QCRS January 4th Holiday Extravaganza!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CzTeacherMan

Reaction score
QCRS is happy to announce that our next launch is on Saturday, January 4th.

But wait, there's more!
In addition to the usual 9am to 3pm-ish launch we'll adjourn to El Zarape in Mendota for an after-Christmas party. Bring your family and friends as we celebrate our diverse group of rocketing friends (and after weeks of family, who wouldn't welcome a chance to relax with rocket buddies?!).

BUT WAIT! THERE'S MORE!
We'll have two (count 'em, TWO) holiday contests...FIRST - The ever-popular Ugly Christmas Sweater contest. Dig through your drawers, your attic, your basement, your laundry... Find that UGLY, horrid, laughable Christmas sweater and show it off with pride as we all mock one another for our horrible taste in clothing.SECOND - We're taking this a step further and hosting an UGLY ROCKET CONTEST. Dig through your pile of rockets, find the ugliest, nastiest, beat-up-iest rocket and put it on display for us all to admire and bask in its ugliness. Some quick caveats - a) it must be actually flyable, safely flyable, and b) it must have a 29mm motor mount or larger. I know that you all have some rockets that qualify... I've seen them on the racks... Be proud of that monstrosity and let's celebrate it together.

Rain, snow, sleet, or hail, let's get together and celebrate our shared interest. If Uncle Bob looks at you sideways over Christmas dinner when you start talking about how your last EX CATO'd or your L2 attempt pulled up a soil sample, just remember that no one here will look at you sideways. We're all already sideways with you! Bring your family, bring your friends, and let's enjoy some QCRS fun.
See you there!

I'll have to give this one a miss- I'll be out of town for work. Hopefully I can make Feb!

I have a rocket that will qualify, but the only ugly sweater I have is the one I wear all the time under my shirt... :barf::barf::p:p

I had to bow out of attending MWP this year at the last minute. So, I'll just have to make up that missed adventure by being present on the 4th.

What time do you think the cloud base will rise tomorrow? I want to come down, but have stuff that needs some clear blue to several K'. Pondering and hoping for the best!:)o_O

And we've officially determined that the speed of Stealth is H550
That was awesome to see!

Had a good time yesterday. Almost turned into a human popsicle. Great food and jokes at the Mexican restaurant afterwards. Thx to everyone at QCRS. Can't wait until next years festivities, and I will have a much uglier rocket for next year's competition.

Adrian - I just shattered the Stealth as payback for your leg. You're welcome. The world is now back in balance.

Scientifically, the max speed of a 38mm Stealth is somewhere between an H283 and an H550. More research is necessary.

Great times this weekend - thanks to QCRS for putting it on!

Sorry I didn't make it to the after-launch festivities. I learned that it's probably not a great idea to fly your biggest motor in your smallest rocket as the last launch of the day :eek:

Does anyone know what happened to they guy who flew the unpainted rocket on the L motor? Did his GPS tracker kick in eventually?

I forgot who I was talking to about the Featherweight GPS tracker, but here are the Google Earth plots from the 2 launches of the Sandhawk. It's pretty clear that my chute released let go early on the red flight (the H128) which explains that loooong walk. Fortunately I put a smaller chute in that time or I'd probably still be trekking across the fields! If I had known I probably would have driven over to the 2300 side of the field and recovered from that direction.

Good times!! Thanks QCRS!!

Sandhawk_G64_H128_QCRS-2.jpg

As far as I know, he never found his rocket (on the L850).
As far as recovery, regular flyers at QCRS usually learn to spend more time in the car triangulating and less some walking, LoL! We all did it at some point, though.
It was a great, fun experience, even if the weather didn't cooperate fully.

Back