Quest Icarus Question

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Originally posted by rokitflite
What kind of nylon parachutes do you use? A D motor will lift a 24" chute by thrustline just fine. The attached picture is of a BT-60 video camera rocket that has flown with C5-3s, C11-5s and D12-3s. The Ds put it and its 24" nylon parachute up to around 700 feet.
A 24 inch chute is a bit exessive. We used a 18 inch chute with a huge spill hole in it, and that was for an eggloft. Our eggs never broke

Tarc3,
The point of that post was not about the size of the chute or the payload it was recovering, it was that the nylon chutes are not dramaically heavier than plastic. Additionally Egg=$.10 and a couple of seconds of pushing for a chicken, Video Camera=$30 and hours worth of fabrication to make a nice fit into the rocket for the builder... I'd pay the extra few bucks for nylon.

Havoc,
They DO make those cameras with sound, but Ebay does not allow them to be sold on their site (like rocket engines). After I finish this reply I will post an exact address of one of the 200mw cameras that I had bought. As I said earlier in this post though, I now use the 800mw ones that have MUCH better range and cost only $10 or so more. I have bought several with sound befor Ebay banned them, now I buy them from one of the Chinese sellers outside of ebay, www.hkentrust.com I believe. I have not tried converting one of those little pen cams yet, thanks for that link though, I DO want to try it out!

Actually it was egg=6000 dollars.:D

2357Tarc.jpg

Here's one like the camera I bought.
https://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=48632&item=5710849948
The guy had pretty good feedback so I figured I'd give it a whirl. It's a gamble getting them from Hong Kong but I've gotten other electronic parts okay.
If I have to I will make a better receiving antenna. Like I said, I'm not looking for perfect - just want to see it work. If it works well, I may upgrade. Or not. Who knows?
Could also improve the transmitting antenna by making sure it is the right length and adding a counterpoise (basically the 'ground' half of the antenna).
We're just 'playing' anyway. Object it so have fun. If I get the rocket to work and send it up and I get some video - I'm going to be happy. Oh, and I forgot one other important thing: get the rocket & cam back alive!! :D
Tarc3 - that was one expensive egg! ;)
Dan
<><

OK,
I'm impressed that you risked a "$6000 Egg" with a plastic chute? My club NARHAMS helped run that event, congratulations. I am discussing launching a video camera rocket that another member of this forum is building. Since I've constructed several of them and had about 25 years in the hobby I feel I have something to directly contribute to his project. If you have any contributions to that end that would be great. Otherwise egglofting should be a new thread. Congrats again and I hope you kick some butt at TARC next year!!!

Rockitflite,
I went to that website but I couldn't find the price for the cameras. How much does one of those 800mw cameras with audio cost (including shipping) and one of those without sound (including shipping)? I can't really afford one right now but I am interested in one. Thanks!

-Chris

Hi Chris,
I believe the cost with shipping on the sound camera was about $45. I am not sure of the direct price of the video only ones because I have only bought these off of Ebay. The guy selling them was kicked off of Ebay for selling the ones with sound, but has come back with the name Chmiracle (I think this is the right spelling, I will check after this and try to confirm it). I sent the money for 2 of them to their paypal account and the cameras arrived about 2 weeks later in perfect condition from China.

Scott, I got the camera. Doesn't work for more than 30 seconds (I tried everything: batteries, power supply, made a quick receive antenna...). I emailed the guy, will see what they will do. I don't want to tear into it unless I find out they won't replace or refund. :mad:
I bought another off eBay - looked like just a regular individual was selling. Didn't know how to hook it up. Anyway they had 100% positive feedback so I took a chance. It looks like an 800 mW model. The transmitter is a separate piece from the camera.
:confused:

Hey Dan,
Sorry to hear about the bum camera! The good news is that I just finished launching 3 of my 800mw models like the one you are getting this past week at NARAM. I built an antenna from that website I posted a little ways back and the range was fantastic!!! The sport range was about 600 ft from the receiver, then I launched a 6oz camera model with an Estes E9-6 and had PERFECT reception for the entire flight. I am going to a high power meet Sunday and I am going to try to launch one of these things with an F motor to see if I can get it to go out of range. If it makes it to 2000+ feet and the signal remains clear, I will be very happy. Keep me posted on the camera project!

-Scott

Scott,
latest word on the cameras! The 800 mW camera arrived. Works fine, the tuning knob has a rough spot but I can replace the pot if that becomes a problem. The receiver is a just video BUT the camera has a microphone! A little hard to use without an AV receiver though.
The other camera works fine but like I told you the receiver is no good. Sent it back to Hong Kong and I've been promised a quick turn around. We'll see.
The payload tube for my Icarus looks like it had been smashed but it looks like it had been smashed and then packaged as everything else was fine. I've already received the replacement from Quest!
Vidroc is on the way!
:cool:

Hey Dan,
Well further testing has taken place... I built a booster stage for my BT-60 camera/booster and flew it with a D12-0 staged to a E9-6. That thing went up forever, I am guessing around 1400 feet! With that patch antenna I built I got a clear picture all the way until touch down! I am now working on a 3 D12-0 to 3 D12-7 engine cluster to put one of the cameras up on. I am determined to break the 2000 foot mark!!! I have attached a picture of the model with the new (naked) booster, I will follow with a picture I took of the TV screen at the apogee of the flight. The second picture is crappy but it is the best I could do right now:rolleyes: Jeeze, I built this rocket to sell on Ebay but I am having too much fun with it!!!

Yeah,
Alot of those 800mw cameras HAVE microphones but you are right, there is no audio on the receiver. Additionally the transmitter is not set up to send the sound either (notice that no white wire goes into the transmitter. You CAN get these camera/transmitter/receiver sets with sound for about $50, but you have to buy it from one of the Hong Kong sellers outside of Ebay. I have bought a couple with no problems.

Just a note to those who may not be aware of it (but I suspect you are) - 6 D12 motors have a combined propellant mass that puts the rocket beyond the weight limits of "Model Rocket" or "Large Model Rocket". It becomes a "High Powered Rocket".

Originally posted by rokitflite
Hey Dan,
Well further testing has taken place... I built a booster stage for my BT-60 camera/booster and flew it with a D12-0 staged to a E9-6. That thing went up forever, I am guessing around 1400 feet! With that patch antenna I built I got a clear picture all the way until touch down! I am now working on a 3 D12-0 to 3 D12-7 engine cluster to put one of the cameras up on. I am determined to break the 2000 foot mark!!! I have attached a picture of the model with the new (naked) booster, I will follow with a picture I took of the TV screen at the apogee of the flight. The second picture is crappy but it is the best I could do right now:rolleyes: Jeeze, I built this rocket to sell on Ebay but I am having too much fun with it!!!

Hi Fred,
Yes, thanks for the heads up. I have done high power before. One of my super 8 cameras flew on a 32 C6-0s and a D12-0 staged to 32 C6-7s and a D12-7 cluster for a total of 66 motors out on Lucerne dry lake. I love black powder!!! This one I am building will fly at a high power meet with all of the appropriate precautions.:D

Scott,
How'd you make your shroud? I was thinking of making it out of 1/16" balsa, both sides and the top and then glueing some 1/8" balsa to the sides to glue the mirror to.

Awesome picture, BTW. May not be the best possible picture but what you see is cool!

Hi Dan,
The way you are suggesting of making the mirror shroud is just fine. You may want to use some thin sheet styrene instead of balsa though, that way you will have one less part to sand & fill. I stole my mirror hood off of an Astrocam (I was lazy). I have since made a mold of a sleeker one that I intend to resin cast if I get the time.

What about parachutes? The kit includes two. One to go with the payload section and one to go with the 'booster'
I was thinking about going with just one. Maybe one 18" mylar or nylon chute? Or maybe just go with the two stock chutes but add some shock cord to the 'booster' section.

I've already put a 3' shock cord on the bottom 'plug' of my payload bay.
The 'plug' is actually a tube coupler with a card bulkhead. I reinforced it with some index card to better glue it in the tube. I think I'll attach the 'plug' to the payload tube with three small screws and expoxy nuts on the inside of the 'plug' Something like 2-56 screws. That way I can load and un-load the camera easier.

I'm going to attach the nose cone to the payload tube with a short section of shock cord - just in case.

I would like to eventualy add an altimeter to the Icarus as well. That Altimate I is cool - only 4 grams!

Hey Dan,
On the two-staged one pictured I used 2 chutes. The camera was recovered on a 16", 8 shroud line nylon chute, the booster on an Estes plastic 18" chute with the meatball cut out of the center. This gave both parts a nice gentle recovery. I would not use the stock Quest paracute for the camera section by any means!

Yes!!! Make sure you strengthen that little cardboard disc where the shock cord attaches!!!! I would actually try to put a 3/32" hard plywood disc in its place.

Lastly, can you make the camera assembly slide into the payload section from the top, then line it up with a hole under the mirror hood? This way you can glue the bottom coupler on and use a strip of vinyl tape on the outside of the nose cone body tube joint to hold it in place. Sort of the way the Estes Cineroc went together. I have attached a picture of my 35mm Quest tube camera assembly. It did not use a mirror hood but it slides in the tube like I described.

Hey Dan,
Finally after messing with my digital video camera I was able to pull a couple of good apogee shots off of my videos! These are all from a high power meet on Kent Island here in Maryland. Each one was from a D12-0 staged to an E9-6. OK, now I gotta fight with the stupid images to make them bigger...

Scott, interesting pictures. But you're right. A little small. ;)
I built the shroud last night. Went great. Removed the power plug on the 200 mW camera and soldered the battery connector on to it. I built a little 1/16" th. balsa 'carrier' to mount the camera and velcro the battery to.
Do I really need a power switch? I was thinking of getting some NiMH 9 volt rechargeable batteries. I have good luck with AA NiMH.
I'll post some pictures of the shroud. I really tried hard on it and it looks good. I had a 'bad' payload tube for the Icarus and I used it as a form to sand the shourd to fit the payload tube. If I don't crush it or something else it will come up near perfect.
I'll have to measure and fit the camera board into the payload tube. Then I can glue the shroud onto the payload tube. On my way! :cool:

Originally posted by bcdlr
I'm looking for a rocket to send up a wireless video camera and I'm seriously considering a Quest Icarus.

Consider using a small chute for the payload/camera and just a streamer for the body. I had bust a snap swivel today, and the body came down on a 12" chute WAY downrange. It clearly didn't need it being so light. A small X-chute on the payload would bring it down straight and safe.

Back