EVENT QCRS - December 19th 2020

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rfjustin

Reaction score
QCRS - December 19th 2020, Princeton, IL (Midwest Power site).

Anyone going and what are you flying?

Now I remember what I was gonna do. Start this thread... :oops::oops:
I have my WM 5" Goblin prepped with a AT K456DM. Might reach 3000'. I also have a H148R built, but I don't remember which rocket I set the delay for... :rolleyes:

I have one to fly.... was going to drive down with Preston, but the weather is not looking good thus far...

I have one to fly.... was going to drive down with Preston, but the weather is not looking good thus far...
10-15% chance of rain and 6-7 MPH winds. If you are seeing worse, Hit the Refresh button on your browser Justin ;) I'll be there.

10-15% chance of rain and 6-7 MPH winds. If you are seeing worse, Hit the Refresh button on your browser Justin ;) I'll be there.

95% cloud cover and precipitation in the AM typically (not always) means a low ceiling. Not digging the idea of 6 hours in the car for a low ceiling. Not saying it wont be flyable at all, but low ceilings can be a buzzkill.

sfgnsfgnfn.JPG

Oops, I saw "Chicago Rocket Mafia" and thought you were in the Chicago metro area. As much as I like to joke about the Chicago metro area including Milwaukee ;) I see your point. About 85 minutes for me.

Well, you guys missed a good half day of launching... Skies from 9am to noon were partially cloudy with an emphasis on partially. A little after 10AM the skies changed to mostly clear. Clear enough that a young man got his L3 on a 6" Ultimate Wildman kit with a M3100 to 7000ish ft that we saw the whole way up and down. Congrats Zack! I even flew a rocket! It mostly went OK. The up part was great. For those of you keeping score, a AT K456DM will lift 13lbs of Wildman fiberglass with no problems. Flight was great. Text book even. Booster falling below the nosecone housing the main the whole way down until main deployment altitude. This is where the train came off the rails just a wee bit. I prepped this rocket over a year ago for flight at AirFest. Then got the Covid and didn't make it there. Them I reprepped it for MWP and changed the motor to said K456DM. It seems at some point I changed my mind about chutes, and put in a Sky Angle main. Very carefully burrito wrapped. But apparently I never connected it to the quick link... :mad::mad::eek: SO, main charges go off and out comes the main and just stays a little bunched up and floats off on it's own... :rolleyes::mad: The rocket comes down on the 24" drogue and sticks the landing (Goblin fins can really penetrate the ground). No damage done to the rocket. And chute didn't drift too far away to be recovered. My pride... Well... :dontknow:

Around noon a haze rolled in and we had to shut down the range. The ceiling went from 8000' to 500' real fast.

Last edited:
Well, you guys missed a good half day of launching... Skies from 9am to noon were partially cloudy with an emphasis on partially. A little after 10AM the skies changed to mostly clear. Clear enough that a young man got his L3 on a 6" Ultimate Wildman kit with a M3100 to 7000ish ft that we saw the whole way up and down. Congrats Zack! I even flew a rocket! It mostly went OK. The up part was great. For those of you keeping score, a AT K456DM will lift 13lbs of Wildman fiberglass with no problems. Flight was great. Text book even. Booster falling below the nosecone housing the main the whole way down until main deployment altitude. This is where the train came off the rails just a wee bit. I prepped this rocket over a year ago for flight at AirFest. Then got the Covid and didn't make it there. Them I reprepped it for MWP and changed the motor to said K456DM. It seems at some point I changed my mind about chutes, and put in a Sky Angle main. Very carefully burrito wrapped. But apparently I never connected it to the quick link... :mad::mad::eek: SO, main charges go off and out comes the main and just stays a little bunched up and floats off on it's own... :rolleyes::mad: The rocket comes down on the 24" drogue and sticks the landing (Goblin fins can really penetrate the ground). No damage done to the rocket. And chute didn't drift too far away to be recovered. My pride... Well... :dontknow:

Around noon a haze rolled in and we had to shut down the range. The ceiling went from 8000' to 500' real fast.
Well,
Any landing your phantom astronauts can walk away from...... đź‘Ť

Back