Python 4

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xxxREKxxx

Reaction score
So there I was in Wally Martin's (as my daughter calls it) buying oil, for work mind you. I'd even come in through the auto service door so I wouldn't be tempted to go through the toy aisle but oh, the departments were so close! I couldn't resist the siren call of the Launchables:eek:

My wife was going to out that night so I figured that I should get a quick build project for the evening. I grabbed a Phython 4 even though the picture didn't do a thing for me. Hey, it was 8 bucks, it was a rocket, I'm a guy, what can I say:rolleyes: !

Anyway this thing was a very pleasent surprise. It was not a quick slap together and fly till you lose it affair. It actually took a little skill to assemble and the finished bird looks pretty cool also (except for that lame round nose cone :p Whatup with that?:rolleyes: )

Here is a pic of it naked
Bob

Don't know why but I can't open your picture bmp file ???

Anyways, I've been thinking of adding the Python 4 to my list of "rockets to build" lol. I think it looks cool plus I just like scale or scale-like rocket kits !!!

Sorry Folks,
The problem is on this end. I tried something different but I'll go back to the steam powered method.

Stand by we are experiencing technical difficulties (Bob is thinking again, doesn't he know that that's dangerous?)

One more time, Shall We?
If this doesn't work just get an Estes cataloge, they're better at this graphics thing than me:D

Lookin' good !!! the jpg file opened right up for me !

YUP ... that kit is deffinatly on my wish list !

Hey REK ,

Now youve done that one Im going to get that next. You can tell me how you did the Python TTW mounts as mine were a nightmare on the Paveway. Thank god I had the reinforcers or I would have had floppy fins :(

Sadly I have to wait for the mail order guy to send my stuff , you just have to pop down to the shops. Hope you enjoy the Paveway too.

Paul

Originally posted by PWALPOCO
Hey REK ,

Now youve done that one Im going to get that next. You can tell me how you did the Python TTW mounts as mine were a nightmare on the Paveway. Thank god I had the reinforcers or I would have had floppy fins :(
Paul

Hey Paul,
Looky There, your 100th post:D
The TTW is on the tail cone and you have to cut off the raised part to expose the slot. Not too bad if you go slow and sand after. The slots are way over sized The TC goes in and then you glue the fins on the marking line and in the slot. You just have to make sure the hook is lined up with the lug line. I used gle filets and Elmers filler to close up the gaps at the TTW section. Might be overkill but not the way I fly:eek:
The strakes are installed on top of paper bolt patterns. I had a hard time getting the patterns to glue flat. Be carefull with the forward fins, they are fragile.
All in all it was a pretty good build and a unique looker too.

Sometimes it is a little too convenient having the shops right around the corner. My wife looked at the desk last night at the Python. an almost complete scratch built Nike-Apache and Hopi Dart and said "Dear, you getting obsessive!" Fortunately I wasn't dumb enough to respond with something like "And your point is?":rolleyes:
Bob

REK,

you are right about the price, $8.00 and some change, and you can get the Patriot, Python IV, BLU-97, or the Paveway bomb...and they still have the Bullpup, and Fatboy in the Plastic launchable collection boxes as well.

...and to fly them it only costs $4.97 for (3) flights...Wally World, has it going on sometimes.

Thanks REK ,

I wasnt sure about the slot size , sounds the same kinda deal I had with the Paveway slots. They were about 2.5x the required thickness. Have to have some method to fill the voids ..... thanks for the tip ......

Paul

PS , youll love the Paveway ...... its really really addictive.

Thought I'd add my finished Python to this thread.
Built stock, accept for the following:

Upper and lower BT's were glued at the coupler so, recovery seperation occurs at the NC.
A length of 1/4" elastic (twice the length of the rocket) is epoxied inside the upper BT, low enough so the NC shoulder will clear it.
The NC weight (clay) was not used as the recovery system is far enough forward in the airframe to stabilize it.
The white strip decals were omitted as they could hardly be seen on the white airframe. Same with the gray decal for the upper BT. I opted for a stripe of chrome (Bare-Metal Foil) instead.

looks great ! hows it fly ?
got a buddy (Vicious) that just made one
and set it up on a 24 mm motor . took it out yesterday .
shot it off at the high scool and it went real good .
right up in a tree across the street. LOL
luckly a kid cut a branch off and got it back .
still a good day to fly
broke everything but 2

the Python flys good on a D12 or was it a E
if Vicious made it , it most of been a E

It's set up for a D motor, we flew it with a D12-5 and it rocked. I think I should put a streamer on it though. I'm lucky to have gotten it back, I wrote it off for gone since it was way up in a tree in someone's back yard. This kid who lives there says "I'll get it!", when I saw how high up it was I just walked away. He came walking over to the school about 20 minutes later with my rocket in his hand! He had climbed up this tree and cut off a branch to get it, that rocket was at least 40' up in the tree. I thought it was pretty cool, way cooler than crashing my Phoenix...but then that's a whole 'nuther story.

Butch

Back