Public Apology

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimzcatz

Boss, Carolina Rocket Mafia
Reaction score
I just received my 30 year pin from Tripoli. In the past several years I have became somewhat of a butthead. My experience does not give me the right to call anyone an idiot, especially newbies. Yes, I have been called to the carpet by friends whom I respect greatly. I want to make a public apology to ANYONE whom I may have offended over the years. I will be copying this to the NAR group page and to TRF. There is no excuse for my past behavior just be sure that going forward I will endeavor to be the professional that my years shows I should be. If you see me at a launch look me up. I guess that's about it

I just received my 30 year pin from Tripoli. In the past several years I have became somewhat of a butthead. My experience does not give me the right to call anyone an idiot, especially newbies. Yes, I have been called to the carpet by friends whom I respect greatly. I want to make a public apology to ANYONE whom I may have offended over the years. I will be copying this to the NAR group page and to TRF. There is no excuse for my past behavior just be sure that going forward I will endeavor to be the professional that my years shows I should be. If you see me at a launch look me up. I guess that's about it

Meh. While you seem to like to fly bigger rockets than I can afford to fly, I'd say your biggest offense to me has been to park closer to the flight line than I did. In all fairness, I probably got there around 1pm, while you got their much earlier.

I'll say you are quite an opinionated person at times, but I'm a big boy and I can agree, disagree or just not care (in general, I just don't care, so no offense. . .).

I do look forward to seeing you at a launch sooner than later. I've heard you're helping TRA people get their paperwork handled at Midland recently and that will help a friend of mine in the coming weeks or months.

We all need to mellow down a bit (COVID, inflation, job, family issues, etc.), but at the end of the day, rocket people are weird enough that we should stick together and support one another.

Sandy.

I hope to meet you this year at a NC launch, and you've not met a real "Stinker" till you've met me.
Look forward to it. On a side note regarding you signature, I have 4 Infinity SM-125s in my home theater setup, Freakin Awesome!!!

Jim and anyone that is reading this,
I have appreciated the people in rocketry more than any other hobby I have been in. It is their care and good nature that reminds me to be a better person. "Goodness" is infectious. I am amazed at myself that I need so many reminders... a slow learner on some things I guess. It takes an even bigger person to publicly say what you have said. .... and I think jeez look at me I hide behind a fake name "zeta" what the heck is that !
~z

@Zeta - I second that, I've been in rocketry over 50 years, and most of my favorite memories revolve around rocket people that I've met over the years and learned to respect. I could name dozens.
@jimzcatz - Never had the pleasure of meeting you (don't think so anyway) but respect you already. I flew with Tripoli out of Bayboro for several years when I lived in NC. You probably know Alan Whitmore well, great guy.

I know you as a friend and it takes a big person to make such an apology. You've made a huge contribution to the hobby in 30 years and it's a long list.
Thank you for that.
All the best-
Dave A

@Zeta - I second that, I've been in rocketry over 50 years, and most of my favorite memories revolve around rocket people that I've met over the years and learned to respect. I could name dozens.
@jimzcatz - Never had the pleasure of meeting you (don't think so anyway) but respect you already. I flew with Tripoli out of Bayboro for several years when I lived in NC. You probably know Alan Whitmore well, great guy.
I am proud to say that I actually introduced Alan to rocketry. Now he is head of TMT.

I’ve never read anything you posted in here that has even come close to offending me Jim. I do notice, with an inappropriate grin on my part, reading your signature line, that the same doesn’t apply to the two rocketry groups that disinvited you from flying with them. I hate to see you have your rocketry endeavors limited by people who either can’t take a joke or a strong opinion. Keep flying and posting here, and give the finger to those two groups . . . for me. 😎

Hello Jim. May 2022 be better for you in many ways. It' s always good to see you at a launch in the Midwest. Take care, stay safe. Greg Olson

It takes immense courage and maturity to publicly apologize. Especially in today's callous world.

We can all act less than stellar at times. I would like to think that our bond of humanity is bigger than the issues that sometimes separate us.

Kudos to you.

Well said..
+1..

Jim,
You are a wonderful man,,
and now,, you are a big man,, inside..

Teddy

In my observations, you've come across sometimes as the "stay off my lawn" old guy... To some, not so good. To others, well... :p
So, apology has been delivered, and we move on. You always come to MWP, so maybe next year, you should actually fly a rocket. :cool:

I've never met you and don't know anything about you, honestly, but the tenor of your apology and the fact that you would make it, whether warranted or not, makes me think well of you. Hopefully we'll meet someday, but who knows what fate has in store. Thanks for trying to right any wrongs and provide a good example for the rest of us!

In my observations, you've come across sometimes as the "stay off my lawn" old guy... To some, not so good. To others, well... :p
So, apology has been delivered, and we move on. You always come to MWP, so maybe next year, you should actually fly a rocket. :cool:
I have a KBA M1450 for Mini. See you there

Last edited:

JIm usually doesn't fly at MWP because he volunteers ALL of his time to help out with the launch..
Usually RSO, pretty much for the entire launch..

I've never met you and don't know anything about you, honestly, but the tenor of your apology and the fact that you would make it, whether warranted or not, makes me think well of you. Hopefully we'll meet someday, but who knows what fate has in store. Thanks for trying to right any wrongs and provide a good example for the rest of us!

+1...
What a wonderful example Jim has set for us to see.

Teddy

Jim, personally, you have never offended me, but then, like you, I’m just “sometimes” a cranky ole geezer. I do believe that folks these days, not all, but some, go looking for something to be offended by. Like CW says, we all need to lighten up. So in light of that, I too Jim, offer this apolgy.
Pat G 🤣

I think it’s great you are acknowledging past poor behavior, apologizing, and resolving to do better. Let’s hope it sticks.

A lot of members and personal friends have expressed an opinion that you haven’t done anything wrong or you have nothing to apologize for. Most people behave better in person than they do online, so I’m sure your personal friends and real-world rocketry acquaintances have a higher opinion of you than those who only know you from your online persona. You’ve acknowledged insulting new members and calling people idiots online, and that’s definitely a consistent and troubling online behavior pattern I have observed over all the years I’ve been on this forum and a member of the NAR and Tripoli Facebook groups. It’s a reputation built up over years, so I think you have some work ahead to repair it. I honestly hope you can make a change and turn it around. Good luck.

We all need to lighten up. I look forward to seeing more of your flights.

It was the imp in me, with no intention of offending you. In fact, after your post, I noticed you are a member of both those clubs. My reaction . . . big oops.

It was the imp in me, with no intention of offending you. In fact, after your post, I noticed you are a member of both those clubs. My reaction . . . big oops.
Not directed toward you. Just in general.

Back