Quantcast

QCC Explorer with composite reloads - how did you do your motor mount?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

Nick@JET

Reaction score
Anyone build a QCC explorer to fly on 24/40 reload and change the motor mount? One of my favorite motors is the E9, however I am not real confident. Although I haven't CATOed an E9 in a QCC I have 2 E9 and a D12 CATO in other rockets. So while im building another QCC im, thinkink about building zipper less, with a thicker kevlar shock cord and possibly fiberglassing the fins - which will make it alittle heavier.

What did you use for motor retention?
did you build without the motor thrust block inside?

building another QCC, but thinking about flying on 24/40 reloads, leaving off the motor hook, however I still want the option of flying on E9 if they ever get the CATO's figured out.

thanks

Charles_McG

Ciderwright
Reaction score
I regret not following Wildman's Second Law (No Engine Blocks!) on my QCC. I'm prepping to cut the motor block out.

On recent builds, I've taken to bending the top of the motor hook backwards and putting a centering ring under it. Like this...

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1469673537.708812.jpg

A few wraps of masking tape cut to 1/8" works fine as a thrust ring for an E9/12.

My elder boy wants to load the QCC up with a CTI 24mm 6G.

Rex R

LV2
Reaction score
a 24/40 in an 'E' mount has to be one of the easiest things to do. take the orange spacer from Estes and slide it over the forward end of the case, slide motor and spacer into the mount, tape or otherwise secure the motor hook, launch (and hopefully recover) the rocket. easy peasy. I would suggest starting out with an E18 as that will give you a better chance of tracking the rocket.
Rex

Nick@JET

Reaction score
Thanks Rex & Charles. Was getting ready to install motor mount before I posted, I did leave the motor block out and I'll modify the hook.

Charles_McG

Ciderwright
Reaction score
Rex is quite right in noting that it will be easier to loose a QCC boosted with ridiculous amounts of impulse and/or thrust. We have an eggfinder, making it -slightly- easier. Give or take trees. I believe the AT 24/40 and 24/60 cases were made to fit in the D/E engine spaces. That's E and F territory. It's just if you want to stick a G in it that things become troublesome. Or if you want to use the CTI Pro24 3G or 6G cases - it looks like the 1G case should work stock.

My Boyo wants to upscale the QCC. I've been working on a downscale with cardstock intakes. I have this box of 13mm B motors that are just begging for more downscales to fly in.

Nick@JET

Reaction score
Thanks will stay in the E range unless I add a tracker

I built a 4" upscale (MAC Performance Vought VTS-6) flew on a J and will fly soon on a K360

and will
Post my L3 6" upscale soon in high power section, almost all components are here - just waiting on fins and intakes but they are cut, can't wait!

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1469712963.483128.jpg