Q2G2 and Aerotech Composite Motors

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glasspack

Lifetime Supporter
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Got the opportunity to launch last weekend with my friend one last time...... (He is being taken from us by Pancreatic Cancer) GOD Bless You Joe !

Have a home built controller that uses a 12VDC 1200 AH battery and is capable of at least 20 amps for a moment at launch.

Have tested the controller and pad box thoroughly...... it works great. Powerful enough to light car head lights with igniter leads !!

Both times trying to ignite the Aerotech E20 each igniter burnt up and did not light the propellant, put in the Copperhead for round 3 and Voooom.

Has anyone ever had an igniter burn too fast due to too much power ?? It doesn't seem like it should do that....
but I have read many other posts that the Q2G2 WILL light a composite motor..... Maybe I just had two failures for no reason.
I know they have to be inserted fully and they have to touch the propellant. I always check that stuff.....

Thank you

Paul.

Last edited:
The only Aerotech composite motor I have heard of Q2G2's lighting is Blue Thunder propellant as its the easiest to light. E20's are a White propellant and tougher to light.

Last edited:
G2G2's do not have enough pyrogen to reliably light composite motors. If you dip them in a pyrogen mixture they can be used. Since the Q2G2's are currently out of production, I would recommend saving them for black power clusters.

Agree with Rich - Blue Thunder yes, others maybe not so much.

Also it IS possible to have too high a voltage and have the igniter burn so fast it can't do the job in a composite motor. This was the reason for the rash of misfires with the Estes Sonic igniters that were sold for use with the Estes-rebranded Aerotech SU motors in the past few years. They were designed to work on 6-9V (Estes E controller, PSII controller) and on a 12V system they just went "pop" with no go rather frequently.

I also agree with terryg that the first best use for Q2G2s is BP clustering (or BP drag racing :) ).

Agree with Rich - Blue Thunder yes, others maybe not so much.

Also it IS possible to have too high a voltage and have the igniter burn so fast it can't do the job in a composite motor. This was the reason for the rash of misfires with the Estes Sonic igniters that were sold for use with the Estes-rebranded Aerotech SU motors in the past few years. They were designed to work on 6-9V (Estes E controller, PSII controller) and on a 12V system they just went "pop" with no go rather frequently.

I also agree with terryg that the first best use for Q2G2s is BP clustering (or BP drag racing :) ).

I've heard about you and BP drag races....:)

Thank You all...... Maybe I will buy a bunch of First Fire JRs from Aero tech and try those for the Composite motors.

The last batch of Q2G2's that I got took more current and had less pyrogen then they used to. Once upon a time I used to recommend them for deployment triggers, but no more. If you can find somebody that can dip a Q2G2 in pyrogen for you it would probably work, but given their scarcity it's hardly worth the effort. The best igniters that I've found for the 29mm Aerotech motors are Quickburst Twiggy's... they light 100% of the time. https://www.quickburst.net/twiggy_igniter.htm

I like wildman...... Met him a couple times. He was kind enough to put out the fire on my 2nd LVL 1 launch.....

Thank you.... I will have check out his sight again.

Cool! I just ordered some Twiggy starters for the AT 29mm SU motors I ordered over the weekend. Thanks for that tip. :wink:

I have used the Quich Burst for years. The Twiggy size is great for almost everything through H motors. Fat Boys will light almost anything. Great stuff..

Also the AT First Fire Minis are good. They are what come in the newer D, E, and F motors.

I tried a Q2G2 in an E20 as well, no dice. I only heard of dipped ones working, but I can see Blue Thunder working as others have stated.

I have mixed results with the igniters that came with the, The longer lead ones are the best (red with thin pyrogen tip). Others are real short leads and resemble Q2G2s and rarely lit the motors.

I don't like copperheads, but they do fit in tiny nozzles and work if done right. They improved greatly since they come in a cardboard tube to protect them, as opposed to loose and bent maybe times in the bag like they were in the 90s.

Back