Pulling the tape - am I too late?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

Blast it Tom!

Well-Known Dweeb
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Quick question I shouldn't be typing right now... (critical report at work... and it's our wedding anniversary!)
Masked & sprayed a rocket last night, Rustoleum over Rustoluem pro that had been cured for a week. How soon do you guys pull the tape off? ASAP or wait for full cure or somewhere in between? I can't afford to screw this up and afraid I already might have. It's been about 15 hrs since I sprayed...

manixFan

Not a rocket scientist
Reaction score
One thing I have found that helps minimize lifting paint is pulling the tape back at 180º angle, basically against the body tube away from the 'lift' area. You're minimizing the area the tape is pulling against which seems to help quite a bit.

Maybe it's common knowledge but I learned it the hard way.

Good luck,

Tony

Blast it Tom!

Well-Known Dweeb
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
One thing I have found that helps minimize lifting paint is pulling the tape back at 180º angle, basically against the body tube away from the 'lift' area. You're minimizing the area the tape is pulling against which seems to help quite a bit.

Maybe it's common knowledge but I learned it the hard way.

Good luck,

Tony
Thanks! Yeah, I do that with stickers, in a different sort of way. most adhesives are great in shear, not as good in tension, so if you get it started, pull the sticker straight back over itself and go slow- most seem to come off cleaner with less adhesive residue.

Bruiser

Reaction score
I pull it not long after I have sprayed to give the paint a chance to "settle" at the edges and to prevent any chipping.

Let us know how it goes.

-Bob

Blast it Tom!

Well-Known Dweeb
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I pull it not long after I have sprayed to give the paint a chance to "settle" at the edges and to prevent any chipping.

Let us know how it goes.

-Bob
Oh, I will. Can't get to it until later, unfortunately.

Blast it Tom!

Well-Known Dweeb
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I usually wait a week.
Ah! a vote for patience! Do you score along the tape line with a razor or just pull? Any rough edges? Do you wet sand/clear coat then? (I'm figuring to clear coat to protect come decals).

neil_w

Yum yum rockety goodness
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Ah! a vote for patience! Do you score along the tape line with a razor or just pull? Any rough edges? Do you wet sand/clear coat then? (I'm figuring to clear coat to protect come decals).
I don't score along the paint line because I don't trust myself to follow the edge precisely. It might be a good idea though.

*Usually* I get a decent edge, with an occasional bit of chipping that is usually very easy to fix in touch-up (I've been getting very good at doing touch-ups with these guys). My biggest problem is paint bleeding under loose areas of tape that I somehow failed to burnish down properly.

It is very possible that pulling the tape much earlier would be better, but I'm reluctant to handle the rocket until the paint is cured. Also, I once tried to pull it at exactly the wrong time... after the paint was only partly cured. The paint created strings as I pulled up the tape, leaving a mess. Would need to do it either earlier or later. I decided to just wait rather than try to figure out exact correct timing.

Blast it Tom!

Well-Known Dweeb
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I don't score along the paint line because I don't trust myself to follow the edge precisely. It might be a good idea though.

*Usually* I get a decent edge, with an occasional bit of chipping that is usually very easy to fix in touch-up (I've been getting very good at doing touch-ups with these guys). My biggest problem is paint bleeding under loose areas of tape that I somehow failed to burnish down properly.

It is very possible that pulling the tape much earlier would be better, but I'm reluctant to handle the rocket until the paint is cured. Also, I once tried to pull it at exactly the wrong time... after the paint was only partly cured. The paint created strings as I pulled up the tape, leaving a mess. Would need to do it either earlier or later. I decided to just wait rather than try to figure out exact correct timing.
The guys wanted to paint last night so I did, and recalled later that I'd pressed all the tape with my finger but did not burnish it. But I did spray the white again just to seal the edges of the tape, followed by several light coats of black. We'll see!

tomsteve

Reaction score
once its tacky( i push a finger into the paint(on a scrap piece) and i leave a thumbprint but no paint stays on my finger the tape comes off

SecondRow

Reaction score
My biggest problem is paint bleeding under loose areas of tape that I somehow failed to burnish down properly.
@neil_w, have you ever tried first painting with a light spray of the base coat at the mask line? Let that dry for a few minutes, then spray with the second color. Any paint that leaks under the tape is the same color as the base coat and then it “locks in” the tape. So the second color won’t get under the tape. I find that I get sharper lines that way.

Blast it Tom!

Well-Known Dweeb
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
@neil_w, have you ever tried first painting with a light spray of the base coat at the mask line? Let that dry for a few minutes, then spray with the second color. Any paint that leaks under the tape is the same color as the base coat and then it “locks in” the tape. So the second color won’t get under the tape. I find that I get sharper lines that way.
I did that, at least...

neil_w

Yum yum rockety goodness
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I generally haven't although I may try in the future since I seem to be having this problem over and over. Micromeister used to recommend clear spray for this purpose, since it creates less paint dam. I didn't have much luck with that when I tried it, but I only tried it once so maybe I could have figured it out if I stuck with it.

teepot

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I pull the tape a soon as the rocket is safe to handle. So an hour or two. But I've also left it on over night. I don't like to leave it on that long because of tape residue.

Blast it Tom!

Well-Known Dweeb
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I pull the tape a soon as the rocket is safe to handle. So an hour or two. But I've also left it on over night. I don't like to leave it on that long because of tape residue.
Another reason to do this tonight!

neil_w

Yum yum rockety goodness
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Huh, I have never gotten tape residue with Tamiya or regular blue tape, even after a week or more. What kind of tape are you using?

rklapp

NAR# 109557
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I'm always afraid I'll leave tape residue so hour or two, plus gives me an opportunity to scrape away with the hobby knife any that might have seeped past the tape.

Blast it Tom!

Well-Known Dweeb
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Well, I want to thank all of your for the helpful advice. Over on my sort-kinda-build-and-asking-for-advice-thread, I posted the pictures. It came out very well, and I think it could have been 100% if I'd have remembered to burnish the tape edges. I did use Tamiya (straight) masking tape; I pulled carefully, no razor scoring along the tape, and then added the tail art.

Next week after a little wet sanding of some black mist that managed to find a small tear, she'll get her clear coat and then hopefully onto the 'chute construction, final weighing and stability checks!

Thanks again all!

Rktman

Eric
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Scoring works really well and prevents chipping issues, even if the paint has cured for a very long time (as in weeks).

SecondRow

Reaction score
Looks good to me. I think you’re almost always going to have to do touch ups on a rocket like the V2. Doing that checkered pattern on a flat surface is hard enough. Getting it perfect the first time on a curved surface requires time, patience, a steady hand and an even temper. So, nearly impossible for me.

icyclops

Reaction score
If I am done with the last spray, I pull it off right away as there is little benefit on keeping it on. I use multiple thin coats instead of loading it on...seems to work better and less edge creep. Plus, less orange peel effect.