Quest Big Dog Kit

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Initiator001

Reaction score
Thanks to the efforts of Nettie at Quest Aerospace, the Big Dog kit I ordered on Wednesday arrived at my doorstep today (Saturday). :)

The kit parts come packed in a sturdy cardboard box.

This model is next on my "To Build" list. :D

Quest Big Dog Kit Box.jpg

Quest Big Dog Kit Open Box.jpg

Thanks to the efforts of Nettie at Quest Aerospace, the Big Dog kit I ordered on Wednesday arrived at my doorstep today (Saturday). :)

The kit parts come packed in a sturdy cardboard box.

This model is next on my "To Build" list. :D

Hey, I recognize that label! Do you like it?

It might have been Bill. I did the instructions.

Shrox,

I was reviewing the Big Dog kit instructions and Step 9 calls for attaching the launch lug. There is no marking/spacing guide for the launch lug, only that the launch lug is attached 10" from the aft end of the rocket. :confused:

You (Quest) may want to add a launch lug alignment line to the fin marking guide. ;)

I know what to do but others may not.

Just a thought.

Bob

Is this a new kit, I can't find it on the Quest site?

Yes, the Big Dog is one of Quest's new Advanced Rocketry kits.

Nettie told me that this model has not yet been 'activated' on the Quest website but you can contact Quest directly to order it.

I have, also, discovered that eHobbies and Horizon Hobby have the Big Dog kit in stock.

What ever happened to the E and F BP motors that Quest was importing from China? As I recall, they were suppose to be available last year.

I finished building my Big Dog kit this evening.

Weight without parachute/paint/decals: 5.4 oz.

Next up: Primer! :D

Quest Big Dog before primer.jpg

Looks good so far Bob!! And I guess living out there in SoCal, you don't have to wait for spring to be able to paint! :rolleyes:

Looks good so far Bob!! And I guess living out there in SoCal, you don't have to wait for spring to be able to paint! :rolleyes:

You got that right, George. ;)

Although, we are expecting rain here in SoCal beginning Sunday night and going until Saturday. :y:

However, I am sure there will be some clear patches of weather during that same time which will allow me to finish painting the Big Dog. :) I applied primer to the model this morning.

Stay warm. :D

My Quest Big Dog build is moving along nicely. :)

Today, I sanded down the last primer coat and applied the gloss white color to the rocket.

Tomorrow (Wednesday) the nose cone will be painted red. According to Nettie at Quest (Just following Fred Shecter's advice ;) ) she thought the red color was Krylon Banner Red. I will do a color test and see if it matches the 'red' on the decal sheet.

Nettie was also kind enough to tell me some things about the decal placement on the model by looking at the actual photo model in Bill Stine's office. :D

I may get this kit done by Saturday so I can fly it (If it does not rain).

Quest Big Dog in basic color.jpg

Well, shucks.

Kryon Banner Red is 'too' red for the Big Dog decals. :( Needs more orange in the color.

Off to the hobby shop. Maybe Tamiya has a color that will be a better match.

Back from the hobby shop. ;)

The closest I could find to the decal color was Testors #1231 Gloss Bright Red.

I've painted the nose cone with this paint and will give it until tomorrow to dry before handling it.

Decals scheduled for Thursday! :cool:

Nose cone has been painted and repainted (It had some 'runs' in it :eek: ).

Decals have been applied.

Tomorrow/Friday, the Big Dog gets a coat of Future floor polish then the shock cord and parachute will be attached.

First flight will be Saturday (Weather permitting).

I will post pictures when the model is finished. :)

My Big Dog model is finished. :)

The decals really 'make' this model. :D

Weight without motor is 7.1 oz. I added a baffle and longer shock cord to the model.

Weather permitting, it will fly tomorrow/Saturday.

Quest Big Dog Finished.jpg

Quest Big Dog and other MPR models.jpg

We just got them in our stores today. I've got one from Quest that I have to build... Unless you want to send me yours Bob.:D

No launch for the Big Dog. :(

Our Section launch field has too much standing water. Launch cancelled.

I will try, again, in two weeks.

No launch for the Big Dog. :(

Our Section launch field has too much standing water. Launch cancelled.

I will try, again, in two weeks.

We had absolutely perfect weather in Los Angeles at the Santa Fe Dam. No wind for most of the morning, then just a breeze. Crystal clear skies (with an amazing amount of snow on Mt Wilson). Ground was barely damp beacuse it's a DAM and the ground is sandy to allow the water to percolate down into the groundwater supply. I simply placed a few plastic bags under the boxes I placed on the ground.

Some good TARC practice flights on an E15 and an F32. Those F32 motors kick @$$.

Sunday will be my second attempt to launch my Quest Big Dog model.

There is predicted to be rain Saturday night and Sunday afternoon/evening at the Los Angeles flying site.

No rain on Sunday morning, however. :D

It's time to fly!

I arrived at the launch site in Los Angeles to find it raining. :(

There were some 'crazy' people who were actually launching rockets in the rain. I stayed in my car. :rolleyes:

The rain finally stop and the ground water soaked in.

Flying time! :)

After flying several models, it was time to fly the Quest Big Dog.

It was prepped with a D12-5.

Upon ignition, the Big Dog rose into the sky on a trail of flame & smoke.

The parachute ejected at apogee and the model floated to the ground (My homemade copy of the AeroTech baffle system worked very well, no damage at all to the parachute).

On landing, a fin broke off. :mad: (I used a double Titebond glue joint with 30 minute epoxy fin fillets).

Otherwise, not a scratch.

I will fix the fin and fly it again.

SCRA launch 02-21-10-16 Quest Big Dog ready to launch.jpg

SCRA Launch 02-21-10-18 Big Dog away.jpg

SCRA Launch 02-21-10-20 Big Dog still climbing.jpg

Looks like a good performer Bob, great looking build.

However, I think Quest really missed on the design. No reason for this design not to have used TTW and basswood fins. Would make it much more durable for a minimum weight gain.

I mean these kits are listed as "Advanced Rocketry" in the Quest catalog, why not build them with a few of the advanced techniques?

Looks like a good performer Bob, great looking build.

However, I think Quest really missed on the design. No reason for this design not to have used TTW and basswood fins. Would make it much more durable for a minimum weight gain.

I mean these kits are listed as "Advanced Rocketry" in the Quest catalog, why not build them with a few of the advanced techniques?

That is reserved for the future "Advanceder Rocketry" line...;)

Back