Q.c.r

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

womblegs

Reaction score
I am interested in having a go at a boost glider rocket. Having searched the forum OCR came up several times.
I've visited their site, but found it a little empty. Is there somewhere I can find pics of these?

Gareth

If you're looking for a regular glider, I recommend a Estes Trans Wing. It flies low and slow, but the plastic parts are not exactly top quality. I think Carl knows some stuff about RC gliders, might want to ask him.

This is my all time favorite.

https://www.dars.org/jimz/k-03.htm

I flew mine 3 times at NARAM all of the flights wer just...WONDERFUL!

First flight circled the parking area and glided to a landing in the driveway.

Second flight circle the R/C Rocket glider area...yes they asked me where the radio was.

Third flight went striaght and long... I mean really long!

A great flyer.

I will have a mini version included in my "Quad Kit" coming out in early December.

Actually this was my first "clone" but I didn't know it was called cloning. I couldn't afford to buy one in 1961 or 1962 so I kinda made it up from the picture in the catalog...Flew Great!!

No I don't know where it is. That was 40 years ago!

sandman

Originally posted by womblegs
I am interested in having a go at a boost glider rocket.

Hi Gareth,

I am not sure if you meant boost glider, rocket glider, or radio-controlled glider (rocket boosted).

If it is the first one, then there are TONS of great BG designs. Sandman's suggestion, the old Astron Spaceplane, is a classic. Another old Estes design that flies well is the Falcon, and if you like a little more fun and style, try the old Flying Jenny. I think all of these designs can be found on JimZ's website.

Also, the NAR website has some designs posted as examples of how to build for some of the competition categories.

Or maybe the Mediocre Fred... It's pretty susceptible to wind in the boost phase though.

Gareth:
I can't help with pic's of most of Ken Browns "QCR" (qulified competition Rockets), Boost or Rocket glider kits, but I will tell you most of them were designed by Robert Edmonds of Edmonds Aerospace. Robert usually doesn't sell his kits direct. I know Apogee and A.S.P. both carry his model kits If you're looking for a first boost glider I'd suggest the "Deltie" very quick very easy construction with no airfoils to sand. Great Competition and/or sport flying model. the Deltie is available in several sizes from 1/4A "13mm to his very impressive "Deltie Thunder" D powered BG
For more of a challange, requiring sanding Airfoils, I'd suggest the Ivee design. I've won several club and regional competitions with this gilder.

For Rocket Gliders, I'd suggest the EC canard series. easy build every Nice gliders.
Here's a composite pic of 4 gliders mentions above.
Hope this helps

Micromister: I have a few of the Edmnods kits but have not yet built them. So, do they fly well painted? Did you paint, tissue or monokote them? Do they need to be 'airfoiled'?

Originally posted by astronboy
Micromister: I have a few of the Edmnods kits but have not yet built them. So, do they fly well painted? Did you paint, tissue or monokote them? Do they need to be 'airfoiled'?

I'm not micromister (although I've played one on TV), but I recently built 3 Edmond's kits. Actually, my son built a Deltie and I built an Ecee and CiCi2 (2-stage dual-glider!). I contacted Rob Edmonds with the same questions you have. His answer was: do not airfoil...they are designed to fly without airfoils. Regarding finishing, he recommended flying with the bare wood first (I'm sure you could use marker to color it a bit), but that you *could* finish if you really want to. These are very lightweight gliders, so you would want to take care not to add any significant weight by finishing. These are very nice kits that go together very easily. Hoping to get first flights on these this weekend at a club launch.

I have a few of the Edmnods kits but have not yet built them. So, do they fly well painted? Did you paint, tissue or monokote them? Do they need to be 'airfoiled'

Astronboy:
I think you can tell from the photos these models are usually unpainted. I did do a very light dusting of fluorescent yellow and orange on the EC-18 as it climbs fairly high and I have thermaled one away:( If I decorate them at all its usually with Magic Markers.

The Ivee and EC-18 require airfoils, Most of Roberts other gliders Do not, as a matter of fact he will tell you if you do airfoil the deltie or IC-IC gliders they will not fly. I have tissued the wings on an Ivee several times but can tell you for sure it didn't make the model better. The Ivee is an excellent model for 1/4A -A boost glide entry. very capable of winning the event. the Deltie is an excellent qualifing model, while given the right conditions could also place in the winners circle. I like both so much I've even down scaled both for micro-maxx motors:) Actually i've gotten better single flight times on the MM-II (low 1/4A) motors than the competitors posted in 1/4A b/g last year at Naram after 2 Flights. If you want to build either of these micros the one page plans are in the comptition file of McCoys micro maxx plans, in the files section of the MicroMaxRockets yahoo group. Heres a pic of the micro deltie

Thanks for the info. I guess I will 'build'em naked', and try some magic markers.

Thanks for the info. I guess I will 'build'em naked', and try some magic markers.

I just picked up an Estes Dragonfly #0875 for right at 1/3 the value listed on the Pad 17 report (off eBay, using Buy it Now. Wonder if the guy knew he could ask for more? I would have paid more......)

Has anyone flown one of these?

Cheers guys, again you've given me some great ideas.
Looking at the Deltie, sounds fun.

Gareth

Fore check:
Estes Dragon fly was my 1st ever BG, second only to my first attempt at a Rocket glider Estes Hawk. The Dragonfly is a great little "Sport" glider. I build in a 50yard bank by warping up the left wing a little, very nice graceful flights. I think the one I'm still flying is from the late 80's:) I've had to patch her up here and there but that bank prevents the model from thermaling away. All the color on the model is magic markers, no paint. for a gilder this model is pretty heavy. build as light as you can to increase the glide times.
I also tissued the wings and tail feathers on this model. I think the first two suffered wing damage hitting trees, posts and my car a time or two back then:) a really fun flyer! Be sure to make templates of all the parts for future repair / replacements the tail gets dinged up a bit:)
Here's a pic of the Dragonfly

Teflon:
Flat Cat is also a Great sport flying BG, I've seen it place in many A & B division contests over the years.

Cool!

One question: sealing the balsa. It seems that this would add a bit of weight. Is it recommended? I typically "dry rub" with elmer's carpenters wood filler.

Originally posted by Fore Check
Cool!

One question: sealing the balsa. It seems that this would add a bit of weight. Is it recommended? I typically "dry rub" with elmer's carpenters wood filler.

Comes down to weight vs. aerodynamics (great for stating the obvious, eh?). When asked, Rob Edmonds suggested that his gliders be tried unfinished first, then seal the wood if you think you can do better. i.e., there's no definitive answer here.

More formally (ahem), the sink rate of a glider is as follows:

sink rate = sqrt(2*weight/density/wing-area)*Cd/Cl^(3/2)

What's this tell you? Sealing the wood is a good idea as long as it reduces the Cd at a faster rate than the square-root of the weight increases. For example, if the unfinished glider Cd = 0.3 and weight = 30 grams and finished Cd = 0.2 and weight = 60 grams, then you have marginally improved your performance even though you added weight. Of course, this assumes you were able to boost to the same altitude.

Fore Check:
BTC's and the international team have for many years used a 50/50 solution of Testors Clear /and thinner to "seal" bare balsa models. this adds a tiny amount of weight but not enough to effect preformance. I've used this method quite a bit, It isn't necessary but If you really feel you need to it is an OK practice.

I finished my Edmonds Tinee and 'decorated' it using black felt tip pens. I gave it a few test glides this morning and they were looong and smooth. The design is mostly for visibility in the air, as well as my email address when it flies away!! (don't they always?) Thanks for the tip guys!!

Here is the bottom: Note that one slip of the pen, and you are doomed!! No repaints!!

Back