Pumpkin Pi: a big BP cluster project for Rocstock

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DeeRoc29

Reaction score
2021 was kind of a bust for me in terms of flying rockets. But Rocstock at Lucerne is coming up and it turns out I've got the weekend free. So, the question is, what to fly?? Something low stress and fun. I did get a good deal on a bunch of Estes E12's, but I've heard they have a less than stellar track record. How about a big cluster in a cheap rocket? I've had a couple of these old CCA 8.5x73" shipping tubes in storage for decades.

20211106_081338.jpg

How many E12's fit inside? 52! A black powder K motor. Hell yes! Start by supergluing the motors together.

20211030_153555.jpg

A custom nose cone would need to be made. I always wanted to try to turn a foam nose cone in a DIY lathe. I glued up a bunch of 1" pink foam circles on a 3/8" aluminum rod. Chucked it up with a drill motor...and go. Not bad for my first try. I did not glass it, but instead simply coated the foam with epoxy/phenolic microballons. Some filler and primer and we're in business.

20211106_081318(1).jpg

Last edited:
4 Bruiser-type fins cut from 1/4" ply. Fin slots cut.

20211106_172739.jpg

The nosecone is impressive.

What are you doing for ignition?

love your cluster idea DeeRoc. I wish that I could be there to see it fly. Hopefully on the net.

Thanks. While not what I would call perfect, I am happy with it based on how little time it took and how cheap it was. It's gonna do the job.

20211108_163239(1).jpg

The rocket is together and is awaiting orange vinyl. Pics and video coming soon!

2021 was kind of a bust for me in terms of flying rockets. But Rocstock at Lucerne is coming up and it turns out I've got the weekend free. So, the question is, what to fly?? Something low stress and fun. I did get a good deal on a bunch of Estes E12's, but I've heard they have a less than stellar track record. How about a big cluster in a cheap rocket? I've had a couple of these old CCA 8.5x73" shipping tubes in storage for decades.

View attachment 488914

How many E12's fit inside? 52! A black powder K motor. Hell yes! Start by supergluing the motors together.

View attachment 488916

A custom nose cone would need to be made. I always wanted to try to turn a foam nose cone in a DIY lathe. I glued up a bunch of 1" pink foam circles on a 3/8" aluminum rod. Chucked it up with a drill motor...and go. Not bad for my first try. I did not glass it, but instead simply coated the foam with epoxy/phenolic microballons. Some filler and primer and we're in business.

View attachment 488917
What tool did you use to trim the foam on your lathe?

Was there any zippering on the airframe? It looked like it deployed the parachute quite late.

Back