PSII Argent Gallery?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EXPjawa

Reaction score
I was looking for a gallery for the Estes Argent, but haven't found one. It seems that these rockets are common enough at launches, so its not obscure or anything. There seem to galleries for the Leviathan and the Partizon, but not for the other models (obviously Nike Smoke and MDRM fall into pre-existing galleries). These are shots of my Argent on its maiden flight:

19440210933_6fb271abff_c.jpg

20066551171_e802f849ec_c.jpg

19873120008_f9c5b26ba2_c.jpg

20053328912_5bebccdc9f_c.jpg

I just finished a Leviathan, just started a Ventris, and I think the Argent will be next. I love that paint job on yours! Was it a pretty straightforward build, as much as the other PS II offerings? What motor did you use?

I was looking for a gallery for the Estes Argent, but haven't found one. It seems that these rockets are common enough at launches, so its not obscure or anything. There seem to galleries for the Leviathan and the Partizon, but not for the other models (obviously Nike Smoke and MDRM fall into pre-existing galleries). These are shots of my Argent on its maiden flight:

Very Nice!

I can't tell the exact colors you used, but it sure looks Nice!

Thanks guys. The base color is Rustoleum "Champagne Mist", over which dark red and gold decals from Stickershock are applied. Incidentally, Mark now has a picture of this rocket on his site. The nose cone is painted with Rustoleum as well, I think the color is called Colonial Red. It appears to be a fairly close match to the red vinyl, though it looks closer in photos than in real life. The basic suggested color combination did nothing for me, though I liked the color placement. I had, for some reason, a desert landscape in my mind when I picked the colors, which I'll have to expand on when I build my Sahara (mine will not be purple, though it might have some purple on it).

The build is pretty much the same as the other PSII kits that I've built (a Nike Smoke & Leviathan) in terms of all the basics. Nothing really unique here, and it requires the same basic modifications that the other do (shock chord mount, etc).

I think in that shot I flew it on an AT single use F50 motor, maybe a 7 second delay, but I don't recall at the moment. What the pictures here don't tell you, because I put the camera down at deployment, was that half of the shroud lines pulled out, so the chute never inflated. Deployment was right near apogee, so I don't think the rocket was going particularly fast at the time, but it was enough to yank them out. It appeared that the stitching went around the end of the shroud lines in the nylon, but never actually across it. So, I'd suggest that you take a look at that as you build. I'm not sure if I should go back to Estes and complain or not; the chute did flail enough to slow it down some, and it landed in the carrots without any real damage. I can resew the chute, so its probably not worth making a claim over.

Last edited:
I'm glad there wasn't any major damage done by the harder than usual landing. And thank you for the heads up on the chute. If I were you, I'd take pictures of it and the bad stitching and I'd contact Estes. They may not do anything about it, but I have a feeling a defective chute will be replaced. Never hurts to try. Remember, the answer is always "No" if you don't ask!

I had a bad chute in my kit. About half the shroud lines were frayed where they join the canopy, with less than half of the stitches actually in the lines because of it. I also had 2 shroud lines where you could actually see and feel the melt joint where they had run out of line on the spool and heat spliced another onto it! I didn't trust it from the get go, even before I opened the bag it was in.

I sent pictures to Estes customer service, and about a week later a new one arrived at my door.

Last edited:
Estes is great about replacing damaged parts. Sometimes they send you a whole new kit. :wink:

She's had about a dozen flights and shows a little "hangar rash" and "air-ware" but this one was part of my BAR...

Not sure why it rotates but you get the picture.

image.jpg

I just finished a Leviathan, just started a Ventris, and I think the Argent will be next. I love that paint job on yours! Was it a pretty straightforward build, as much as the other PS II offerings? What motor did you use?

FWIW, it is a very similar build to the ones you have done and are doing. I like the AT G64-7W and AT G53-7FJ.

FWIW, it is a very similar build to the ones you have done and are doing. I like the AT G64-7W and AT G53-7FJ.

Thanks for the info! I'm starting the priming on the Ventris today. Should be painted by the middle of next week.

I love your paint/display stand Banzai88!

Thanks. I got the idea from a pictures on the NAR Facebook page. One day when it was raining my kids and I had a "Fun with PVC" day. The stand takes about $5 worth of fittings and a $2 pipe. The cradle is about $3.50 worth of fittings and you can get 2 from a 10 foot pipe. I use 1/2 inch pipe for my MPR, and will probably use something stouter for my Madcow Torrent. The trick is to use whatever will just fit in the ring of the motor retainer, and I make the posts that goes into the rocket as long as the motor mount tube for full support.

For the cradle, Dollar Tree sells pool noodles for $1 in 5 different flavors. You can get one cradle plus from each noodle.

11224293_722495024544057_7885389398825939565_o.jpg

I got a reply back from Estes customer service this morning regarding the pictures of the failed chute line that I had sent them. They're sending me an entire replacement kit for my trouble, which I didn't think was too much trouble since I resewed the original chute lines over the weekend. On top of that, I'd ordered another Argent to kitbash last week, so now I'll have yet another. As has been said many times, many ways - excellent customer service here...

That's fantastic news! Glad to hear it! I had a feeling they'd take care of you for the trouble. I'm ordering my Argent soon!

One notable exception to everything going well this weekend was my Argent's second flight. First flight on a F26-6T SU was textbook perfect. Second flight on an F50-6T boosted like a boss.....then the ejection charge blew in the coupler, and then blew it all off of the top of the rocket. No, it wasn't jammed in the tube, if anything it might should have had one more piece of tape to perfect the gap. Booster came in flat and hit hard, sustainer came in ballistic and went in nose first. Parachute fully deployed at separation in a beautiful canopy, and was at least a 100 feet over the trees (over 1/4 mile away from the pads) as it drifted off into never never land. Turns out the plastic on the one side was just over paper thin. Pretty sure I can get it flying again with a new coupler and some paint.

Attachments

• 20151026_163629.jpg
    20151026_163629.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 46
  • 20151026_163641.jpg
    20151026_163641.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 131
  • 20151026_163647.jpg
    20151026_163647.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 39
To remedy this on the next build, run a piece of all thread through the coupler, with a nut on top and an eyelet on the bottom. Maybe flood the bottom of inside of the coupler with epoxy?
You can still do your removable-rivet mod on the top of the coupler (I like that idea!)

Back