Quantum power issue

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Troy3003

Reaction score
Built my 5th quantum, this time I decided not to bridge the B+/DB+ connections since I wanted to try and run a switch on that circuit rather than the battery itself.
Initially it worked like it is supposed to, I was using a screw switch to turn it on and off. Now when I plug in the battery it still powers up with the switch disengaged. I thought, well the connector may be touching so I cut the connection apart, still powered up. Next I removed the complete connector pigtail from the board, still powered up. I do not see any issues with the soldering, is there a rectifier issue causing this?20210820_214107.jpg20210820_214152.jpg

The switch between B+ and DB+ only controls the DEPLOYMENT power, it does not control the power to the Quantum itself. You do not need a switch on the Quantum... you just leave it on, and if you want to completely disconnect power for the deployments (which we recommend doing for airstarts) you switch just the B+/DB+ pads. If you want to switch off BOTH the Quantum's processor AND the deployment power, jumper B+/DB+, and put your screw switch between the battery and the Quantum's battery inputs.

Ok I confused deployment power switching with main power switching when I read it. My fault, nothing to see here..

No problem, people that are used to "other" altimeters often get confused by this. The Quantum (and Proton) work differently than most other altimeters... the don't auto-arm for flight when you power them up (unless you set an option to do that). Normally, you leave the power on so you can remotely check your battery, check your continuity, and change your deployment settings before flight (for example, if the wind kicks up you can easily reduce the main chute deployment altitude). When you're ready, you arm it for flight remotely. If you burn an igniter, you can remotely disarm it, too. There's an integral WiFi-Switch on the deployment power, which doesn't get turned on until you arm it, AND launch is detected; the deployment power is essentially "dead" when the rocket is on the ground. These are all things that most other altimeters cannot do.

Back