tube, I decided to reinforce it with a collar. I spent some time searching for a tube that had an inner diameter the same size as the outer diameter of the body tube. I believe the closest I found was a coupler from LOC that was given to me.

kink-3.jpg

kink-4.jpg

I painted the coupler with some Teamwork filler.

kink-5.jpg

Back