Quest Motor Rocksim files

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gus

Reaction score
Does anyone know if there are Rocksim files available for the new currently available Quest motors?

I called Quest today and Nettie said she didn't know of any. She also told me all the motors currently on Quest's site are the Chinese motors.

So the only C6-5 on the site is the "long burn" 3.45 N average thrust motors, and the Rocksim file for Quest C6-5s is the old file from the 4.74 N motors.

Also, the B6s being sold by Quest are Chinese motors, but the certs on the NAR S&T site are from 1993. Does that mean they were tested and were the same as the old German motors?

Finally, any idea if there is a Rocksim file somewhere for the D5?

Gus

We tested the new C6 motors in 2007, and the D5 motor in 2008. The new Chinese Quest C6 motors are longer burning than the old German Quest C6 motors. Because of loopholes in NFPA 1125, both are allowed to have the same label designations however.

The old Quest C6 thurst curve is located here. https://www.nar.org/SandT/pdf/Quest/C6~35.pdf

The new Quest C6 thrust curve is located here, and the .eng file is located on page 3. Copy and paste it into your sim program engine database. https://www.nar.org/SandT/pdf/Quest/C6_cn.pdf

The new Quest D5 thrust curve is located here, and the .eng file is located on page 3. Copy and paste it into your sim program engine database. https://www.nar.org/SandT/pdf/Quest/D5_cn.pdf

In fact, the thiird page of all newer NAR certification documents contains the .eng file obtained from the certification testing. To make an .eng file file for you sim, or to add it to a multiple .eng file, simply copy and past the text into any text editor and save it as a xxx.eng file and place it in the appropriate directory for your sim.

Bob

Last edited:
for .ENG files, check out thrustcurve.org

https://www.thrustcurve.org/mfrsearch.jsp?id=13

appears to have the new Quest "C3.5" motor files, but not the old motor files. but you already have those motors in ROCKSIM.

for the record I think it was a terrible mistake for Quest to call the new motors by the same name as the old motors. Same with AT & the G80 series (classic, cato, and high-output).

We tested the new C6 motors in 2007, and the D5 motor in 2008. The new Chinese Quest C6 motors are longer burning than the old German Quest C6 motors. Because of loopholes in NFPA 1125, both are allowed to have the same label designations however.

What I found even more amazing, is that they had a major error in the printed thrust curves that come with the instructions to match the incorrect motor designation. The graph shows the steady-state portion of the burn at 6 Newtons, which would make the total impulse of these C engines over an E. I love their new ignitors, and I'm looking forward to trying out their long burn Cs, so I want to root for these guys, but they really need to fix that for me to have much respect for their practices.

Update: I have learned that the error in the printed thrust curve was unintentional and has already been fixed. Sorry to jump to conclusions.

Last edited:
Also, the B6s being sold by Quest are Chinese motors, but the certs on the NAR S&T site are from 1993. Does that mean they were tested and were the same as the old German motors? ...

Bob,

Are there new S&T data for the B6 Chinese motors? I tried subbing B6 for C6 in the links you gave, but that didn't work, and the NAR motor directory doesn't allow browsing.

Bruce

Bob,

Are there new S&T data for the B6 Chinese motors? I tried subbing B6 for C6 in the links you gave, but that didn't work, and the NAR motor directory doesn't allow browsing.

Bruce

S&T has been sorting through thousands of paper documents over the past several years to get information on-line, and NAR has been improving the website for the past 2 years. We are developing better DBM tools, but please be aware this is a massive undertaking for a volunteer organization, and volunteers have a life outside NAR so it doesn't happen overnight or without sacrifices.

Currently S&T tracks ~700 motors certified by NAR, and also TMT and CAR on the combined motor list, and has additional records for hundreds of OOP motors and testing data at multiple locations and in various formats. Although we continual condense, review and revise the current database, it is not perfect, and whenever we find errors and/or omissions, they get corrected. According to the on-line records, Quest B6 motors were decertified on 12/31/2003 because they had been OOP for more than 3 years, and there's no on-line record of a new certification for the B6 Chinese motors. Motor testing is confidential between the manufacturer and S&T, and is not on-line to insure confidentiality, so it's possible there's missing paperwork somewhere. All I can say is that S&T is reviewing all internal documentation to get answers to you question, but I don't know how long this will take.

Bob

...According to the on-line records, Quest B6 motors were decertified on 12/31/2003 because they had been OOP for more than 3 years, and there's no on-line record of a new certification for the B6 Chinese motors. Motor testing is confidential between the manufacturer and S&T, and is not on-line to insure confidentiality, so it's possible there's missing paperwork somewhere. All I can say is that S&T is reviewing all internal documentation to get answers to you question, but I don't know how long this will take.
Bob

Is that right? On the NAR Motor List it has the Quest B6 0,2, and 4 listed as Safety and Contest Certified. The data sheet have a updated dates of 8/96 and a note to the effect "There are three data sheets for Quest B6 motors due to different certification dates and different tested values."

I did find the notice R89, that the Quest B6-0,2,4 lost cert on 12/31/2003.

I could not find a notice that said they were recerted. So... are the Quest B6 Motor Certed or not? If not, that's a pretty big uh-oh.

Last edited:
Back