Quest - Grunt Gallery

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike Howie

Reaction score
Quest recently came out with the "Grunt". A nice, easy, 24 mm motor rocket.
Something to fly on an D and get back. The streamer recovery also helps.:D

Post copied to gallery with permission

Grunt (Large).jpg

Grunt_launch (Large).jpg

Grunt_streamer (Large).jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I didn't do a build thread for it, but I'm really happy with the way the painting turned out, so I had to post.

The kit came with bullet hole stickers and I figured that if a rocket had been shot up like that, it's not going to be all pristine and shiny. So I decided to try and give it a beat up and well flown weathered look.

After the normal finishing, I painted it with a lighter green. I sanded it down so it wasn't too thick, but so that it was still on there.

I then covered it again with a gray primer and sprayed an orange - red (Rustoleum Paprika) over some parts of it (first two pictures). This was followed by complete coverage with hunter green. The paprika color was specifically chosen in hopes that it would look like rust in the finished product.

The cone got its primer, followed by a dark red, and covered with the metallic silver. Once that dried I painted the nose tip a dark red. I had basically what is on the package with the addition of a red tip on the nose and no stickers yet (third picture). At this point, I was pretty happy with the look and started second guessing the distressing idea. But I figured if I didn't like how it turned out, I could always just repaint it.

When the paint had all dried, I took a coarse sandpaper and at random locations sanded down. In some spots I sanded to the light green, others to the paprika, and some to the primer. At first I was being really careful and trying not to do too much, but it wasn't looking natural, so I just went to town with the sandpaper. Once I had it looking sufficiently beat up, I took a fine sandpaper to smooth the surface and try to get rid of any shine left on it. Then the stickers went on (last picture).

Tomorrow night gets a very light clear coat to protect the stickers. I'll try to get a picture or two in the sunlight so it shows up better.

Attachments

• Grunt1.jpg
    Grunt1.jpg
    165.4 KB · Views: 65
  • Grunt2.jpg
    Grunt2.jpg
    148.3 KB · Views: 65
  • Grunt3.jpg
    Grunt3.jpg
    172.6 KB · Views: 58
  • Grunt4.jpg
    Grunt4.jpg
    144.2 KB · Views: 55
I got a couple more pictures in some sunlight where the “damage” is more visible. Now to sit and hope that the weather is good for the next club launch at the end of the month.

Attachments

• 2011-05-09_18-14-20_371.jpg
    2011-05-09_18-14-20_371.jpg
    309.3 KB · Views: 62
  • 2011-05-09_18-15-43_889.jpg
    2011-05-09_18-15-43_889.jpg
    287.2 KB · Views: 69
As much as I liked Mr. Gneiss Guy's roughed-up Lil' Grunt, I couldn't bring myself to put anything but a shiny finish on it. This is why I don't build scale rockets!

I built my Grunt pretty much stock, except that I added some balsa stiffener ribs to the centering rings. The kit was very high quality, but I really don't like the peel-n-stick decals. They are very thick and almost impossible to blend in with the paint. My other gripe is that the 3/16" launch lug supplied with the kit does not fit on my own or our club's 3/16" rods. I ended up launching from a 1/8" rod with no problem. I wish that I had test-fit the LL before assembly.

My kit is finished with Rustoelum paints - metallic nickel for the nose and gloss Army green for the rest. Lil' Grunt flew last weekend at our AMOREA club launch on a C11-3 with a 12" chute - perfect flight. Except for the launch lug conundrum, that is. It should scream on a D12.

Grunt 2.jpg

Last edited:
Very nice Rockets everyone!!!
That's an interesting Nose Cone that comes with that Kit.

Back