Q2G2 Igniters

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JAL3

Reaction score
I have been hearing some nice things about the new Quest Q2G2 igniters and it seems like they will be just the ticket for a few projects getting closer to completion.

I went to the Quest site and took a look. THings seem pretty straightforward but I do have a question. Is there some kind of plug to keep them in place until ignition? Are thye just taped into place? Do the motors really like them and refuse to let go?

What's the story?

BTW, I am familiar with the low current issues.

I went to the Quest site and took a look. THings seem pretty straightforward but I do have a question. Is there some kind of plug to keep them in place until ignition? Are thye just taped into place? Do the motors really like them and refuse to let go?

Each igniter is protected with a small plastic straw. After you remove the igniter from the straw, and place the igniter in the motor, you then push the straw in beside the igniter to hold it in.

Works really well, at least with the new Chinese Quest motors, whose nozzles are very hard. Haven't tried them with Estes motors.

They work fine with Estes motors. I've done a couple of clusters using estes motors and the Q2G2 igniters and all motors lit.

Although I haven't tried any clusters with them yet, one of our club members used them on his 7 motor cluster at our last regional, and he said these are THE igniters to use for clustering (the wire leads are long enough to tie them together easily). He did not use the straws, however - just tape and wadding plugs.

Although you are aware of the current issue, JAL, for others who haven't heard yet, remember not to use them with any launch controller that uses a light bulb to check continuity - the continuity check is likely to light the igniter by itself. Controllers using piezo buzzers should work fine.

Thanks to everyone for their input. THat's what I was looking for.

It seems like an igniter made for clustering and I have a 7x and a 12x in the works right now.

THanks,

I wonder if they could be used instead of e-matches for deployment since e-matches are getting hard to find.

I used these on a 7 motor Hydra VII a few weeks ago, and they worked great. I was a bit concerned about the red straws as plugs, but the more I use them, the more I like them - they're easier to insert for a guy with early stages of hand arthritis (and I'm only 40 something!). I don't think I'll be using clip-whips as much as I used to. Also used a Q2G2 on an old D24 in my SpaceShipOne; instant ignition, and the best flight ever on that bird! It drifted far away to lands unknown, but the flight part was worth it. Now... what to do with all those estes igniters?

The more I use the new Q2G2 igniters, the more I like them.

I am amazed at how well the plastic straw works to retain the igniter. With the straw in place, I can usually tip a rocket upside down and lift it by the igniter leads.

The more I use the new Q2G2 igniters, the more I like them.

I am amazed at how well the plastic straw works to retain the igniter. With the straw in place, I can usually tip a rocket upside down and lift it by the igniter leads.

Yep. I flew them with my kids' Estes motors this weekend and it was great not having to worry about which color plastic plug goes with which motor size. The straw works for all of them.

I did a ground test with a couple of these dipped in Magnelite with the idea I might use it for a 2nd stage ignition sometime, and that seemed to work, also. Haven't flown it that way, yet.

I'm planning a two-stage using using a Perfect Flite timer (w/9 volt battery) and a Q2G2 igniter for the sustainer. Has anyone tried this, or know of any issues with that configuration? The sustainer motor will probably be a G-64 or G76. I can dip the igniter in pyrogen if needed.

I have never used these igniters, but plan to order some soon.

they're easier to insert for a guy with early stages of hand arthritis (and I'm only 40 something!).

My sympathies - that's when I started getting arthritis in my hands.It's getting to the point I have trouble writing and holding tools in my left hand. If I get to the point I can't hold tools with my right I don't know how I'll earn a living:(

My sympathies - that's when I started getting arthritis in my hands.It's getting to the point I have trouble writing and holding tools in my left hand. If I get to the point I can't hold tools with my right I don't know how I'll earn a living:(
Got a cortisone shot (youch!) a couple weeks ago, we'll see how long that gives relief for...

Back on topic - A fellow club member flew his 7x18mm clustered monocopter at NSL this weekend, ignited by Q2G2 igniters. Flawless ignition, and very cool flight.

I have very few problems with the cheap Estes igniters and most of the problems I do have with them are in clusters using a whip.

These Quest igniters seem like the solution to that problem. I'd like to lay in a large stock of them to keep handy for clustered flights and I have some extreme (for me) clusters getting close to the finish line. These include a 12x18mm, a 7x18mm and, a little further down the line, an 8x24mm.

What would be the recommended source for purchase of a large quantity? Must accept checks since I don't do Paypal.

Can purchase in 24 ct package directly from Quest I believe.

Can purchase in 24 ct package directly from Quest I believe.

24 count@$16.00. I have used these igniters in Estes A8-3,B6-4,6 C6-3,5 D12-3,5 And All Quest motors. I haven't tied them in A3 or A10's.I will be doing some cluster launches in the next week or so at BMR's launch .These igniters are the best I have used BAR None.

BAR
John

I may be asking for some secret industrial technology, but what is it about the new Quest igniter design that makes it work so much better (than that other brand)?

Is it a smaller bridge wire? (Does the Q2G2 even have a bridge wire?)
It probably has a different pyrogen formulation--would that be the key?

Does anyone have any ideas (that they can make a public release of info)?

I may be asking for some secret industrial technology, but what is it about the new Quest igniter design that makes it work so much better (than that other brand)?

Is it a smaller bridge wire? (Does the Q2G2 even have a bridge wire?)
It probably has a different pyrogen formulation--would that be the key?

Does anyone have any ideas (that they can make a public release of info)?

No bridge wire. Conductive pyrogen.

Long flexible and INSULATED lead wires.

ULTRA-LOW current for "ALL-FIRE".

Nice, hot-and-flamey pyrogen.

A fellow club member flew his 7x18mm clustered monocopter at NSL this weekend, ignited by Q2G2 igniters. Flawless ignition, and very cool flight.
Yes, very cool flight.

I talked to the owner for about half an hour while we waited for it to fly. Now I can't remember his name. Can you remind me?

No bridge wire. Conductive pyrogen.
Long flexible and INSULATED lead wires.
ULTRA-LOW current for "ALL-FIRE".
Nice, hot-and-flamey pyrogen.

Thanks Fred, but that tells me WHAT (which I already knew), not WHY

How do you design an igniter that has such low reqmts for electric power?

Yes, very cool flight.

I talked to the owner for about half an hour while we waited for it to fly. Now I can't remember his name. Can you remind me?
Dan (DANLK66 on trf). He was patiently waiting to borrow some igniters from me, so I could get a flight in before going back to parking duty :rolleyes:

Another positive experience with these igniters. I used them with my "That seven D's" rocket and the prep was quick and easy. I used a sharpie to mark one of the leads of each igniter, inserted them with the very easy to use straw and twisted the ends together (no fancy wiring or whips). Instant ignition and flight on all seven engines. Next flight I will add in some E's. :D
The only improvement I would like, is to have a version designed specifically for clusters that has longer and color coded leads.

Last edited:
I just used a couple Q2G2's in my new 2 stage rocket I built.They were fired by a perfectflight MT3G timer connected to a 9 volt battery with no problems at all.I'd like to try them in some 24/40 reloads to see if they will fire those as well I think if the leads are extended they might work I'll have to try to ground test one to see.It would be nice if they did then I wouldn't have to get ematches for 2 stage flights on this rocket.

There is a thread over on YORF where we have discussed the replacement lamps for the Estes controller to make them safe for the Q2G2.

Here are the lamps I bought and the results (as well as the link to the thread):

https://www.centsibleamusements.com/pinball-led-44-47.aspx

https://forums.rocketshoppe.com/showpost.php?p=72840&postcount=65

https://forums.rocketshoppe.com/showthread.php?t=4516&page=1&pp=10

And, naturally, I now find an even cheaper source with quantity discounts:
https://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=1174&parent=192

Yesterday was the last club launch of the year for the Fox Valley Rocketeers. This year I (and my sons Adam and Sam) flew exclusively Quest Q2G2 igniters. Together we flew 101 flights (including FVR and non FVR). We had 100 out of 101 igniter successes - the only failure was one igniter which fell out of the engine prior to pushing the button. Of these flights, 12 were cluster flights between 2 and 7 engines for a total of 40 engines. We had 40/40 successes on lighting clustered engines.

My only estes igniter experience this year was as a volunteer at an FVR "Pay it Forward" Scout-Launch event. I personally manned 2 pads where we had approximately 40 flights. During these 40 flights we had 6 igniter failures.

This is not a true apples-to-apples comparison since the Q2G2 successes were by experienced rocketeers and the estes failures were by scouts, many of whom had never flown before, but ...

Last fall I ran a scout-launch event where the scouts were all flying using Q2G2 igniters - those scouts had 32 of 32 igniter successes using the Q2G2.

Back