Quest Minotaur - What is this part?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ortisevans1

Reaction score
My son gave me a Minotaur kit last holiday season. I've started the build and have figured out the motor mount except for one part. It's a paper cylinder about 1.5" high. Could it be a spacer for the D engine adapter? I find no mention of it in the instructions.

Thanks

Attachments

• Minotaur Part.jpg
    Minotaur Part.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 0
From memory, it is a 29mm based kit and so that could be a 24mm to 29mm adapter. Is the ID 24mm and the OD 29mm?
Thanks heada,
The OD is 29mm, but the ID is 19mm. It has a tube within a tube within a tube setup to work with a 24mm engine

Now I want to crack open mine and check to see what it includes. If this can be safely launched on a 29mm E or F, I think I may need to upgrade my motor mount.

Sounds like a combo 29mm to 24mm and 24mm to 18mm adapters.
Yes, the nested tubes and rings accomplish that. Still, I see no role for the extra thick purple tube. I wish that Quest would do a slightly better job listing parts and showing where they go.

Best Regards

I’ve been looking at the Enerjet lineup and I think the 2021-2022 catalog may have a few misprints. Some of these rockets are claimed to have 29mm mounts when other vendors list them at 24mm (Lil’ Grunt, for example). Either that or AeroTech recently upgraded them all.

The Quad Runner is very peculiar, no mention of the cluster mount.

I’ve been looking at the Enerjet lineup and I think the 2021-2022 catalog may have a few misprints. Some of these rockets are claimed to have 29mm mounts when other vendors list them at 24mm (Lil’ Grunt, for example). Either that or AeroTech recently upgraded them all.

The Quad Runner is very peculiar, no mention of the cluster mount.
The older Quad Runner had a 4X18mm cluster mount.
Hence the name.
And as mentioned the current Enerjet Minotaur is listed as having a 24mm mount, while my Quest Minotaur has a 29mm.

I haven't cut the tap to open mine yet, and probably won't cuz I'll probably sell it.
Lists the recommended engines, but no mention of the size of the EM.
I'll assume it has 29mm with the adapter for 24mm, due the engines listed to use on the box.
I've had it for almost 2 years.

The older Quad Runner had a 4X18mm cluster mount.
Hence the name.
And as mentioned the current Enerjet Minotaur is listed as having a 24mm mount, while my Quest Minotaur has a 29mm.

A recent Quest/Enerjet Quad Runner kit included both a four engine cluster and a 24mm engine mount.
You choose one or the other.
I don't see the Quad Runner on the website right now.

Here's the whole Quad Runner build from my blog from finished model to start:
https://modelrocketbuilding.blogspot.com/search/label/QE Quad Runner

instructions on the adapter were vague. i mistakenly glued the 24mm mount inside the 29mm mount, not realizing it is supposed to be removable (i guess). as i see it, my chances of recovery are greatly enhanced.

A recent Quest/Enerjet Quad Runner kit included both a four engine cluster and a 24mm engine mount.
You choose one or the other.
I don't see the Quad Runner on the website right now.

Here's the whole Quad Runner build from my blog from finished model to start:
https://modelrocketbuilding.blogspot.com/search/label/QE Quad Runner
The page is still up, it just may not have a link currently.

https://aerotech-rocketry.com/products/product_0b07cbf0-956a-0663-74b4-a76a35803364

Found it!
My curiosity got the better of me so I dug out the Minotaur from behind a wall of rockets and the adapter was in the motor tube.
1028221735[1].jpg
As you can see the purplish black ring is the spacer.
The adapter and spacer on the top of the picture is from the Minotaur.
I made a couple of changes from the instructions:
Glued the spacer to the top of the adapter. Makes it idiot proof. Lots of times when I was ready to launch a rocket but forgot a spacer. Moved the aft centering ring up to allow flex of the engine hook while loading and unloading the motor. (See Chris M's build thread link above for this "gotcha").
The second adapter on the bottom is from another Quest kit. Don't remember which one. But you can see that I assembled it slightly differently. The spacer is not glued on. I even labeled it so I wouldn't forget what it's for. Heh. The aft centering ring is even with the end of the motor tube but a notch is cut to allow flex of the hook. Then a retaining sleeve (BT-52) is glued further up for hook retention. These mods are not in the instructions.
Pros and cons of each:
Top method does not use any additional parts. But the end of the 24mm tube has a gap between it and the 29 mm motor tube. You may want to build it up with 1/4" masking tape to enable tape wrap motor retention. Or just use old fashioned friction fit.
Bottom method uses a sleeve not provided in the kit, and you need to cut the notch. But tape wrap motor retention is easier.
Here's pics of each adapter in place:
1028221821[1].jpg
1028221821a[1].jpg

Hope this helps!

Last edited:
I think I may have figured it out. OP says it is 29mm OD. So could it be a spacer placed ahead of the 24mm adapter so that it doesn't slide too far up the 29mm motor tube?
Thanks! I suspect that I don't need it for a "D" engine. There is also a green ring with no apparent purpose. Oh well. Now onto decals. I plan to scale the diagram the provided for location. Getting them placed the same on the six "booster" will be a challenge for my 70 yo fingers. I plan to use water with the decals to allow adjustment. I'll use tweezers or an Exacto knife to hold them. Any advice?

Back