QCRS 2016 Season

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Depends on how long a tube is used.

I used well nuts on the inside of my airframe. I also try to keep these in the apogee recovery bay, so that there's no chance of a chute getting hung up, just the cord. I use Kevlar, so I should be OK. Screws should only be long enough to get the right grip you need... You can also tap your airframe, then put an acorn nut on the inside of the airframe..

Just a thought.

Mike

I've used 1/4" screws on a 4" diameter rocket with handmade plywood shrouds I made for the 720P 808 cameras I've used. I've had no trouble with deployments. I position the camera at the lower end of the upper bay of a DD rocket so sustainer ejection/deployment can be monitored. There might be a concern for hanging if you place the camera mid tube but I place it far aft so it's less likely to be a problem. On my first experiment, I put it on the booster but it was pretty boring until stupidhead forgot to attach the shockcord. Get to see the open quick link fly by the camera, shockcord trailing, with the camera looking skyward (rocket nosedown since it's a longneck). The 18 inch drogue finally came out of the nomex and the rocket flops down with a ground view of a rapidly approaching terra firma. Upper bay must have tumbled because the main deployed without a zipper or even a scratch, all the while coming in ballistic. No one saw the upper bay deployment process.

Sustainer hit and just had a little crinkle of the tube I've since repaired with a fiberglass wrap. Flies straight with two subsequent flights. Cameras really help diagnose deployment issues if they occur. Kurt Savegnago

but it was pretty boring until stupidhead forgot to attach the shockcord. Get to see the open quick link fly by the camera, shockcord trailing, with the camera looking skyward (rocket nosedown since it's a longneck). The 18 inch drogue finally came out of the nomex and the rocket flops down with a ground view of a rapidly approaching terra firma. Upper bay must have tumbled because the main deployed without a zipper or even a scratch, all the while coming in ballistic. No one saw the upper bay deployment process.

Please say you have a youtube video for this. I need it for my own entertainment/learning purposes :)

Please say you have a youtube video for this. I need it for my own entertainment/learning purposes :)

I'm no video maven but I just found out that the .avi format doesn't allow one to do simple cutting when using VLC. I have one 808 with the .mov format and one with the .avi format that I since converted back to .mov.
I have a linux commandline program I can re-convert to .mov and then cut the entertaining part out. If one cuts with VLC using .avi, it just saves sound and no video. using .mov it saves the segment in .avi with sound.

Took me awhile to figure this out. Have an even more entertaining video where the apogee charge blew the side out of a thin walled rocket. That's even kooler. Kurt

We may not have had a meet and greet at our field, but we got a video!! Thanks, Justin. Good stuff!!

Here's the one that blew the side out of this old cardboard rocket. Entertaining. That camera rode/fluttered down on the zippered tube that "shredded" free from the main chute bay. The stop action stills are even cooler. The apogee cord broke when the main charge blew. https://youtu.be/hMvT9BKzbUg Kurt

Found the video. Turned out it was in the .MOV format so I was able to do an idiot edit and get it up.
It's what happens when one is rushed and forgets to connect the sustainer shockcord so the apogee is quite interesting. God bless that 18 inch drogue as it did the best it could! Flopped it around so the butt end (that I used too much epoxy on anyways) hit first. This is a thin walled cardboard LOC tubed rocket (no fiberglass/epoxy) so it sustained a little "crinkle" in the sustainer that has since been fixed with a 2oz. fiberglass wrap and she flew at MWP 13 for the first time nominally in something like 8 years. Has had every mishap one could have. Look at 42:15 - 42:18 of the large orange Rocketman chute that is lowering the upper bay "extremely" gently to the ground sans the sustainer hanging off the aft end if it had been a nominal flight.

https://youtu.be/3JRnwRA6Wx0

Please, don't do this if you can avoid it. Kurt Savegnago

Please, don't do this if you can avoid it. Kurt Savegnago

You say this, but you got the video back- that's all that matters right?

Great video- and glad it all came back to ya.

Quick question- this is the Tripoli Peoria site, right?

You say this, but you got the video back- that's all that matters right?

Great video- and glad it all came back to ya.

Quick question- this is the Tripoli Peoria site, right?

Yup,

PARS Peoria outside of Metamora. https://aprs.fi/#!mt=hybrid&z=19&call=a/PARS&timerange=3600&tail=3600 The "blowout" video just above Purple Haze of the Orange rocket is fun too. Believe it or not the fincan is salvageable on that one and I have the coupler in place for the sustainer
rebuild. I didn't realize what happened until that video was processed. 1. Apogee hang. 2. Death dive until the main deployed. 3. Wrenched the upper bay off the sustainer. 4. Zippered the upper bay tube completely off the ebay. 5. Sustainer shockcord
broke when the main chute charge blew and wrenched everything free. 6. Camera free fell (fluttered) down on the stripped cardboard tube. 7. While the "leetle" ebay had the softest landing of its life suspended under a 6 foot parachute.

All's I saw was the main that was deployed but I couldn't see anything hanging from it when it was "up there". I woulda thought the chute would be fluttering down. Got lower and we saw the ebay underneath.

If I didn't have the video, I would have simply thought the apogee shockcord broke and that was it.

If it wasn't so hard to upload all the stills I extracted from the sequence I'd put them up here because the story is well told frame by frame. The shockwave out the side of the rocket when it blew is neat in the stop action shot. Blew out in front of the camera. Kurt Savegnago

Just want to double check, the May launch dates are the 21 and 22? Usually we launch the weekend of Memorial Day.

Just want to double check, the May launch dates are the 21 and 22? Usually we launch the weekend of Memorial Day.

The webpage is correct. The board decided to have the launch on the weekend before the holiday.

Awesome! I'm stuck working the holiday weekend this year and thought for sure I was going to have to miss the launch.

Gizmo XL-DD-V is in the works... Maybe L3 attempt at Mini-MWP?
L640 is ready to go, do is K1200...
Next QCRS launch will be fun once I figure out what, exactly I'm going to fly.

Next QCRS Launch, this Saturday... Range opens at 9:00am. I think. Depends on when y'all get there and help set it up! LOL...
I'll be there ... Maybe with a rocket or two prepped? Let's see what i can get done this week...
Anyone else planning on being out? What're you bringing?

Next QCRS Launch, this Saturday... Range opens at 9:00am. I think. Depends on when y'all get there and help set it up! LOL...
I'll be there ... Maybe with a rocket or two prepped? Let's see what i can get done this week...

Please take djs with you! He sure could use some good fun!

forecast looks kind of poopy.. i might make it though if it clears up. I'm 4000 miles away from my rockets, so I don't know if I'll have time to prep anything.

Hi everyone. I am new on here, but intend to join QCRS soon. I can't make the Jan launch, but intend to be there for Feb. Only on MPR so far but getting my first true HPR started this week to get my L1. Looking forward to meeting all of you.

Hi everyone. I am new on here, but intend to join QCRS soon. I can't make the Jan launch, but intend to be there for Feb. Only on MPR so far but getting my first true HPR started this week to get my L1. Looking forward to meeting all of you.

Awesome! See you on February.

forecast looks kind of poopy.. i might make it though if it clears up. I'm 4000 miles away from my rockets, so I don't know if I'll have time to prep anything.

20' and partly cloudy.....not shabby for February actually. Leave your Tahn Tahn at home and come fly rockets!!!

I'm would love to come but 20 mph winds , ehh. 3 rockets prepped and would hate to lose them. Would really like to meet the QCRS gang... Talk me into it!

Last edited:
I'm would love to come but 20 mph winds , ehh. 3 rockets prepped and would hate to lose them. Would really like to meet the QCRS gang... Talk me into it!

Heres talking you into it....

No way you can predict Saturday's winds on Tuesday. Even if it is 19mph....we still fly, still recover and still have a great time.

see you there!

Please come out when you can. Lots of people at QCRS fly only MPR.

Where are you located?

Please come out when you can. Lots of people at QCRS fly only MPR.

Where are you located?

Absolutely intend to. I live SW of Chicago in Burr Ridge. It is a bit of a hike, but happy to do it. Cant in Jan because of kid stuff going on, but already have Feb on my calendar.

Back