Pumpkin saw for balsa?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alan R

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I saw this in my local grocery the other day. AA powered tiny reciprocating saw. The first thing I thought was use it for cutting balsa.

I looked around a bit and really couldn't find anything like it. I'm thinking I'd pick it up on Nov 1, hopefully for half price.

I was wondering if anyone had any experience with this.
This: https://www.amazon.com/Pumpkin-Masters-Power-Saw/dp/B07Q8WN9NQ/

saw.jpg

I don't think I've ever seen a tiny jigsaw suitable for hobby work.
Harbor Freight has a 4" table saw, but that's not quite the same as a tiny reciprocating/jigsaw

Interesting tool. Give an update if you do get one.

Scroll saw is a very good tool for cutting balsa. So is a bench-top bandsaw. They'd both work on basswood and thinner plywood (1/4" or less) too but much more expensive than this tool.

I don't think it would be suitable for cutting any type of wood due to the low power. Get a table, jigsaw or bandsaw and one will be much happier. AA powered? For "punkins", sure o.k. but fine woodwork/fin cutting with various materials, no. Difficult to control a free hand saw for fine work. Kurt

The rough teeth of this item might either grab the balsa, and then not have enough torque to actually cut, OR, it will rip the balsa to shreds. The tool might work, but I suggest using a cut-down hacksaw blade as the saw, with it's finer teeth. The saw here looks specific for cutting soft material like a pumpkin and not harder material like wood, even balsa. But hey, what do I know? Give it a whirl and let us know!

I suggest using a cut-down hacksaw blade as the saw, with it's finer teeth. The saw here looks specific for cutting soft material like a pumpkin and not harder material like wood
Good point. I have hacksaw blades. I think the whole point is that if I can pick this up for under $10 after Halloween it might be worth trying out.

Good point. I have hacksaw blades. I think the whole point is that if I can pick this up for under $10 after Halloween it might be worth trying out.

You may want to look at knife edge jigsaw blades for soft materials, or possibly an abrasive blade like for tile.

Have 3 of these used for pumpkin carving. Just tried it on balsa and it splinters the wood a lot, then dies…not enough power for wood.

Dremel makes an electric saw (motosaw) that can be hand held With much more power and various types of blades.

Have 3 of these used for pumpkin carving. Just tried it on balsa and it splinters the wood a lot, then dies…not enough power for wood.
This is exactly the answer I was looking for. Thank you.

And I have a Dremel, not the motosaw though. It gets used often.

Back