Quasi-Glassing Article

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boosterdude

Reaction score
I'm not sure how many of you have read the article in this months Sport Rocketry in regards to an alternate way of reinforcing BT's. Instead of wrapping fiberglass around the tube, you use panty-hose....plus size at that. I've actually been doing this for a while with the exception of using thinned epoxy instead of Polycrylic. Either way, this method works great and adds a noticeable amount of strength. I tried using the Polycylic method this weekend and it works good as well.

The only issue is you have to go in the store and buy panty-hose, and if that's not bad enough you have to get the chubby sizes. I recommend using a store that you scan yourself, much easier.

Or, ask your wife, girlfriend or significant other (which ever is willing :D) to buy them for you.

Cliff

Ask your wife or girlfriend to buy a plus size?? Are you suicidal???:eek:

One of the last words you may hear are "Do you THINK I need a PLUS SIZE!!!!"

You do realize that nylon doesn't add any structure? The only benefit you're getting is from the epoxy, and it's not providing a whole lot, without fibers of some sort to bond with.

-Kevin

You do realize that nylon doesn't add any structure?

Boosterdude,

You have to select a reinforcing material that is S T R O N G E R than what you are trying to reinforce.

Nylon is dead weight.

I have used and still do use panty hose on some of my mid and high power rockets. One is a simple 3" by 40" 4FNC with a 38mm motor mount that I regularly fly on I-285 Redlines. I have several flights on this one with no problems. I don't think the nylon is quite dead weight even if its only purpose is to hold a thin layer of epoxy around the tube the body tube ends up being much stronger with out the weight of doing a real fiberglass job. Another thing I have done that really adds to the final look of the rocket is to wrap the body with some fabric that has a cool pattern. I Have used camo, flames, cow skin you get a instant paint job on your rocket. Panty hose and fabric might not be for the "mach busters" but it does add quite a bit of strength.

Andy Hansom

I don't have my camara to take a good picture so here is a lousy cell phone picture. This is a 3FNC 3" rocket 36" tall with a pair of 24mm motor mounts. It's flown on a pair of C11's and up a pair of F-24's. I laminated the fins and the body tube using some standard high power glassing tequniches like Peel ply and breather cloth the only differance is I used a cool flame fabric from the sewing store.

img060.jpg

Last edited:
dude, just go buy some thin (1 oz or less) S-glass.

the strength in fiber reinforcements is from the fibers, not the epoxy!

Could you use a really light glass and still use Polycrilic or another alternate non-epoxy based coating?

Could you use a really light glass and still use Polycrilic or another alternate non-epoxy based coating?

The two things I know will work are epoxy & polyester resins. Not sure about something else; I don't even know what Polycrilic is.

-Kevin

YES...

Check out this thread on reinforcing foam models: Covering foam with Silkspan or fiberglass, and Minwax Polycrylic... The same techniques can be applied to body tubes and fins.

One important tip if you want to use silkspan/poly on balsa. Seal it first with MinWax Sanding Sealer. Apply the sealer with a disposable foam brush and then quickly give it a light wipe with a paper towel. The wood will absorb just enough to seal the grain (but not fill it) and prevent the Polycrylic from soaking in. Do both sides of a fin at the same time if possible. Once the sealer dries, light sand with 320 grit and you are good to go for the Silkspan/Poly covering. Very little filler/primer will be need after that.

Regards,

FlyBack

I wonder if you can get fiberglass pantyhose...

Although the nylon hose idea might work as a veil on top of an already structurally sound, but fugly layup.

Back