Q About Raven & StratologgerCF Altimeters

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmmome

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Any reason you know of that these altimeters can't be positioned in the horizontal orientation? Would prefer to mount the sealed body tube containing these altimeters to the back of the avionics hatch in a horizontal position so that the sampling ports can be spaced out a little farther apart.

I plan on using the Raven for accelerometer deployment of main chutes at apogee, and the Stratologger for backup deploy at apogee plus one. Do you see any flaws in this strategy? Thanks!!!

Attachments

• IMG_5077.jpg
    IMG_5077.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_4894.jpg
    IMG_4894.jpg
    235 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_4895.jpg
    IMG_4895.jpg
    162.5 KB · Views: 13
Thank you- makes complete sense. I'll figure an alternate way to position the sealed body tube.

That would have been a heck of a 65 pound mistake hurdling down from 1,500 feet or so...........

If you recalibrate it off by 90 degrees I believe you can do it. although you will be limited to the second Accelerometer on the Y axis.

I made a mistake when calibrating mine (Raven 4). I went to arm it on the pad and it would only arm in the horizontal position.

The Raven has to be oriented with the long axis aligned up or down for the accelerometer to work. The SL can be oriented in any direction.

If you recalibrate it off by 90 degrees I believe you can do it.
I'd be pretty surprised if this would work correctly. At a minimum the sampling rates are different on the lateral accel channel. But I can't say for sure.

For the Raven to work properly using the accelerometer, it needs to be mounted vertical along the long axis (either end up). That axis is what the programming is based on so I don't think any attempts to re-calibrate it at a 90 degree offset would result in anything good...

If you used it for baro only deployment, then you still have the issue that it would not arm itself when laying horizontal (so it would not detect liftoff).

/kjs

I'd be pretty surprised if this would work correctly. At a minimum the sampling rates are different on the lateral accel channel. But I can't say for sure.
That's correct. The software knows whether it's watching the long axis or the short axis, and neither the calibration nor the flight launch detection would work if you try to swap them. A 180 degree rotation is fine, though, because the software will reverse its sign convention on the pad if it sees it's sitting with the "up" end pointed down.

Back