QCC Explorer

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beantownJPL

Up up and away... Wait! Come back!
Reaction score
I've got an Estes QCC Explorer on the bench right now. This build is scratching my balsa airplane building itch with the built up balsa faux intakes.

The faux intakes are a little more complex than your typical 4FNC build, but the laser cutting is very clean, and it all locks in together. So long as you manage to not glue yourself you the parts (too many times), they go together very easily.

The assembled intake pods with the fins is a very strong structure. That coupled with the clipped delta fin shape should make for a very robust airframe. I'll attach them with 30 minute epoxy (what I got ... Would use 5 min), and they should survive many rough landings.

After assembly, I skim coated then in glazing putty (automotive stuff), and then sanded to shape. Really liking how the glazing putty fills the grain.

IMG_20191117_215728.jpegIMG_20191117_235759.jpegIMG_20191117_235853.jpeg

Love that Rocket, it's one of my favorites (pic below)! Great lines, doesn't go out of sight, can take punchier motors, etc..

You should look up Nick@Jet's Ultimate QCC Level 3 build!

img_8386-jpg.327782

I've been a little busy, but got some bench time this evening.

Filling, shaping and sanding is completed for the pods, and first coat of primer applied. I think it's a lot easier to do the shaping and sanding before attaching the pods. There's a lot of angles there!

I used automotive glazing putty to seal the grain, level the surface and build fillets. I think it looks pretty nice. The glazing putty is very nice to work with a gloved finger.

IMG_20191127_235855.jpegIMG_20191127_235950.jpegIMG_20191128_001541.jpegIMG_20191128_001607_Bokeh.jpegIMG_20191128_001616_Bokeh.jpeg

Last edited:
Thanks for posting your build on this, and for the suggestion on use glazing compound for sealing the grain. I use glazing compound after sealing with CWF and priming , but I hadn't thought to use it as the grain sealer.I have one in the build pile for starting on this winter (go kinda slow on builds since I'm running out of room to display the rockets, and my wife won't let me put them in the living room. And after 41 years of marrage, you learn to choose your battles.)

Your filling work looks awesome! Super smooth finish.

20181007_141654.jpg 20181007_141856.jpg Also one of my favorites. I always bring that one and my SLV when I go out to launch. They're two that I just really enjoy a lot.

When I saw that L3 QCC I was just blown away. So awesome.

Last edited:
This is one of the many on my build pile. I'll be following this one.

beantownJPL, I'm trying to figure out if we've met at a CMASS launch. I can't tell from your avatar if I recognize you or not. But I checked out your blog and I'm pretty sure I recognize the LCO's voice on your launch videos.

I'm in Newton, how about you?

Hey Boston, any special techniques to filling and primering the inside of the intakes? Brush and emery stick?

Very thin application of glazing putty, and I've got some little needle-like sanding sticks that have done the job nicely.

This is one of the many on my build pile. I'll be following this one.

beantownJPL, I'm trying to figure out if we've met at a CMASS launch. I can't tell from your avatar if I recognize you or not. But I checked out your blog and I'm pretty sure I recognize the LCO's voice on your launch videos.

I'm in Newton, how about you?

Quite likely! My son and I joined CMASS this summer, and have been to almost every launch since July. If you haven't met me, you've almost certainly met my 10 y.o. boy, as he goes from table to table like a honeybee chatting up every rocketeer who'll give him an ear. We have a lot of fun with the CMASS folks!

I also live in Newton ... Auburndale.

Quite likely! My son and I joined CMASS this summer, and have been to almost every launch since July. If you haven't met me, you've almost certainly met my 10 y.o. boy, as he goes from table to table like a honeybee chatting up every rocketeer who'll give him an ear. We have a lot of fun with the CMASS folks!

I also live in Newton ... Auburndale.

Well, that sounds familiar! I'll bet I have met him.

Tomorrow night's meeting at the Hatch Makerspace in Watertown is our Cookie Meeting, where we... share cookies. And talk rocketry. I hope to be there. Perhaps we'll see each other there, if you are able to make it.

Made some more progress tonight.

I scuffed the body tube, and attached the intake pods with 30-minute epoxy.

After the pods were attached, I did some more sanding and shaping in the intake openings.

Then I slathered in some more glazing putty.

I'll sand it mostly back to surface once it dries.IMG_20191203_220747.jpegIMG_20191203_221014.jpegIMG_20191203_221509.jpegIMG_20191203_222632.jpegIMG_20191203_224457.jpegIMG_20191203_225613.jpeg

Back