Purpose? Exterior String on a Vintage Model Rocket

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Michael Mruzek

Reaction score
Hi, I am a new member returning to the hobby 50 years later. I recently purchased a lot of 1960's model rockets that I am sorting through. One of the models has an exterior string attached to the body tube. I've never seen this before. Can anyone advise the purpose? Photo attached. Thanks! Michael

Attachments

• string.jpg
    string.jpg
    107.8 KB · Views: 101
Welcome back to model rocketry! Great to have you join us.

That's the parachute recovery attachment string. Rather than glue it inside the body tube it's externally attached. That's still done today for certain types of rockets. Here's a video..

Please, if you would be so kind, share some photo's of the other rockets with us.

Last edited:
I do this for my small streamer birds, they have more drag from falling sideways and so they land much more softly.

Thank You for that information! Here are a few photos of the other rockets. This is a combination of 2 lots from EBAY. The lot built by NAR 5027 is the older of the two. As you can see in the photos, he built a nice range kit box for transporting some of them. The boost gliders were discussed in another thread... 2 of them are vintage "Design of the Month" winners. Michael

Attachments

• rocket_1.jpg
    rocket_1.jpg
    115.4 KB · Views: 124
  • rocket_2.jpg
    rocket_2.jpg
    128.7 KB · Views: 149
  • rocket_3.jpg
    rocket_3.jpg
    115.1 KB · Views: 119
I'm guessing that the rockets with the builders' NAR# on them are for competition. Glider duration, parachute duration, etc.

Latest posts

Back