Q Modeling WAC Corporal

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The QModeling model is based on the Estes version I believe with the beveled fins. The real WAC Corporal fins were not like that. Recently saw a Frank Malina documentary on the NASA channel…quite an interesting fellow. My ASP model with Tiny Tim booster is always fun!2BEFDE46-AA9A-46F6-B31D-55B62491C189.jpeg

Always like this
Always like this model…wish QModeling would come back!
model…wish QModeling would come back!View attachment 568891
Hey! I would appreciate from the experts out there, what's the best way to approximate a decent looking conduit for this model? I have one of the ASP flying kits, and it gives you a solid wood, square rod for the conduit, when the shape of the real thing is kinda complex- the real conduit is rounded on the sides, but flat on the area that touches the main tube, and then it comes to a gentle rounded boat tail at both ends, top and bottom...how do I get a decent looking, uniform shape like that out of a square wooden rod?

Anyone know of precut, reshaped wooden forms, like maybe for dollhouses or architectural models, that I could add to the ends of a balsa rod, to get those gentle curves on the conduit just right, even and uniform looking?

Or would an Evergreen Styrene rod cut and sanded to fit work to match the real conduit? Would that be easier (and look more uniform) than trying to whittle all those shapes from a square rod?

Many thanks!

Very nice build on tough build. Most of the old timers on the forum greatly miss that retailer.

Hey! I would appreciate from the experts out there, what's the best way to approximate a decent looking conduit for this model? I have one of the ASP flying kits, and it gives you a solid wood, square rod for the conduit, when the shape of the real thing is kinda complex- the real conduit is rounded on the sides, but flat on the area that touches the main tube, and then it comes to a gentle rounded boat tail at both ends, top and bottom...how do I get a decent looking, uniform shape like that out of a square wooden rod?

Anyone know of precut, reshaped wooden forms, like maybe for dollhouses or architectural models, that I could add to the ends of a balsa rod, to get those gentle curves on the conduit just right, even and uniform looking?

Or would an Evergreen Styrene rod cut and sanded to fit work to match the real conduit? Would that be easier (and look more uniform) than trying to whittle all those shapes from a square rod?

Many thanks!
Apogee sells balsa half-round, you'd need to compare the dimensions to what is required for the scale of the ASP kit you have (they offer the WAC in several sizes)

https://www.apogeerockets.com/Building_Supplies/Balsa/Half-round_Balsa_Stick_10in
When I built mine I seem to recall that I used some thin double-sided tape to adhere the balsa stock to a flat surface, and that way I could use a sanding bar running along the length of it to round it off. Then it was a matter of tapering the ends down, both in height and width. Wrap masking tape or similar perpendicular to the length of the conduit so that when you sand the taper the masking tape helps to define a clean edge/transition between that portion of the conduit that is constant height, and the tapered portion.

Thanks for your interest AUS and welcome to the forum. Good advice from other members of the forum. I myself tend to follow “sport scale” or the 10’ rule…but by all means use the advice of many excellent modelers on this forum!🙂

Back