Q-Modeling Mega NIKE-X

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

billeblurzz

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
My latest kits from Q-modeling are the WAC-CORPORAL and the NIKE-X. I am pleased with their first two kits I built, the MEGA SUPER VEGA and the MEGA MARS SNOOPER. I had planned on building the WAC first, but I misread the instructions and ruined the motor mount...so until I get some more parts, I finished the NIKE-X. I bought this kit at their discounted early buy and it was kit #3. At the discounted 59.95 price, I was somewhat disappointed in the supplied materials. Of course, the kit it is copied from is relatively simple, the even discounted price seems a little steep. I was further disappointed to find out that the decals that REALLY make the NIKE-X were NOT included! You are supposed to MASK and PAINT the markings...although the two wrap-around decals WERE included. The US ARMY decal was included. These decals are some of the STOUTEST I have ever used. I really had trouble getting the BIG wrap-around ones to release from the sheets. Then they would stick RIGHT -AWAY!! I can appreciate strong decals, so I guess a better technique on my part next will suffice. I ended up making the decals MYSELF out of TRIM MONO-COTE!!! TIME-CONSUMING but I am pleased with the result!

I like the kit...maybe it needs a full set of decals for the asking price...even stick on type out of something like MONO-COTE would have been better...there was NO way I was going to MASK and PAINT it!!!:mad: The fins are quality THICK laser-cut balsa and the tube is lightweight too! My finished weight without recovery device is about 15-15.5oz. I used epoxy throughout. This would be nice as a 3-motor cluster...but q-modeling has their own style(quite nice) motor mount system that I used. You get a quality chute and NOMEX pad with kit. I may be wrong, but it seems that 35.95 would be more in line pricewise with what you get???

Close-up of fin detail and decals I cut out of TRIM-MONOCOTE:...q-modeling never specifies fin shaping...I just put a rounded airfoil on the fins because at this thickness I thought a square foil would appear too "blocky".:rolleyes:

Boy is that sweet looking !

Really love the side by side comparison - what size motors are recommended ?

It is built for 24mm Estes Ds and Es....300-350' on Estes Es it says...I think Areotech E30s or F21s would be just right!!!:D :cool:

Uh-oh..silly question..An AT F21 will fit in a 24MM mount ?

Oh myyyyyy...please post a follow up pic when you launch, really interested in this design.

By chance, did you rocksim it for altitude on an F-21 ?

Originally posted by Silverleaf
Uh-oh..silly question..An AT F21 will fit in a 24MM mount ?

Oh myyyyyy...please post a follow up pic when you launch, really interested in this design.

By chance, did you rocksim it for altitude on an F-21 ?

FYI - The AT F21 is a 24mm motor. It has the same length as the Estes E9. That Nike - X is SWEET! It should rip on an F21. Nice work!

Today I also brought the MEGA NIKE-X out to my field. After my mishap with the ORION TRANSPORT, I wondered if I was on a bad luck streak!:rolleyes: I have always wondered what the limit at my small field would be....this NIKE-X seems to need at least an E-30, but all I have left are F21s.:( I thought these would be just right if I just had a larger field! There was no wind so I decided to go for it. I added a 3 oz. metal washer behind the nose and the swing test would point nose first at VERY little speed....about 11.5" forward of the primary fins. This brought the overall weight without motor to about 18 oz.

This field was used by the R/C plane folks....I launched rockets and actually belonged to their club. But I gave them priority and did not launch when there were planes in the air. They moved to the airport so I have been enjoying it all to myself! As I nervously prepared the NIKE-X for substantial more power out here, these people pull onto the field and put up this balloon for feeding their falcons!:( I know these people, my postman!. They would try to use this field, but the plane folks would run them off. Now they are back...we both can use this field....so I told them what I was going to do and I would wait for them because I knew the F21 was going to be LOUD!...so I would wait again! That BALLOON does look interesting for a target....eh!;)

This was going to be difficult...launching by myself and using an Estes COMMAND CONTROLLER for the 14.4 volts available, it takes two hands to arm and launch and a third hand to take the picture. I came up with a spring clamp to arm and one hand to launch, and one hand to try to take a steady picture. I am not used to the delay of AP motors coming up to pressure, so I missed the SUBSTANTIAL flame at liftoff on the F21-6::(

IT WAS AWESOME!!! I love my pad....but it is wobbly with this rocket...I was glad I added the nose weight so the rocket would be very stabile from this pad. I missed the flames completely with the camera....but you can imagine from this smoke trail!!!:eek:

I was glad the FALCONEERS were gone....and I may have been sitting a little too close to the pad!:rolleyes: The motor seemed just right for the rocket....it rose slowly and as straight up as you can go....and VERY LOUD!!!:D NO WIND at all...getting dark and recovery was only about 30' from the pad!!!

Originally posted by billEblurzz
NICE KIT.... I like it!!!:) :)

Whoa, absolutely beautiful/artistic shot! I'd say submit that to EMRR for their new calendar! I couldn't gather from your descriptions of the F21 flight, but had you used them before? It's too bad you couldn't capture is mid launch picture. I feel for ya man. You get an A for effort though. Thanks for posting. Great looking rocket btw.

EDIT: I reread this thread after looking over the QModeling website. I am absolutely thrilled with what appears to be super quality kits. The pricing is a little higher than expected and I agree with you - perhaps there is some sticker shock associated, BUT, (key word here), the rockets do look like they were produced for serious modelers by a serious vendor. I would also tend to think that the vendor has priced these comfortably to their liking - in other words, if the kits weren't priced as is the company probably wouldn't exist and not so much out of lack of profits, but out of avoiding the "labor of love" aspect of running a model rocket company. It's a tough call but BOY do those rockets look great!

Just wanted to share some photos taken of our first MRS-NIKEX prototype. Here it is on our launch pad ready to go with an E9-4 installed. You have to love how we weathered the pallet.

Here it is blasting into the great blue yonder under the power of a E9-4

Finally here it is returning back from its maiden E9-4 voyage. It was a great first flight

This was our first exposure to launching a bird using an Aerotech composite engine. Our lives were Estes. I love this picture. Here are three engineers standing around wonder how we are going to attach our launch control leads to a Aerotech igniter. It is the ultimate "What if" picture.

Left to right are me (Tom Quinn, President), Jim Quinn (Sr Designer), Mike Quinn our brother who was out with us this day. Mike and I are Irish Twins being only 14 months apart and we got into rocketry in the early 70's. We then of course passed the uplifting hobby to our younger brother Jim.

Our launch system is basically 50' of zip cord, a battery, and a good pair of teeth to strip the ends. We typically just carefully twist the zip cord leads onto the igniter leads. Clear the field, check the sky, hold one of the leads on the battery, yell out an all clear signal, perform a count down from five and hit the other lead on the other battery terminal. Not sophicated but after the launch the battery leads fall to the ground as we run over to where the rocket is landing.

The Aerotech igniter posed a challenge given it is two pieces of copper clad sandwiched together and separated by an insolator. Ultimately the solution was to stuff one lead into the nozzle contacting one side of the igniter and squeezing the other lead onto the other side under the supplied rubber band that is used to hold the igniter.

The results of our Goldberg Field Engineering. The F21 is one hell of a pop! Neighbors came out to see what was going on after the first F21 light off. It was a blast that day and extra special givern the Brothers Quinn were reunited.

I just fiished up My MRS-NikeX and am considering the Ellis F23 or G37 24mm SU

I looove to see them go bye bye...

BTW ~ anybody know what the MRS stands for:confused:

MRS - Stands for Mega Retro Series.

We are about producing high quality sports class upscale kits of classics from the past. It is our niche market. Our birds are designed for 24mm operation.

We have been asked about 29mm, but have decided to focus on 24mm upscale designs. We want to be known as the "Fun-Fly Guys", not the "High Performance Dudes". We want our customers to be able to go to a local hobby store, buy a collection of D & E motors, and have fun reliving their childhood.

We take personal pride in every kit we design and produce. All our kit components are produced in the USA and we go to great extremes to ensure they are of the highest quality.

We take even more pride in our customer service. We don't get everything right, but we do make everything right in the end. This is why we have policies like "No Fault Shipping Policy". If the USPS doesn't do their job we simply send out new parts for the ones they damaged.

We also believe you are born with one mouth and two ears for a reason. You should listen twice as much as you speak. Customer feedback is extremely important to us. Our kit quality is a direct reflection of not only our development teams, but more importantly feedback from customers. We like to say we believe in the Eastwoodian philosophy of learning about "The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly". In the end it is the only way we will survive.

Yes we are a small company, but by listening and focusing on our niche we believe we can be a great company for the rocketry community.

Tom Quinn
QModeling, President

We also believe you are born with one mouth and two ears for a reason. You should listen twice as much as you speak. Customer feedback is extremely important to us. Our kit quality is a direct reflection of not only our development teams, but more importantly feedback from customers. We like to say we believe in the Eastwoodian philosophy of learning about "The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly". In the end it is the only way we will survive.
:)

Hey Tom, welcome to the forum!!! I look forward to more of your releases!!!....(Interceptor...hint...hint...) Have you seen my MEGA-ROGUE?:)

Bob,

Thanks for pointing me to Bill's picture of the Rogue. Bill can I use this on our website? Is this the best picture you have? Sometimes on forums you compress a picture to fit the forums requirments. Let me know what you have. You can send it directly to me at [email protected]

Back