Quantum based hotwire chute release

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here's how I decided to do it, with pics and part #,s. If you based it off of an Eggtimer Quark you could be into it for under $30 easy peasy..

20170722_062740.jpg

Zip tie mounting bases and brass hardware from Lowes. Drill and tap opposing corners for 6-32 hardware. Attach twisted pair of 24 gauge wires canibalized from junk cat5 cable on back side of base. Run 36 gauge nichrome through two of the rectangular hole on the top, it'll naturally pull taught when you tighten the nuts if you wrap it correctly. Elastic bracelet beading stuff from Hobby Lobby, fish it through the other two rectangular holes making sure it lays on top of the nichrome. Then pull tight around your chute bundle and tie. Doesn't take much since the elastic self tightens. Btw, the elastic thread is the key since it naturally wants to spring loose.

20170722_062806.jpg

Last edited:
The nichrome is usually re useable but it's easy enough to prefab a bunch at home and bring 'em to the field.

20170722_071908.jpg

Beauty of it lies in the fact that there is no attempting to solder nichrome. With the "studs" at a fixed distance you get consistent lenght, therefore consistent resistance. ..

20170722_074049.jpg

Last edited:
I have the Quantum set to fire for 2 seconds. One would probably be plenty but since a quark fires for 2 I figured it would translate.

20170722_072201.jpg

That's a nice hookup for the nichrome. I've found that to be that hardest part.

When I built mine, Cris steered me away from heavier tether material. I have simple monofilament across a rubber band. The band end up doubled around the chute/Quark bundle.

That's a nice hookup for the nichrome. I've found that to be that hardest part.

When I built mine, Cris steered me away from heavier tether material. I have simple monofilament across a rubber band. The band end up doubled around the chute/Quark bundle.
I've been experimenting with different materials for a while now, this seems to work better than anything else I've tried. In the process I discovered that an ignitor will actually cut a rubber band. The downside is it also tends to start it on fire:(

Back