3D Printing Prusa XL

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Has Prusa said what material the printed parts on the XL and MK4 are made from? PETG like usual or are they doing more than the fan shroud in ASA/ABS?
No, the shroud in the past was made from ASA. I typically reprint them in 30 days from PC Blend. I have one printer where I had it printed with Ultem.

MK4 is an update to the MK3S. It adds:
  • Increase in quiet 3D printing
  • All metal hotend - No PTFE
  • Fully automatic first layer calibration thanks to the Load Cell sensor - live Z
  • Print right out of the box - no print sheets profiles, no tinkering, no Live Adjust Z!
  • Nextruder – our new extruder with a custom breakout board and smart features - 10:1 gearbox ratio
  • Easy maintenance, quick-swap nozzles, and removable print sheets
  • 32 bit Controls with Color LCD screen with simple-to-navigate UI and quick access to all important functions
  • Ethernet and Wi-fi connection
  • Open-source
  • Faster prints with same quality. I have seen several prints 4 times faster than the Mk3S and that is without fully implementing image shaper.
Sounds very comparable to the Bambu P1P that just arrived for me yesterday.

Ex
Sounds very comparable to the Bambu P1P that just arrived for me yesterday.
Except for the gearbox ratio. I think the planetary gears are fairly novel. I am interested to see if they function better with flexibles. My Mk3S does a fantastic job with flexible filaments. The rest of my printers do not do as well.

Once I get my kit, I will make a head-to-head comparison and post it. I will also compare the Bambu to the XL once I get the XL. I might even buy the Multimaterial units from both companies and compare them.

Last edited:
I received my duty notice - $96. Not bad on a $2600 printer. Shipping was $218.

LOL At least you get the contents! :p
Yup. I am looking forward to a finger of bourbon and sitting down with my son to build this over the weekend. Any suggestions on the first non-test print?

I got a great deal on Blanton's Single Barrel for $47.70 and when I got to the counter they had Gold and Barrel Strength with it as a 3-bottle package. The other two I put up for a special occasion.

I got a great deal on Blanton's Single Barrel for $47.70 and when I got to the counter they had Gold and Barrel Strength with it as a 3-bottle package. The other two I put up for a special occasion.
Kewl!

My go-to bourbon has been Balcone's, lately. I really like their True Blue and Baby Blue bourbons made with blue corn.

I carried the box out to the workshop and opened it. Darn, that thing is heavy.

The first line in the instructions: warning box is heavy - too late. Already carried it out there.

It is really well packed in basically 5 boxes Within one:

Three on top and two large lift out boxes.

IMG_3219.jpeg

One of the two lift out boxes on the bottom
IMG_3227.jpeg

A lot less to build on this kit than I would have thought for a kit.

First set of parts

IMG_3231.jpeg

First step done with 8 screws

IMG_3232.jpeg

Pretty sturdy for only 8 screws. It does have a center pint between the screws.

IMG_3233.jpeg

Next weekend step is to attach the display and run the wires on the bottom.

IMG_3238.jpeg

You almost can't see the wires. Now that was a pain in the behind to do.

I will post more photos tomorrow. It is assembled. Took about 6-8 hours of building. 1 hour of tinkering. 2 Hours on the chat support but it is running now.

Added the top assembly which was already put together. Like the bottom, it till 8 screws that were guided by central metal pins. Easy Peasy.

IMG_3240.jpeg

Back