PSA - Loki Price Increase 2022/03/08

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmasterj

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
It looks like Loki's prices have increased again. I don't have a direct record of the previous price change from a couple months ago, but FlightSketch got a restock and I believe those prices match the previous batch. It looks like, from G to small J, the prices increased $2/load. 38mm hardware definitely increased as well. I assume this is part of the general inflation going on, but a 10-20% increase (across the two separate increases) in just a few months is tough. I guess it's not as bad as the gas prices?

Reloads:
https://lokiresearch.com/secure/store.asp?groupid=83120041043101938mm reloads before most recent price increase:
https://flightsketch.com/store/catalog/category/motors/by-mfg/loki_40/Reloads before the last two price increases:
https://web.archive.org/web/2021041....com/secure/store.asp?groupid=831200410431019

Dang, I thought Loki was getting expensive after the last price increase compared to A or C. Their H100 was one of my favorite reloads. Its gone from $39 to $49 in a little over a year. I got 2 left, then time for a new favorite.

I ordered a M-1882 reload on 12-2021, price $410.00.
03-2022 listed for $418.00.

That was after the first (larger) price increase, it was $370 in November. $8 is certainly pretty minor on a $400 motor, though.

First of all, it cost me now $1200.00 to fuel the truck. Second, the M2050X for my V 2 went up $130.00, and you complain about 2 bucks :)

I don't fly Ms, so I haven't been tracking those prices. I'm more surprised about the second price increase (though maybe I shouldn't have been) than complaining about $2/motor. I also also find unannounced price increases frustrating almost regardless of the number.

Dang, I thought Loki was getting expensive after the last price increase compared to A or C. Their H100 was one of my favorite reloads. Its gone from $39 to $49 in a little over a year. I got 2 left, then time for a new favorite.

Yeah, $50 for a mid-H seems expensive, but mostly in comparison to the discounts that can be had on Aerotech especially.

The closest comparable motor AT makes is the H178 DM ( 50 newton's more ) that goes in the 38/360 . This load retails for $52.99.

The Loki 38/240 has 230 NS and retails now at $49.

Scott's motors by far out perform virtually any other brands motors for performance and reliability.

Last edited:
Loki is not the only one that raised their prices. Thankfully I got a 38/240 motor from Mile High Rocketry last week. Anyway I was looking at a fiberglass rocket kit and noticed it was $20 more today than it was Monday. Now I think I will pass on it and look for something else. I think we will see a price increase on most everything now that they can use that Russian conflict as an excuse. JMHO

I have been an avid supporter of Loki for years but no more. He has priced himself out of my business. What used to be a 300$ load is now 431$. A 400$ load is now over 600$. He Sh%#s on his dealers . AP supply is not his problem. I wish him success but in this tiny market his business ethic is severely lacking. If you are going to have a chain of dealers you should not sell retail to Joe or Jane rocket flyer. Just my .02

I have been an avid supporter of Loki for years but no more. He has priced himself out of my business. What used to be a 300$ load is now 431$. A 400$ load is now over 600$. He Sh%#s on his dealers . AP supply is not his problem. I wish him success but in this tiny market his business ethic is severely lacking. If you are going to have a chain of dealers you should not sell retail to Joe or Jane rocket flyer. Just my .02
Jim I have no problem with a manufacturer selling direct to customers. Some buyers can only get products through mail order. Years ago there was a manufacturer at LDRS who was selling there products at a cheaper price than their dealers were paying for products. That was totally wrong. Even Aerotech sells direct.

Aerotech will send buyers to dealers. CTI won't sell direct. Every Loki dealer can ship. Selling direct is taking money from dealers and that's not right. I stand by my post

OK, I stand corrected. If a dealer can't ship hazmat he shouldn't be a dealer. I am still dead set against manufacturers selling retail if they have a dealer chain. They should support their dealers.

Aerotech will send buyers to dealers. CTI won't sell direct. Every Loki dealer can ship. Selling direct is taking money from dealers and that's not right. I stand by my post
I understand what your saying. But with Loki having very few dealers Scott needs to sell direct.

Scott does not need to sell direct he chooses to
Big difference. He should support the dealers he has. He will even show up at a launch and undercut an on-site dealer. This is what I am against. Loki has a great product line just poor business practices IMHO.

The only dealer who shipped was CSR who no longer carries his product. The other 3 or 4 choose not to ship because they don’t want to mess with hazmat.

You might as well condemn Estes from selling direct and also offering specials from time to time. Personally I will buy from who has the product I am looking for in stock at the best price. Loki even before Scott owned it offered deals at launches. I remember buying a bunch of J loads when LDRS was in Potter.

I used to fly Loki G's because for awhile there, they were equal or cheaper sometimes than buying two Aerotech G's and I could pick them up at a launch but now they cost more than two G64's would if I bought on-site and between that and him ditching CSR, I've stopped flying them altogether.

I used to fly Loki G's because for awhile there, they were equal or cheaper sometimes than buying two Aerotech G's and I could pick them up at a launch but now they cost more than two G64's would if I bought on-site and between that and him ditching CSR, I've stopped flying them altogether.
Not a very fair comparison. Loki G reloads are a 1 grain 38mm reload. Go check the prices of Aerotech and CTI 1 grain 38mm G reloads. Loki sells them 2 reloads per pack. Loki is about same price as other per load. Some of them are cheaper plus can be shipped no hazmat.

The only dealer who shipped was CSR who no longer carries his product.
Not by my choice.
You might as well condemn Estes from selling direct and also offering specials from time to time. Personally I will buy from who has the product I am looking for in stock at the best price. Loki even before Scott owned it offered deals at launches. I remember buying a bunch of J loads when LDRS was in Potter.
Those days are gone, dealers have a no discount agreement as condition to selling the product.

Loki is not the only one that raised their prices. Thankfully I got a 38/240 motor from Mile High Rocketry last week. Anyway I was looking at a fiberglass rocket kit and noticed it was $20 more today than it was Monday. Now I think I will pass on it and look for something else. I think we will see a price increase on most everything now that they can use that Russian conflict as an excuse. JMHO

Some of us noticed that Estes raised their prices about 10% early in January, long before the Russian conflict kicked in. Some of us (like myself) went online and found that Hobby Lobby was and still is selling engines at the same price as last year, though I expect at some point when they restock their warehouses the new prices will kick in.

Back