Quest Apollo parachute config.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gladiator1332

Reaction score
Right now I have the parachutes configured so that the rocket lands in two seperate pieces. IOn Rocket Reviews, one of the builders tied the chutes so that the rocket comes down in one piece...do you recommend this? I am a little worried about losing one of the pieces, so I cut a hole in the chute to prevent drifting...because I lost a few rockets because they drifted.

Thanks

I would probably be thinking much the same as you; how to mod the thing so it comes down together (the top half ain't much good without the bottom half, and vice versa). And I'm old and slow so I don't like chasing twice as many pieces.

Don't know if I would tie the chutes together, or simply use one to get it down faster.
I do know that I would use plenty of anchor string and shock cord between lower portion and chute, and about half as much anchor from there to upper portion. (Trying to get pieces to hang apart from each other, under the chute, to minimize banging and dents)

I've never done it on that particular model, but I have on another in the past. I had the same concern you do. And I think coming under two 'chutes looks cool. As longh as you adjust the shock cord (like powderburner said) you should be good-to-go.

Good Luck,
Weekends

I changed it so that the rocket lands all as one on two chutes. Now my only problem is now the quality of the chutes. One of those Quest chutes almost killed my Astra I...the chute never opened...luckily there was only small damage.

I'll launch it, see how it works out and if I am not happy with the chutes I'll replace them with Estes chutes.

Fliskits chutes are cheaper (pack of 3 for $2.45!!) and can be cut and assembled as 16", 12" or 8" chutes. I bought a number of them and really like them.

My son's first rocket was/is a Quest Apollo - the two section recovery is a pain. Nest time out we intend to extend the shock cord to about 12" and attach a parachute nearer the top section so they come down offset.
I also agree that the Quest Chutes are poor quality, especially if they have been packed for a while. I recently bought some nice mylar ones from thrustaero - can't remember the exact price, but came with precut mylar, kevlar shock cords, little brass swivels and double reinfocing rings for the corners. Very pretty as they descend.

I launched her today...sadly it fell high into a tree.:(

Moment of Silence...................................

ok...I am going to buy another Apollo kit very soon. Apollo II will be launched at a much bigger field, probably on a smaller engine.

That's too bad, a rocket as good-looking as the Apollo deserves better.

The solution to your problem, however, is simple, obvious, and fast.

Cut down the tree.

I will have to consider chopping the tree down:D ...lol

It's kinda big though and I'll need one hell of a chain saw.

I was going to buy a new Apollo anyway so I can have two of them to launch just in case I lost one of them, so I'll probably just buy another one....it was only $10.99 at the local hobby store.

To look on the bright side of things, it could have been much worse...I was considering either the Apollo or the Commanche III....I would really be crying if I had bought the commanche III and then lost it...that thing was around $30...so I went with the less expensive Apollo.

When I do get the new Apollo I am deffinatley going to do the chute config where it come down all as one piece...the dual chutes were awsome in the flight...

stupid tree:kill:

Back