Quest Aeroshroud Thickness (HL-20, X-30, DC-Y, Planet Probe)

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewster_rockit

Reaction score
I am trying to determine the proper thickness of cardstock to use for a Centuri X-24 / Quest HL-20 type model. My previous X-24 was printed on 110 lb stock and was prettymuch obliterated on a C6-3. If anybody has a Quest aeroshroud kit handy, I would be much obliged for a measurement of the shroud thickness. If I recall, the DC-Y kit had a thinner aeroshroud than HL-20 (DC-Y had an aft bulkhead so the shroud didn't need as much strength.) I also remember X-30 shroud being pretty similar in thickness to HL-20 (despite X-30 having an aft bulkhead.)

Much thanks for the help!

I am trying to determine the proper thickness of cardstock to use for a Centuri X-24 / Quest HL-20 type model. My previous X-24 was printed on 110 lb stock and was prettymuch obliterated on a C6-3. If anybody has a Quest aeroshroud kit handy, I would be much obliged for a measurement of the shroud thickness. If I recall, the DC-Y kit had a thinner aeroshroud than HL-20 (DC-Y had an aft bulkhead so the shroud didn't need as much strength.) I also remember X-30 shroud being pretty similar in thickness to HL-20 (despite X-30 having an aft bulkhead.)

HL-20 Centuri X-24 I believe I have that kit in storage.
How does one go about measuring thickness as small as that?

Brewster, I have both of those kits built, so I pulled out a dial calipers to measure the thickness of the paper, surprisingly I got the same thickness for both models even though the HL-20 feels much stiffer. The readings were 0.007 to 0.010, the same as a sheet of #110 cardstock that I have.

Goose

...printed on 110 lb stock and was pretty much obliterated on a C6-3...

The inner part can get scorched after a few flights. You could smear a layer of white glue around in there, or try some of that high-temp BBQ paint to help it last a little longer.

The inner part can get scorched after a few flights. You could smear a layer of white glue around in there, or try some of that high-temp BBQ paint to help it last a little longer.

My X-24 Bug shroud was badly burned on the last C6-3 launch. If the paper in the shroud isn't thick enough,
I think the shroud might collapse a little (closes in) during boost. If it gets too close to the engine flame it catches fire.
The BBQ paint might be a solution, but don't add too much weight!

The old Centuri Point had a reinforcement ring around the base lip of the shroud. Never had a problem with the Point launches.

Back