Quest Nike Smoke

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DynaSoar

Reaction score
I'm really glad I got one of these, since they're being discontinued. I really like the Quest plastic fin can/fins/quick change motor retainer assemblies. They're a nifty little hack.

I've always liked the Nike Smoke and wanted to have one. When I just want a rocket, I don't necessarily want to spend a lot of time building. When I want to build, I'll go scratch, or get an LOC kit. This, I just wanted to have.

Although the kit doesn't require any painting, I did put some white primer and satin coat on the body to cover the spirals (which are grey in color). Happily, the decals were adhesive, not water slide.

I didn't use the chute. I never use the cheap plastic ones anymore. But I was glad to see that Quest stopped using those goofy plastic tabs on the chutes; this one had regular tape tabs. I used a streamer instead. This little thing doesn't need more. I did add a half a copper scrubbing pad for an ejection baffle.

I'll probably test it on a B motor, but I have a D21 that's been waiting for something cool to push. I think this is it. Later, some time, I'll get a Cosmodrome Nike Smoke (unless Preformance Rocketry actually comes out with their smaller one in composite). For now, I'm pleased with this one.

The Nike-Smoke is one of my favorite rockets. It has that "archetypical rocket" look. A shame Quest is discontinuing theirs; I have one in the bag which I'll probably just hold onto now.

My one, single experience with a D21 was a quite violent CATO. I have heard that the D21 is prone to doing this, so you may want to ask around before deciding if it's worth the risk to an irreplaceable rocket.

On the other hand, I can't think of a prettier rocket that I'd like to see go swoosh on one of those babies.:D

I have to agree the Smoke is a "classic" scale subject. I have 5 different scales including one of Quests. If you haven't looked at the quest kit yet Dyna the 2 piece nose is a royal pain to align, but once that's out of the way the kit is a breeze. just about any size is a joy to fly thou my micro minimum diameter is very hard to follow;)

Originally posted by Micromeister
I have to agree the Smoke is a "classic" scale subject. I have 5 different scales including one of Quests. If you haven't looked at the quest kit yet Dyna the 2 piece nose is a royal pain to align, but once that's out of the way the kit is a breeze. just about any size is a joy to fly thou my micro minimum diameter is very hard to follow;)

I didn't have trouble aligning the nose halves, but the nose tip was a problem. It wasn't the same roundness as the combined halves. Probably not enough for anyone else to notice, but I did.

I flew my Nike smoke at Whitaker over a year ago on an Estes E9-8.

Man that was just ....GONE...so I had to buy another.

There's plenty of room in it for a 24mm motor!

Plenty of room for a 29mm mount too! Only flown mine on an F23 to date.

Originally posted by rstaff3
Plenty of room for a 29mm mount too! Only flown mine on an F23 to date.
Are we talking about the QUEST Nike-Smoke? On a 29mm motor? If so you're braver than me!

Are we talking about the QUEST Nike-Smoke? On a 29mm motor?

Yea, a 29mm will fit!

Mine disapeared on an Estes "E" so I don't see the point of wasting a 29mm motor on it.

And at the price of 29mm SU motors...Estes "E's" are looking a lot more attractive to me.

You and me both. I bought it as a single-use rocket :) But throw away rockets are now over priced, and I won't risk an RMS either. With the nose weight I needed I prolly need an E30 for it..I'd have to look back at the sim.

My review is on EMRR. Very easy conversion!

I assume you guys are doing the 29mm conversion with the old one piece fin unit? The new multi piece unit, in addition to looking less than scale, would be a bear to convert to 29mm! I love the old one piece unit, I am getting a bunch of rings laser cut to center a 24mm D or E motor in the Nike Smoke tube. I have several of the older fin units and its fun to blast those things through the clouds when I do demos for the local schools!!!

Yes, the fin unit on mine is one piece. Didn't know they had any other types out.

Yeah Rstaff,
The one piece, plug in fin unit is gone. Ever since the quick kits went to the box instead of the bag the one piece units are no more (see picture). The molds for that fin unit and the Nike Smoke nose cones are dead (which is why the "Smoke" and the Big Rage are discontunued). So you may want to grab any bagged kits you can find if its a favorite of yours!

I dropped by this hobby store to grab more packs of D12-0s at $3.50 and saw a Quest Nike-X. Don't like it like the Smoke, but it had the one piece fin can. Had to grab it after this discussion. Also grabbed 2 damaged ER mags at a buck apiece. What a deal!

Hey Dick (rstaff),
Do you generally make the NARHAMS meetings? Or at least up to Hobby Works in Laurel often? I can give you a couple of these fin units if you like.

Thanks for the offer, I'd gladly accept them. I generally don't make the meetings and don't get to the Laurel store. But to take you up on your generous offer, I may be that direction next Monday and could swing by :)

Me and my son built one Nike smoke for him last month. It came in a bag and had the one piece fin unit. When I heard they were going to stop making them I had my wife pick up another at hobbo lobbo. It came in a box and had a two piece fin unit, but note the color of the body tube. I think it should be white and I cannot see where its been tampered with. I just thought it was a little strange. Thats what they make paint for I guess.

I like the one in the plastic box... I aided some Year 7 pupils to build them on a 'rocket day' in school. And I've been after one ever since. An ideal begginer rocket!

I think I would only try a D/E in one of these little things, I remember watching the stock ones on B's and they leaped off the pad!
Karl

Originally posted by Karl
I like the one in the plastic box... I aided some Year 7 pupils to build them on a 'rocket day' in school. And I've been after one ever since. An ideal begginer rocket!

I think I would only try a D/E in one of these little things, I remember watching the stock ones on B's and they leaped off the pad!
Karl

You should have seen mine on a D21. "Bang, zoom, to the moon!"
Just suddenly not there anymore. I'm glad I stuck with a streamer.

Originally posted by JSvolfan
Me and my son built one Nike smoke for him last month. It came in a bag and had the one piece fin unit. When I heard they were going to stop making them I had my wife pick up another at hobbo lobbo. It came in a box and had a two piece fin unit, but note the color of the body tube. I think it should be white and I cannot see where its been tampered with. I just thought it was a little strange. Thats what they make paint for I guess.

I just picked up three of the Nike Smoke Quick Kits.

Two had white body tubes. The third one had a black body tube.

Originally posted by Initiator001
I just picked up three of the Nike Smoke Quick Kits.

Two had white body tubes. The third one had a black body tube.

Even the white ones need painting. They don't match the plastic. But black? That's just goofy. They must have been using up stock knowing they were cutting it from the line.

Back