Quest Aries

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DynaSoar

Reaction score
While visiting Keven at Countdown Hobbies, I asked of he had among his collection of older stuff, any MPC birds with the plastic fin can (I've always liked their Nike Smoke). He didn't, but he pointed out that Quest had some models with plastic fin cans.

Among them I found a really nice looking bird, the Aries, which I bought and built.

The design is sort of Delta/Ariane shape, with a larger main body, smaller upper body, and short payload section flaring back out to the original diameter. The paper tubes have a very excellent white finish on them with barely any spiral visible. I built mine as-is (as they intend) and it looks fine.

The fin can comes in two pieces, which snap together over the motor tube, with tabs on the insides of the can halves protruding through slots in the tube and acting as engine block.

The fins snap into slots and then slide up into place, making a solid lock. There's also a small ring that snaps over the bottom and rotates so that tabs around its circumfrence situate under the fins, preventing them from sliding out. Glue would work as well, but this engineering of this is an extra neatism. Then there is a black plastic half-turn ring for positive motor retention.

There are some very nice color-on-clear vinyl decals with it. There are also some small plastic detail bits which aren't necessary but are a nice opition.

The design, implimentation and finish of this bird is worth twice the $10 I paid for it. If this is the way Quest is going, I'll be buying more of my LPR birds from them.

Originally posted by DynaSoar
If this is the way Quest is going, I'll be buying more of my LPR birds from them.

WOOHOO. I just got a Quest DC-Y Clipper. This an an AWESOME looking beast.

I am seriously thinking upscaling it. I have a whole set of 3" materials and hardware just waiting for a Good Idea. This may be it.

Finally got a pic;

While visiting Keven at Countdown Hobbies, I asked of he had among his collection of older stuff, any MPC birds with the plastic fin can (I've always liked their Nike Smoke). He didn't, but he pointed out that Quest had some models with plastic fin cans.

Among them I found a really nice looking bird, the Aries, which I bought and built.

The design is sort of Delta/Ariane shape, with a larger main body, smaller upper body, and short payload section flaring back out to the original diameter. The paper tubes have a very excellent white finish on them with barely any spiral visible. I built mine as-is (as they intend) and it looks fine.

The fin can comes in two pieces, which snap together over the motor tube, with tabs on the insides of the can halves protruding through slots in the tube and acting as engine block.

The fins snap into slots and then slide up into place, making a solid lock. There's also a small ring that snaps over the bottom and rotates so that tabs around its circumfrence situate under the fins, preventing them from sliding out. Glue would work as well, but this engineering of this is an extra neatism. Then there is a black plastic half-turn ring for positive motor retention.

There are some very nice color-on-clear vinyl decals with it. There are also some small plastic detail bits which aren't necessary but are a nice opition.

The design, implimentation and finish of this bird is worth twice the $10 I paid for it. If this is the way Quest is going, I'll be buying more of my LPR birds from them.

I had a problem with the Aries today. After several flights the paper tube had burned through, and when I went to pull the motor out, the paper ripped. With the 2 piece can glued together, there was no way to get a new tube in.

Not to worry! We can rebuild this bird.

I took off the half-turn motor retainer, removed the tube+ motor, pried off the fin retaining ring, and cut way all the plastic around the bottom of the fin can. A 24mm tube would then fit in it. But not all the way. There were some internal struts that prevented the tube from going in more than 1.5".

A few minutes with some needle nose pliers, and they were no longer a problem.

The inside of the fin can is 2.25". I took a piece of 24mm/BT50 tube that length, taped a 2.75" engine hook to it (with the upper end of the hook hanging over the top of the tube), swiped some epoxy around inside the fin can and slid the tube in.

Ta-da. This Aries is now C11/D12 capable. The motor hook, and therefore the motor, sticks out 1/2", but who cares.

If it weren't for the fact that there's an upper lip that was too thick to try to remove through the motor hole (or if it weren't yet glued together, nudge nudge wink wink), it could have taken an E sized tube/hook.

This same fix could be used on the newer Quest Nike Smoke with the 2 piece fin can. I checked mine, it'll work.

The motor hook, and therefore the motor, sticks out 1/2", but who cares.
The stability goobers care. ;)

Be sure to check for proper CG/CP!

yea the Quick kits use alot of plastic.(too much).I wish they would have kept the original style kits instead..atleast they are still pretty easy to find, I got a non quick kit nike smoke from hobby lobby.

Latest posts

Back