Quest Products?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CTRockets

Reaction score
Hey all,

I am new to the site but not new to the hobby. Anyway, I was wondering if there are any new kits being introduced by Quest? I noticed they changed around their starter sets and new ignitors but any new rocket kits in the works?

Thanks

Quest's last releases were 2-3 years ago. There's been talk of more releases by in 2006, more into the MPR range however the market wasn't there. Theres been talk from them, IIRC, about 2009 releases.

I wasn't there for NARAM-50 last year though. Did Bill ever say anything when the Vendors spoke?

Bill Stine spoke at the NARAM-50 Manufacturer's Forum.

He is still interested in moving Quest into MPR.

To this end, he announced and displayed Black Powder D8, E12 & F12 motors. There were, also, six kits displayed as future releases for these motors (Well, five of the six). These prototypes were designed and built by Scott Branche (Rockitflite).

I believe Bill mentioned that the launch pad and controller he had designed for the earlier mid-power product line would be modified for use with these new products.

N50-Q13 New Quest motors.jpg

N50-Q01 New Quest kits.jpg

N50-Q04.jpg

Last edited:
>>>>
I wasn't there for NARAM-50 last year though. Did Bill ever say anything when the Vendors spoke?
<<<<<

Yes. Attached, a pic of new models, and a brochure announcing new motors some of those models need. But since those were announced in Summer 2008, for Spring 2009 (for the motors), and no updates since, it might be reasonable to expect slippage.

BTW - the models were designed and built by a TRF regular.

- George Gassaway

Quest-IMG_0379.jpg

Quest-IMG_0384.jpg

If that is the case, those rockets look great as well as the new motors. I hope they get released soon. I see they have repackaged their starter sets in boxes that are reusable as range boxes, at least thats what it looks like on their website in the pictures. If thats the case then that was a great idea as the reusable boxes the starter sets used to come in back in the day were great for storage purposes. Can anyone confirm if that is indeed true.

i hope the new querst motors make there way to the UK soon - does anyone in the UK know of a vendor yet?

Those kits look great! I've never been too excited about Quest kits, but I would buy every one of those.

Those kits look great! I've never been too excited about Quest kits, but I would buy every one of those.
They looked even better in person. Scott (rokitflite) did a fantastic job of building and painting those models.

I particularly liked the Quad Runner (4x 18 mm cluster) and the Minotaur when I saw them at NARAM-50.

I hope Quest is able to release at least a couple of those kits this year.

They all use new 50 mm body tubes, and the nose cones have unusually long shoulders, btw.

They looked even better in person. Scott (rokitflite) did a fantastic job of building and painting those models.

He and they sure did. Those pics don't do them justice. He was trying to keep them that way too, and stressing when people wanted to handle them.:eek:

I particularly liked the Quad Runner (4x 18 mm cluster) and the Minotaur when I saw them at NARAM-50.

I hope Quest is able to release at least a couple of those kits this year.

They all use new 50 mm body tubes, and the nose cones have unusually long shoulders, btw.
Is that the Minotaur, third from left? If it is, well, I don't like the name but I love the model! I MUST HAVE ONE!

Yeah, I agree kelly... different flavor 3fnc never really 'did' it for me either, but these MPR kits look pretty interesting...

And of course you can NEVER have too many motor choices!

What sizes are those motor casings?? 18, 24, 29, what?? How about lengths??

Thanks for any info! OL JR :)

Edit: My bad, how'd I miss Foose's pics?? (brain fart) JR

Last edited:
Looks like the D8's are 24 mm. X 70 mm., the E12's are 28 mm. X 100 mm. and the F12's are 28 mm. X 115 mm. Not sure about the total impulse ratings.

Rocketron
NAR # 31475

Looks like the D8's are 24 mm. X 70 mm., the E12's are 28 mm. X 100 mm. and the F12's are 28 mm. X 115 mm. Not sure about the total impulse ratings.

Rocketron
NAR # 31475

Based upon what I heard at NARAM 50 and the fact that the maximum propellant in a motor is 62.5 grams and these use BP, I would expect the D to be close to a full 20 N-s, the E to be close to a full 40 N-s and the F to be somewhere around 50 to 60 N-s.

i hope the new querst motors make there way to the UK soon - does anyone in the UK know of a vendor yet?
I'm a little bit west of where you are, but here's a list of UK vendors that was generated by Quest's website.

Mark \\.

IIRC what Bill said at NARAM, the D8 would be a somewhat weak D. Because with Black Powder you cannot fit anywhere near 20 n-sec, or even 15 n-sec, into a 18 x 70mm paper casing. So, reminiscent of the old Cox D8.

Otherwise the casing would have to be a lot longer (like the old AVI D6.1's), or the propellant would have to have a lot higher ISP.

EDIT - Whoops, I totally blew it. The Quest D8 will be 24mm Diameter, not 18mm. So, indeed, it can be a 20 N-sec motor.

- George Gassaway

Last edited:
I'm confused. Based oin George's earlier posting and pictures the D8 appears to be a 24 mm. not 18mm. Their recently released D5 is 18 mm. Correct?

Rocketron
NAR # 31475

The Quest D8 motor will be 24mm x 70mm.

The same size as 'the other guys' D12 motor. ;)

Back