Q Modeling Wac Corporal

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

astronboy

Reaction score
I received the Q Modeling Wac Corporal for Christmas. I am in no way associated with Q Modeling, but was impressed enough with this kit to write this review.

There is a special place in my memories for the Wac Corporal and I still have my original early 1970's ESTES Wac, so I was excited to have a Mid Power version of this historically significant rocket.

Like the old ESTES kit, the Q Modeling kit is the sustainer portion of the prototype. Despite the beveled fins and conduit, the kit is a solid skill level two in regards to assembly. The model is based on the BT-60 and has a 24mm 'E' length engine mount which makes the kit over 28 inches tall. The nosecone is injection molded of a soft plastic, and the fins, TTW fin mount mount braces, and fuel transfer tunnel are all laser cut balsa. Topping it all off is a Top Flight Recovery 30" Octagon, Thin Mil, Ripstop Nylon Parachute with sewn in 24” Nylon shroud lines, and a Nomex Heat Shield. Included is a 5 piece laser cut jig that combines fin sanding unit, and a fuel transfer conduit shape pattern.

First off, I was pleased with the quality of the parts, many of which are produced 'in house' at Q Modeling. The nosecone is crisply molded, requiring only minor finish sanding, and the laser cut parts fit perfectly. The engine hook is good hefty 1/8" wide, and is of heavier gauge than those in most kits. It is also long enough to hold not only the motor, but also the engine block. (This is a pet peave of mine, and when I bend my own hooks, I make them this way, so I am very impressed.) The recovery system is everthy bit as you expect from Top Flight Recovery: very light and strong.

At my ripe old old age of 38, (cough, cough) I have learned to actually read the directions before starting a kit. (even if only to then ignore them!!). I am impressed by the 18(!) pages of historical info, general rocketry modeling tips, great illustrations, painting instructions (three pages alone), launch tips, NAR safety code, and even instructions to build a 24mm spacer to fly the rocket on a D engine. Oh yeah, they also tell you, in very detailed and descriptive terms, how to build the kit. The instructions are clear, and often point out common mistakes, so that you can avoid them. It is obvious that the gang at Q Modeling know their rockets. One thing I really like, is that each assembly section has a estimated time, so that you can actually plan when to build that particualr subsection.

On the first night, I assembled and installed the motor mount with integral TTW fin mounts. The structure is strong and suprisingly light. I was please to see the foil lined engine mount tube, as this kit is begging for AT power!!

The next night, I assembled, installed and sanded the fuel conduit and assembled the nosecone.

I am now in the process of fin sanding, and the included fin sanding jig prevents this from becoming a nightmare, although it does take some time.

So far, the kit has been an enjoyable build, and I just cannot wait to fly it!!

As an aside, I am someone who finds it almost impossible to leave a design alone, and I change engine mounts, recovery mounts, etc on almost every kit I build. I am pleased to say that the only change I will be making to this kit, is to add 1/4" elastic to the stock Kevlar-only shock chord. The kit contains 9' of heavy duty kevlar, but I just like having the extra 'spring' of some elastic.

I have included a pic of the model so far. I have fully sanded one fin, and plan on finishing the others tonight.

I recommend this kit, and cannot wait until the mid power Nike X is released!!

Kit specs:

Height: 28.0”

Weight: 5.8 oz (with recovery system)

Fin Span Diameter: 6.88”

Main Body Tube Diameter: 1.637”

Engines: D or E (Recommended D12-3, E9-4)

Average Altitudes: 500’ D12-3, 850’ E9-4

QModeling website:

https://www.qmodeling.com/Prod - Rockets.htm

Fred

Yes, that is an Estes E engine next to the rocket in order to give you an idea of scale. This kit is bigger than you think!!

Astronboy, I love the Wac Corporal! How does this kit stack up with the ASP kits, if you know.

beauty... one thing am i the only guy that sands fins for a rounded edge? i noticed those were pretty flat... dunno i kinda picked that up from a rocket teacher...

Rabidsheep: Yes, I normally I round, or even airfoil sport rocket fins. The WAC Corporal however is a scale model, and the fins on the prototype were not rounded, but beveled to a point. As I mentioned in my review, Q Modeling provides a neat jig tha helps the sanding go by easily, if not quickly. In my picture, only one fin has been sanded. I have now sanded the other two fins, and reinforced the corners by soaking them in thin CA. The rocket is on the heavy side for balsa fins. I have also glued on two fins at this point.

Carldoc: I have never assembled an ASP Wac Corp, although I do have one of their V2 kits. While the ASP kits are very 'standard' and straightforward in construction (I like them a LOT!), the Q modeling kit is a different breed altogether. The Q Modeling heavy plastic nosecone eliminates anyneed for nose weight, and the laser cut TTW fin mountings are very easy to assemble, and hold the fins perfectly. The little fins sanding and conduit fairing jig is totally unique as well.

That looks like a great kit. It's one of my old favorites too, and your review might just get me to buy one!

Very sweet kit indeed. It appears to have some of the most "desired" mods and Estes kit would undergo. (ie - nylon chute, Nomex) Should go nicely on a D or E! Be sure to follow up this thread and show some finished pics. Cool deal...even better as a Christmas present!

WAC Corporal was my first kit ever (estes)...I love the look of this one!

Back