PVC structural stability

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

BlueNinja

Reaction score
At the launch today, I was thinking about where to put an antenna for my radio activities if I'm operating at a launch or something. An idea popped into my head: full size PVC. It would be a gigantic quadrapod, similar to my firework launcher/general purpose quadrapod (search TRF). Only difference would be an 8ft antanna on top, and for legs it would use full lengths of PVC(10ft) angled at 22.5deg, with horizontal supports resting on the ground between the legs, making a large flat square base to rest on.

Would this be stable? If not, would it be plausible to anchor it with tent stakes?

Blue

artu

Reaction score
Originally posted by Blue_Ninja_150
At the launch today, I was thinking about where to put an antenna for my radio activities if I'm operating at a launch or something. An idea popped into my head: full size PVC. It would be a gigantic quadrapod, similar to my firework launcher/general purpose quadrapod (search TRF). Only difference would be an 8ft antanna on top, and for legs it would use full lengths of PVC(10ft) angled at 22.5deg, with horizontal supports resting on the ground between the legs, making a large flat square base to rest on.

Would this be stable? If not, would it be plausible to anchor it with tent stakes?

Blue
what type of antenna are your putting on top ?
what type of radio activites ?

Many ham antennas are mounted on PVC tripods, metal tripods, or just tossed into trees, or put on poles with guy wires to hold them upright.

knowing what type of radio antenna you plan to use would help me give you some ideas.

Art - K8XG

BlueNinja

Reaction score
Ham radio

8' Comet CA-333 vertical antenna

I have done some more thinking, and this may take awhile to go into full swing... wanna buy (first) a secondhand radio, then possibly an Ecee, then some other stuff.... Maybe around Christmas, but I'm planning on spending some $$$ for a nice Kenwood allbander (T$-830$, uses 6146 tubes but does at least 10-160m)

Anyways, this would also be pretty heavy.

Thanks for helping.

Blue

ResearchWorm

Reaction score
Well, Depending on how much torque you plan on having that antennae supply to the base, I say you could get away with about 15 lbs of 2" or 3" PVC Sched 50 pipe. a couple of creative joints, and some sand bags to weigh everything down. I've seen "temporary" structures made of tarps and PVC that have with stood weather for a couple of years. PVC is actually pretty strong.. An 8' antennae would do just fine a 4' vertical piece of 3" with 4 4' legs of 3" weighed down with two sand bags each leg.

Harm none,

ResearchWorm

Originally posted by Blue_Ninja_150
Ham radio

8' Comet CA-333 vertical antenna

I have done some more thinking, and this may take awhile to go into full swing... wanna buy (first) a secondhand radio, then possibly an Ecee, then some other stuff.... Maybe around Christmas, but I'm planning on spending some $$$ for a nice Kenwood allbander (T$-830$, uses 6146 tubes but does at least 10-160m)

Anyways, this would also be pretty heavy.

Thanks for helping.

Blue