Quest D's And E's

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

seo

Reaction score
Anybody have any info on the rumored D's and E's?

Average thrust, delays etc?

nope but I hope they are 90% D and E and perhaps D15/20 and E15/20.....that would be cool.....an E20-0 to E20-8 ahhh 2 stage BP........ perhaps both in the same 24mm x 100mm casing ? I can dream can't I ?

Quest 24mm motors?

Cool! :D

I like Quest motors - loads more smoke & noise than their equivilent Brand E offering!

I agree and i also prefer the tiger tails and i like getting the wadding with the motors aswell.

I like the smoke too! But with a rocket like the Fatboy with a wide centering ring , smoke stains that thing like no tomorow. I only ever use the Quest wadding aswell , they are more easy to pack other than the Eses type. Tigertails are things I've never liked , maybe because I've never used enough of them ;)

What interests me is that Tigertails are essentially the same thing as an Aerotech copperhead.. Oddly enough, i rarely see a tigertail fail, but the copperheads do all the time... odd..

I'd love to see Quest make D and E size motors and hopefully, they'll cost less than the Estes ones.

I've never used Quest motors myself because no one here sells them locally but I've heard that they're just as good as Estes and they are cheaper too.

Someone please feel free to send me one to try.:D

I hope this rumor is true:)
I've tried Quest motors a few times, I liked them alot, heck I like all rocket motors:)

Ooh...this does sound really cool. I hope this rumor is true!

At the NARAM Manufacturer Forum, Bill Stine announced that Quest will be selling D20 motors in standard length 18mm casings. Repeat: 18 mm, not 24 mm.

They will also do away with the Tigertail igniter; replacing it is the new Q2 igniter with a glass bead to keep the leads from shorting so easily.

Bill

Originally posted by Bill
At the NARAM Manufacturer Forum, Bill Stine announced that Quest will be selling D20 motors in standard length 18mm casings. Repeat: 18 mm, not 24 mm.

So I guess it's going to be a barely D given that it is a standard 18mm, so less powerful than the Estes D. Pitty - I would have liked to see a 24mm full D, especially something like a D24-0 to get the big clusters moving.

They will also do away with the Tigertail igniter; replacing it is the new Q2 igniter with a glass bead to keep the leads from shorting so easily.

I quite like the TTs - they are reliable and easy to use as they are a more solid design than Estes. The Q2 should be better than Estes but i'm not convinced that it is better than the TT - especially with a high power controller.

Hope the motors are going to be in the 6 packs with the cost saving over the 3 packs. Even at 18mm if the price is right I will be flying these a lot.

Q2 = similar or identical to the old MRC igniters (Bill worked for MRC). Clusterable. 6V fireable.

We've had excellent results with this year's tigertails. last year's were similar to Copperheads in reliability. And we use a car battery for the club and go through about 600 to 750 Quest mtors a year.

D20 in 18mm and standard length. I'm thinking Widowmakers packaged for the USA. Could this be? If so, they make a seriously cool sound when you fire them. Widowmakers use a different propellant. Not BP and not really composite, but higher Isp than BP. The were a full 20 N-s in an almost standard casing but iut was fiberglass.

I await actual facts on the specific details. The Hobby Visions show in Las Vegas is going to be very exciting this year!

I'm quivering in antici.......Pation.

Bill

I just read this on r.m.r. :

Bill Stine annouced at the Manufactures forum at NARAM Tonight that he
will no longer produce the prefab plastic Micro Max toy rocket, and he
will sellout the remaining stock that he has, However he will continue
to make the micro Max motors along with a new line of kits, and a new
igniter that can used with normal launch equipment. He also anounced
that he will be releasing a new 18mm 2.75" AP D20 soon.

I was wondering...can't see how they can stuff that many newtons in an 18mm tube unless it's about 6" long!

I'd love to see a good inexpensive E15 BP motor.

Woohoo! (I think)

Well, to me this is great news for some Estes birds that have 18mm mounts but are underpowered on a C. I am thinking specifically of my Estes Space Shuttle (full stack) but could also see this being good for the Outlander, which I don't have yet but would like to build. So even if it's not a so-called full D, if it's more power than a C I'll take it. I have been hoping Aerotech would resume production of their 18mm D's but if not, this could be the answer. Smart of Quest to pick up on the fact that there is big demand for this, can't wait!

Glenn

Maybe it's time to go over to eBay and load up on those Exoskell and Venus Probe kits????

Originally posted by GlennW
Woohoo! (I think)

Well, to me this is great news for some Estes birds that have 18mm mounts but are underpowered on a C. I am thinking specifically of my Estes Space Shuttle (full stack) but could also see this being good for the Outlander, which I don't have yet but would like to build. So even if it's not a so-called full D, if it's more power than a C I'll take it. I have been hoping Aerotech would resume production of their 18mm D's but if not, this could be the answer. Smart of Quest to pick up on the fact that there is big demand for this, can't wait!

Glenn

from RMR :

Bill Stine annouced at the Manufactures forum at NARAM Tonight that he will no longer produce the prefab plastic Micro Max toy rocket, and he will sellout the remaining stock that he has, However he will continue to make the micro Max motors along with a new line of kits, and a new igniter that can used with normal launch equipment.

He also anounced that he will be releasing a new 18mm 2.75" AP D20 soon.

wonder what the price will be in relation to the BP D12? wonder who is making it?

D20 is verrrry close to D21.

https://nar.org/SandT/pdf/Aerotech/D21.pdf

Could it be?

By the way, it's much more fun to read these posts here and on r.m.r. than to call Bill on his cellphone. I figure he will release info when and how he wants to release it, and then we can respond with the appropriate level of frenzy.

What would Dieter say on Sprockets?

Originally posted by shockwaveriderz
from RMR :

Bill Stine annouced at the Manufactures forum at NARAM Tonight that he will no longer produce the prefab plastic Micro Max toy rocket, and he will sellout the remaining stock that he has, However he will continue to make the micro Max motors along with a new line of kits, and a new igniter that can used with normal launch equipment.

He also anounced that he will be releasing a new 18mm 2.75" AP D20 soon.

wonder what the price will be in relation to the BP D12? wonder who is making it?

Dieter would say....

Heer ist de new Qvest D-20 motors...

Und now, vee dance!!

No.

The appropriate response will be;

"I'm as excited as a little girl"

Originally posted by astronboy
Dieter would say....

Heer ist de new Qvest D-20 motors...

Und now, vee dance!!

Next spring or summer? hopefully they will be out and about in time for NARAM47..... I assume that this may also include new D sized and powered kits too... right now a estes d12 @ 17ns costs approx. $3.50-4.00 so if these are 19-20Ns I expect what? $5-6 per? what was the cost of the aerotech SU D21? Any idea where these are being manufactured? They going to do it themselves or farm it out?

Originally posted by Chilly
I was wondering...can't see how they can stuff that many newtons in an 18mm tube unless it's about 6" long!

I think they stuff those Newton-seconds in there by using composite propellant instead of BP

Originally posted by shockwaveriderz
.....an E20-0 to E20-8 ahhh 2 stage BP........

It remains to be seen whether these new motors can be stacked-n-staged like Estes-style BP motors, or if they will require electric ignition of upper stage motors like other composites.

Who knows, maybe they'll come up with a new motor design or some other new way to stage these directly?

However they do it, I'll be the first on my block to be buying and flying these things

Originally posted by shreadvector

>D20 in 18mm and standard length. I'm thinking Widowmakers packaged for the USA. Could this be? If so, they make a seriously cool sound when you fire them. Widowmakers use a different propellant. Not BP and not really composite, but higher Isp than BP. The were a full 20 N-s in an almost >standard casing but iut was fiberglass.<

The Widow Makers I remember ( from 30 years ago ) were C 15 motors - though that didn't fill the casing so I guess a 20n/s motor was possible

https://www.nar.org/NARTS/mitj72.pdf

The propellant for these motors was nitrocellulous based, with an Isp of 130 sec it falls between BP and APCP. Now I have always wondered - the military used single and double based nitrocellulous propellants for years, why has no American manufacturer tried to use it for model rockets or HPR? I'm sure there is an obvious reason that I have overlooked.

Dale Greene

There was an urban legend that someone who is a motor wizard at Estes had some and dropped one off a table and it 'went off'.

I said it was an urban legend.....

Those are seriously cool motors. I've seen a few fired.

Originally posted by bazookadale
Originally posted by shreadvector

>D20 in 18mm and standard length. I'm thinking Widowmakers packaged for the USA. Could this be? If so, they make a seriously cool sound when you fire them. Widowmakers use a different propellant. Not BP and not really composite, but higher Isp than BP. The were a full 20 N-s in an almost >standard casing but iut was fiberglass.<

The Widow Makers I remember ( from 30 years ago ) were C 15 motors - though that didn't fill the casing so I guess a 20n/s motor was possible

https://www.nar.org/NARTS/mitj72.pdf

The propellant for these motors was nitrocellulous based, with an Isp of 130 sec it falls between BP and APCP. Now I have always wondered - the military used single and double based nitrocellulous propellants for years, why has no American manufacturer tried to use it for model rockets or HPR? I'm sure there is an obvious reason that I have overlooked.

Dale Greene

OK...enough of the rumors!!

We have:
Tim from Apogee
Carl from SEMROC (Carl has some motor knowledge too!)
Jim from Fliskits
Shrox from...Shrox

Somebody get Bill Stine to join this forum!

Horses mouth so to speak!

sandman

Bill

AWESOME! a cheaper (almost) alternative to the AT D21!!

Dear Mr. Stine,

RELEASE THE D20 OR SUFFER THE CONSEQUENCES! :p :D ;)

Hee hee. I just want to let ya know I'm really excited about the 'new' Quest, and I can't wait for the goods to start a coming.

Jason

Back