Pvc rocket horizontal holder

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steven88

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Hi guys, I am putting a pvc pipe holder together to hold my rockets horizontally at the field to keep them off the ground. You know what I’m talking about, you’ve all seen them. I notice a lot of guys put some sort of protector around the pvc part that touches the rocket to protect the rocket from scuffs/scratches. I never have gotten around to asking about it at the club. Can someone tell me what that protective wrap is and where to get it? Maybe it would be available at a sports store? Thanks

lol:), instead try pool supplies or plumbing for pool noodles or pipe insulation. one problem is that new paint takes a while to get hard...a month or two is not uncommon during which time paint will pickup textures and stick to your padding.
Rex

lol:), instead try pool supplies or plumbing for pool noodles or pipe insulation. one problem is that new paint takes a while to get hard...a month or two is not uncommon during which time paint will pickup textures and stick to your padding.
Rex
I have rockets leaning against the walls in my office. One was in the corner that had not been moved in 6 months and when I went to move it, the nose cone tip was stuck to the wall and pulled a paint chip off the wall the size of a fingernail. The humidity in the summer makes everything tacky even after things have been painted years ago. I have to occasionally move things around to reposition them to prevent a marriage between the two surfaces.

Are these stands study enough if made out of 3/4” pvc pipe or is 1” better? I have 4” diameter rockets coming in at 4 and five lbs

Are these stands study enough if made out of 3/4” pvc pipe or is 1” better? I have 4” diameter rockets coming in at 4 and five lbs

I use 3/4" for rockets that size and bigger. About 11 pounds max, with no problem. For smaller than three inch rockets I use 1/2" PVC and have had no problem with 2 to 3 pound rockets. I use pool noodles as padding on all of mine.

For model rockets I use spent motors fastened to 1x6 boards. a two foot 1x6 will hold eight rockets with 18mm or 24mm motor mounts.

I make my cradles from 1/2 " sch 40 PVC. Quite strong. My L3 rocket doesn't challenge it and it has a 60 lb. flight weight. PVC is surprisingly strong. It's a good idea to paint or otherwise cover PVC if it spends a lot of time outdoors. Sunlight will drastically weaken the plastic over time.

Jim

Size of the piping really depends on the CG of the rack. If you try to go too tall, you need really sturdy pipe. Build it short, and prop it on a table or something if you need it to be higher.

Back