Quest DC-Y DELTA CLIPPER

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

billeblurzz

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Today I also flew this finless DELTA CLIPPER. I built this a few years ago but never flew it. I think its OOP now. I built it with the DISPLAY nozzles that were not supposed to be used if flying. :)

What's this.... you show a picture on the launch pad and don't give us any other details or pictures. "What's with you man" LOL. So, how did it fly? Nice work by the way.:D

Liftoff on a C6-3 only....big arching flight...pretty good for a rocket with no fins....did not lose the display nozzles although two came loose....did strip one of the shrouds on the new fliskits chute that I borrowed from my STINGRAY!!! RATTS!!!:mad: Unique rocket....anyone else fly one of these?

Could you email or post a pic on here of the bottom ( Buisness End ) Of that rocket please ? Im just interested in it's desgin......and those nozzles look a bit crispy lol!

Hey BillEblurzz...thanks for posting on the Clipper...I just picked one of these up but haven't started the build yet. It is a cool looking little rocket.

This is one I wish Quest would bring back. I've had an interest in the real Delta Clipper since reading "Halfway to Anywhere" by Harry Stine years ago. The Venture Star was chosen by the Clinton Administration as the shuttle replacement over the Clipper and we know how that ended up. I have one that I've had since they started producing the kits and I guess I won't build it unless Quest starts making them again. Can't bring myself to tear open that bag knowing that if something happens to it, I might not be able to replace it.

How is the body of that thing constructed?

I'd love to get one if Quest ever reintroduces them.

I used to work for McDonnell Douglas, nothing to do with the DC-X or DC-Y program, but I still have an interest, and it was still a cool concept that worked well as far as they took it in the test flights.

It just has a central tube with struts coming out perpendicular and a body shroud that wraps around that frame. Fairly simple. Not scale, but a nice model nonetheless.

Here is the DELTA CLIPPER with the control flaps added back to the model as they are on the actual prototype. I have a video somewhere of the actual craft in flight. It lifts of to some height and hovers on the rocket motors...then almost flies horizontally...returns to vertical and lands back on the pod feet that extend when it nears the ground! One craft was destroyed when one of the legs failed and it fell over and caught fire.

I just bought one of these a couple of months ago.

Although they are discontinued, Discount Rocketry has them in stock.

Not to be confused with Discount Hobby Center which a lot of forum members have had problems with.

Here is the aft end showing the display nozzles as they are on the prototype...and the single 18mm motor mount. If someone wanted to try to cluster this...it would have to have perfect ignition and motor burn...with NO fins this is on the edge as it is!!:eek: I knew what KARL was thinking when he wanted to see the "business" end!;) I was lucky to not lose these nozzles yesterday...two were just barely hanging by a layer of paper...there may be some terrific turbulence around them in flight!

If anyone has one unbuilt, you should build it...if not to fly, it makes a unique display model to add to your collection...and there really was a prototype. Here is how it is constructed under the aeroshroud...a neat space frame...too bad it is hidden!

The kit comes with a wealth of information about how the prototype flies. If you notice the flight profile...that is pretty much how the model flew yesterday...quick liftoff with a giant arching flight....I guess to align the tiles to the atmosphere ;) ...it was really moving when it deployed the chute...will use ripstop nylon next time!!:confused:

I built all the "aeroshrouds" when QUEST brought them out and the DELTA CLIPPER is the best flying. Here is the "SPACE PLANE" that I flew once and forgot about....worst flyer since that foam "Swinger" that used to be a Holverson design.:mad:

Hey there, BillEblurzz

Those are great pictures.

I just got one of these and I plan on building it as soon as I get a couple of other projects finished.

Seeing yours makes me want to start mine. Just what I need, another half finished rocket :rolleyes:

I just saw a DC-Y Space Clipper up on ebay now. I guess there are some out there! I still have the one I got at a hobby shop a few years back. Only thing I don't like about it is those Quest parachutes, I put an 18" mylar in mine some time back.
Aron

Originally posted by billEblurzz
Here is the DELTA CLIPPER with the control flaps added back to the model as they are on the actual prototype. I have a video somewhere of the actual craft in flight. It lifts of to some height and hovers on the rocket motors...then almost flies horizontally...returns to vertical and lands back on the pod feet that extend when it nears the ground! One craft was destroyed when one of the legs failed and it fell over and caught fire.

Yep, I've seen that video; it's pretty impressive! And I must have seen it at the same website as you did, since I also read about the one that fell over when the leg(s) failed to deploy properly.

Originally posted by billEblurzz
Here is the aft end showing the display nozzles as they are on the prototype...and the single 18mm motor mount. If someone wanted to try to cluster this...it would have to have perfect ignition and motor burn...with NO fins this is on the edge as it is!!:eek: I knew what KARL was thinking when he wanted to see the "business" end!;) I was lucky to not lose these nozzles yesterday...two were just barely hanging by a layer of paper...there may be some terrific turbulence around them in flight!

Thanks for them photos billEblurzz! That would be awesome to cluster , just cluster the other nozzles with C6-0's and add a little epoxy over the top of the motor just to stop peices of burning propelllent setting fire to that 'skeleton'.
That looks like a big fibre or foam centering ring?

Latest posts

Back