Quest Nike Smoke

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Orbital

Reaction score
A friend took this picture at "Rocketober". This model has a fiberglass airframe & upgraded to 24mm mmt. I didn't have the proper weight in the nosecone. Pretty much spun around flopped around like a fish. Broke 2 fins off.

Can't wait to rebuild her..

Orbital:
looks pretty good, why did you glass the body? Isn't the glass or glassed body tube quite a bit heavier than the kit body tube?
I've been flying the Quest Nike smoke on D12's since it came out with the "kit" airframe, plastic fin can and "Worst" seamed 2 piece nose cone I've ever had the displeasure of spending several day's filling and trying to correcting:( Additional nose weight equal to the difference between motor mount part weights and motors C6 to D12 Ewt was added, she's flying great. I also used the "kit"18mm motor mount as an adaptor for small field flying. Even with the added weight she gets up there just fine on a C6-3.
I really perfer to fly my 13mm Nike-smoke 1:30scale with launcher display. This one goes out of sight on an A3-4T :) I've adaptors for 10.5mm and now for Micro-Maxx also.
While on summer vacation, I started 3 additional micro-maxx scale "smokes" .281",.375" and .448" body diameters. I think the .375" is going to be the best performer size..with any chance of recovery that is:)
Good Job! keep up the good work. Here's a pic of my 5 smokes

Just experimenting with fiberglass. Learning how to use it. The tube is fully fiberglass. I didn't wrap it around the cardboard tube. it was fun to mess with and I learned a lot from it. :D

Ah! yeap..always good to try new techniques:D i've experimented a little with FAI type fibreglass single warp HP glassed body and cones. just seem like the mandrals are way more expensive to make or have made than using Tracing vellium or other methods. haven't actually laid-up a "sport model" tube. What was the finished weight of your tube? and the approximate wall thickness?

It's always good to try new things...hmmm....making my own tube has been on my list for a while....

BTW the stock Smoke smokes on a 29mm motor, recovers fine with only a streamer from way up there!

I just purchased this kit recently on the half-off at Hobby Lobby. Since then, I've read lots of horror stories about that 2-piece nose cone. I figure to just keep it with an 18mm motor mount.

Horrors? I assume the horror stories are about it coming apart? Mine seems sturdy enough. I guess since mine had epoxy and ballast in the tip it may hold together better than the average.

IMHO it deserves at least a 24mm mount.

I've actually got an MPC Nike Smoke new in the box. I am debating whether or not to actually build it. Several weeks ago I found an MPC Nike Smoke 2-piece nosecone at a hobby shop. The owner sold it to me for $1!!! Talk about a good find. So, now the new dilemma is trying to find tubing to fit the cone. Too big for BT55 and too small for BT60.

Orbital, nice liftoff shot. I suppose it's deceiving to the result of the actual flight! :eek: Well, if anything, it certainly wises one up to mind the rules of stability. :p Just pullin' your leg. Get it back together and try again!

At the last CTRA invitational, James Urrata flew a stock Smoke on an old G101. I'm not sure who makes that motor. It was very cool and VERY fast! I don't think anyone got a liftoff shot. It landed very close to the pad too.

Here's a pic of him holding it. Yes he does have a Mohawk hair cut. :)

No, it wasn't Aerotech. I can probably find it on East Coast Rocketry's site.

Yeah, it rocked. I've never seen anything take off that fast.:eek:

I was wrong, it was Aerotech. It's an Aerotech G101. It was certified in 2001 and is still certified. It's a 29mm motor and very long. It took up most of the rocket.

Here's the certification form.

Back