Puppy Names

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Neil

Reaction score
Wayyyyy off the subject of rocketry, but it says it is allowd (anything that is not rockets or anything that is rockets and does nto fit cleanly elswhere). I am getting a Golden Retriever puppy this spring (the soon-to-be-mother dog is going to have her pups in jan, I think. Not sure though. Were looking at early april to late may. I have no idea), and I am trying to figure out a good name. I looked everywhere, but all the lists have dumb names like "julius ceaser" that the poor dog could never figure out. I am looking for a nice-sounding 1 or 2 syllyble (dont want to overwhelm the Golden with a really long name to learn) name. It will most likely be a female dog, for tempermant reasons. We want the mellowest dog possible. My cats have had some nasty run-ins with dogs in thier lifetime and do not deserve to be chased everywhere. The cats will have thier own floor that the dog is not allowed on just to be sure. (anybody got a good fence to go across stairs??). Sooooo.... what did you guys name your dogs (if you have one), and what would you name a dog if you had one (if you do not)?? My sister likes "shannon", and that is debatable, but really not THAT bad. What do you think??? I could also use some training tips. I want a VERY obidient dog. those dogs that I see everywhere around here running through nieghbors yards, biffing and pooping in gardens, digging gardens up on walks while the owners smoke and all that is enough to make me sick. I have a really good dog training book ("The ultimate Golden Retriever"), and that covers a lot, but I like a ton of opinions. Thanks. I gotta run. Dinners on the table. -Neil

Until she got really old (and grey), the name suited her. She was as sweet a dog as they come. My wife also had a weiner dog (Dax) when I married her, and we had a cat (Jack). The trio was inseparable. On cool days, Honey would find a sunny spot in the yard and lay down, and the other two would climb on top of her and lay down, and all three would sleep together. Boy, I miss those pets. They were much smarter than the retard dogs we have now.

Growing up my family had a Golden, what a great dog. His name was Sunshine, and we usually called him Sunny.

My wife finally talked me into a dog and we got a Cocker Spaniel and his name is Rusty, 8 months old. I'll include a picture of him at Halloween.

Originally posted by powderburner
Until she got really old (and grey), the name suited her. She was as sweet a dog as they come. My wife also had a weiner dog (Dax) when I married her, and we had a cat (Jack). The trio was inseparable. On cool days, Honey would find a sunny spot in the yard and lay down, and the other two would climb on top of her and lay down, and all three would sleep together. Boy, I miss those pets. They were much smarter than the retard dogs we have now.

Thats halarious

anyway, I had a dog when i was younger. She was half golden and half lab her name was Satin. She taught be all I know about hockey. the Dog I have now is name Pitzburg (yes, after the pittsburg stealers) she is half lab and have wippet. That dog can run

If you can get a mutt. They are better than purebreads for many reasons. For example; you really get two dogs in one, and they are less prone to developing diseases. All the dogs I know of that are purebreads have developed some kind of disability.

Our Golden, Ginger is snoring at my feet right now. She is a "rescue" dog that we got about 4 years ago when she was just over a year old. She is about the darkest and reddest golden I have seen. Almost Irish Setter color.

She brings me my shoes every morning when I leave and wants to take them from me when I come in the door!

AWWWWWWWWWW Good dog!!!! My dad loves the red ones. I like the light-tan ones like the on on the cover of "the ultimate golden retriever". My dad knows a breeder who has just that shade that I like, and thats what I am getting! Lucky me..... I gotta train it to do "blind retrieves" of rockets. That would be cool. just send your dog to retrieve long flights! Only fiberglass birds, though. Dog slobber would wreck paper. I just cant believe my luck. A month or two ago we had plans to move to Camden in 2 or 3 years, and then get a dog. But then this wonderfull house popped up out of nowhere (My mom actually had worked with the owner at a nursery school one time!!), and we put in an offer, and got it!!! Now I can get my dog 3 years earlier than I thought!!!! YAY!!!!! Now I just need a good name......

P.S. Ryan, despite the beinifets of mutts, I have had my heart set on a purebred Golden for as long as I can remember. I just like the way they look, like how fast they learn, and they are just, I dont know.... The right dog for me, in my oppinion. When you get a dog from the pound, you are relying on luck. One dog, Zues, came from the pound and he is one big sweetie. Then another dog, from our current street, is barky, escapes all the time (3 times in the past two months. Twice overnight), and her bark carries for a thousand miles! NOT what we want. she also likes to chase people. Very nasty. I like how with a golden, you get it as a puppy and you KNOW it is up to you for it to be good, not the last person who had it. Half the dogs in pounds are from really NASTY owners who abandond them. Despite how much they need a good home, I am much more inclined to get a nice puppy and really have the chance to KNOW what I am getting, and then shape it from there. with a mutt from the pound they are usually 2-9 years old an barely traind. Cant teach a dead dog new tricks, and if you ask me, it is pretty darn hard to teach an old one much of anything if it has been mistreated elswhere. You may disagree, but I LOVE purebred dogs. Mutts are nice, if traind well, but I would not really want one myself. I also want a dog I do not have to bend over to pat. I love big dogs. Not like one of those HUGE elkhounds that are bigger than I am, but just a nice, midium-large dog. Just my $0.02.

My next dog will be either another English Springer Spaniel or an English Cocker Spaniel (not to be confused with the American Cocker).

I will call him "Thor"...I just like the name. He will be field trained...for rocket searches! :)

Carl

Carl, you've been hanging around Dave and his dog too much...lol

Sounds cool though, Neil - Golden's are awesome. My personal favorite name for a Golden is Molson. Granted, I'm from Michigan, and those familiar with things from the Great White North might more readily understand that name, but Molson the Golden is perfect!

great idea Carl. Teach them to sniff out those rockets.

Neil, I wasnt saying a mutt from the pound all the onese I have gotten where puppies.

Goldens are nice dogs though

They have those?? I have never seriously looked at anything other than a Golden, a Yellow Lab, a Malamute, Husky, Sheltie, German Shepard or Sheep Dog. I dont really care for pit bulls, terriers, rats (er, I mean "chiwawas"), toy dogs (those little punt-dogs), or hounds. My sister is terrified of German Shepards (she learnd just a little too much about how Hitler and the Nazis used them in the 40s and 50s. She now has a very strong opinion that they are very nasty.), despite the many nice ones surrounding her, same goes for pit bulls (I dont like em either. Just plain ugly, and too many fatalities involving the breed in the past few decades). Also she does not like malamutes or huskys too much. She really does not like anything big. Funny thing is, not a single dog on the planet has ever hurt her. Meanwhile I, the dog person, have been bowled over repeatedly by a Lab when I was 5 or 6, got bitten on the face by another lab (I will never forget just seing that mouth grab over me like that. I was not seriously hurt, but I went screaming back to my house in tears. I was only 5 or 6 years old, mind you.), and that was it for a few years, then I was nearly bitten on the hand by a neighbors dog, then on the ankle by same, and yet I still LOVE dogs. You would think my sister would like dogs and I would hide under the covers at the thought, but no! other way around! One of lifes great mystiries. Anyway, a Golden is the only big breed my sister will allow (she has veto rights. Good thing the Golden was my first pick anyway!), because she has read nothing about a Hitler-Golden connection. Not that there is any. Quite to the contrary, they came from Scotland (She is OBBSESSED with scotland. Not to the point of eating those cooked lam intestines or whatever, but close. I guess I am not one to talk, being even more obbsessed with thrashing the sound barrier at every possible moment. I guess her liking scotland benifits me in a way! She likes Goldens now because they were bred there. Gooooo figure. Not complanin, though!)! Anyway, I have nothing against muts that come from mutt-breeders, but pound dogs are very risky if you ask me (and you may have made the mistake of doing just that!;) ). Anyway, I have my heart set on a golden, and I always have, so no point in discussing with me the possibility of a mutt. Makes a good conversation topic, though! Hoo dawgies! (no pun intended) BIIIIG rant!!! Oh well. Bye!

I have a Boxer/American Bulldog mix named Tera.
She has markings like a boxer (brown with black face and white chest), but is built like a bulldog, a bit thicker than boxers. She weighs about 90 lbs.
I named her Tera, because it sounds like Terror, but a bit softer. It fits perfect because she looks very intimidating but she wouldn't hurt anyone, unless she licked them to death. She mostly just lays on the sofa and sleeps. We have 3 small children that climb all over her and she loves it.
Sorry I don't have any pics on this computer, but I'll get one and post it soon.

slim

Cant say I generally care much for that breed, but there are always exeptions. There is a REALLY sweet, good temperd, well trained Rottweiler that I rather like, but I do not like the breed in general, and I would never want to own one in THIS lifetime. But that one sure is nice. VERY well traind. Search and rescue dog, actually. Just goes to show that every dog is different. Your dog sounds very nice. Do you have cats, also? Cant say my cats would appreciate a Boxer in the house! They would freak. OK. Dinners on the table. Gotta dash! Have a nice night! Ill keep ranting after dinner.;) :D :p

Funny you should ask. We just got a cat about 4 months ago. Our dog, Tera, is about 8 years old and we didn't know how she would react so we kept them seperated for about 2 weeks, then let them meet. It went well. They get along fine, and both live in the house. I also had a dog similar to this one when I was younger, and they are very much alike, very loving and gentle, but also protective of their territory and their family. To me, those are good traits for a house dog. Not exactly what you would want to take for a walk in the park though.

Here's a pic of Tera and my daughter relaxing.

I know she doesn't look that happy, but she's probably just trying to tell me the kid needs a new diaper. :)

slim

You had to ask this forum to suggest a name for a dog?

It should be obvious: Rocket!

That's what my brother named his Golden Retriever (the name was actually from the University of Toledo's football team mascot).

Bruce S. Levison, NAR #69055

Back