"Pseudo Sandhawk" Kitbash Build

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hey Nike

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I decided to post a build thread in case anyone is interested. The "Pseudo Sandhawk" is a semi-scale version of the classic Terrier-Sandhawk sounding rocket built up from parts rescued from an old Estes BLU-97 "cluster bomb" rocket kit (for the booster) and the BT-60 tubes and coupler from an Estes Star Orbiter (for the sustainer).

Here is a rough idea of the airframe and the finish colors:

upload_2018-11-7_22-42-33.png

I'll be sharing photos and details of the build, and welcome any ideas, suggestions, guidance, etc.

Running a little behind in posting progress. I have cemented the tail cone that came with the Estes BLU-97 kit. I notched it to allow the engine hook an exit, but needed to fashion a fairing to dress the hook slot. I cut this from an old plastic airplane kit belly tank and integrated it into the tail cone as a "vent fairing", so I guess my fictitious booster is now a hybrid.

IMG_2088.JPG IMG_2091.JPG IMG_2092.JPG IMG_2093.JPG IMG_2099.JPG

A few more photos as the booster stage build progresses. I have fitted the motor mount to the airframe, added the tailcone and transition that will mate to the Sandhawk sustainer stage, and added launch lugs. On to building up the fins for the booster next...
IMG_2101.JPG IMG_2103.JPG IMG_2115.JPG

I started fin construction by building balsa cores based on the fin profiles. I glued a spar on each side of the fin core perpendicular to the airframe to support the skin. I covered the core with .0200 styrene sheeting to achieve the contour of the Terrier style fins. After finishing the first fin, I decided that the fin root was too thick and the resulting skins a little larger than the proper profile. So I will start with an amended pattern and thinner spars. The good news is I came very close to achieving my goal of 7g per fin. This one weighed in at 8g, so I can hopefully shed a gram with the new design.
IMG_2118.JPG IMG_2186.JPG IMG_2195.JPG IMG_2196.JPG IMG_2201.JPG IMG_2200.JPG

Back