3D Printing Prusa XL

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That is another plus for Prusa; so far, every printer produced has an upgrade path along its product line. MK2 could go to an MK3S+ as long as you purchased them. ....
Another reason why I choose Prusa. My next FFM printer will be the X1 (or whatever evolutionary model they are on based on that base unit). I will wait until production stabilizes and they are readily available. My focus right now is resin and since this is just one of many hobbies for me, I can afford to wait.

Which brings up my question for you Chuck, what do you think the "next step" will be for the X1? Seems they are packing in a lot for this first release and not likely going to upgrade for a few years. What are your thoughts on where they will go. All seems to be moving pretty quickly.

Another reason why I choose Prusa. My next FFM printer will be the X1 (or whatever evolutionary model they are on based on that base unit). I will wait until production stabilizes and they are readily available. My focus right now is resin and since this is just one of many hobbies for me, I can afford to wait.

Which brings up my question for you Chuck, what do you think the "next step" will be for the X1? Seems they are packing in a lot for this first release and not likely going to upgrade for a few years. What are your thoughts on where they will go. All seems to be moving pretty quickly.
Hard to tell. Time will tell if they create an update pathway. If not, it will create a lot of e-waste,

I doubt there will be an upgrade path, same as most other printer manufacturers. Whether any 3rd party start to create unofficial add ons is open.

The interesting thing about the XL is the different tool heads. I've switched to .6 nozzle to print some of the petg-cf and pa6-cf... While it's straight fwd once you've done it to switch it's still a pain.

XL with multiple tool heads and AMS like would be great.

I haven't seen much, not looked again, but seemed the on printer control is subpar for today's printers. If the remote is decent or even built into prusa slicer like the Bambu has done that'd be nice.

I doubt there will be an upgrade path, same as most other printer manufacturers. Whether any 3rd party start to create unofficial add ons is open.

The interesting thing about the XL is the different tool heads. I've switched to .6 nozzle to print some of the petg-cf and pa6-cf... While it's straight fwd once you've done it to switch it's still a pain.

XL with multiple tool heads and AMS like would be great.

I haven't seen much, not looked again, but seemed the on printer control is subpar for today's printers. If the remote is decent or even built into prusa slicer like the Bambu has done that'd be nice.
Have you used an XL? Everything I read says the controls are a step forward from current models.

I find nothing stupid about the dial. I find it intuitive and precise.

Like switches and everything else, there is always personal preference. But certainly not like most contemporary competitors.

But if it has online access, probably doesn't matter that much

I find nothing stupid about the dial. I find it intuitive and precise.
I think the "dial" or touch screen or switches or whatever interface out there is solely relying on the individual understanding the menu structure to make it "easy". In other words, once you learn where the item you are looking for is in the menu tree, how you get there is almost secondary. I like the dial because that is what I use. It may not be as "cool" as a touch screen but it works well. I think the next step "up" would be an interface that requires no physical interaction like you guys are talking about where the control is contained within the slicer.

I think the "dial" or touch screen or switches or whatever interface out there is solely relying on the individual understanding the menu structure to make it "easy". In other words, once you learn where the item you are looking for is in the menu tree, how you get there is almost secondary. I like the dial because that is what I use. It may not be as "cool" as a touch screen but it works well. I think the next step "up" would be an interface that requires no physical interaction like you guys are talking about where the control is contained within the slicer.
It is more durable in my shop than a touch screen. I wish I had one on my resin printers.

My current printers do things from the slicer, and the on-printer controls are just for maintenance stuff. (Saying OK to a firmware upgrade and such.) This seems to be the most natural way and I'm guessing whatever is mounted on the printer itself isn't that important.

My current printers do things from the slicer, and the on-printer controls are just for maintenance stuff. (Saying OK to a firmware upgrade and such.) This seems to be the most natural way and I'm guessing whatever is mounted on the printer itself isn't that important.
Same here. I do most of my stuff with Octroprint and Klipper. I use the screen to change nozzles and beds.

How/what/where you print really influences how good/bad a printer's physical and web UI's are. As Bravo said...you can get used to the UI, but some are still better than others. S1 Pro with its touch screen lets me manually move axis quicker/easier than Prusa Mini or MK3. The ease of moving axis doesn't always matter, but I appreciate being able to quickly and easily do it on the S1 Pro.

On my MK3 I typically use Octoprint so the rudimentary physical UI isn't that big of a deal. I do the clicky spinny thing on my MK2.5, but that printer doesn't get as much use.

I print from flash drive on my Mini and I really appreciate the preview of the object I'm about to print. I also like the default print sequence...heat to 170C, bed mesh, heat to full temp and start print. I click print and walk away not worrying about filament oozing. You can mitigate that with custom gcode, but it's a nice built-in.

Just got the shipping confirmation for my X1C! Looking forward to the 5min+ calibration sequence before it starts printing. :)

Yeah - what a dilemma to have - MK4 or XL!?

MK4 - $1000 pre-assembled. Shipping now.
XL - $2000 pre-assembled. Long wait list?

So would the XL be for more professionals, and the MK4 is for hobbyists??

That is tough. I will have to order an upgrade slowly.
Indeed. Tricky pricing ladder. $250 is easy-ish for many to justify and does get you the better screen and input shaping which is nice. But in order to get the new hotend, extruder, loadcell/tap it's double and $500 is a much harder pill to swallow. At that point you might as well throw in another $80 and get the precision steppers.

I'd like to see pricing on the individual parts before committing to an upgrade kit for my MK3S+. Would be nice to start with the $250 upgrade kit and do the Nextruder later -- assuming it isn't significantly more expensive to get those parts separately later.

Upgrade kits aren't shipping until June.

Indeed. Tricky pricing ladder. $250 is easy-ish for many to justify and does get you the better screen and input shaping which is nice. But in order to get the new hotend, extruder, loadcell/tap it's double and $500 is a much harder pill to swallow. At that point you might as well throw in another $80 and get the precision steppers.

I'd like to see pricing on the individual parts before committing to an upgrade kit for my MK3S+. Would be nice to start with the $250 upgrade kit and do the Nextruder later -- assuming it isn't significantly more expensive to get those parts separately later.

Upgrade kits aren't shipping until June.
I have decided that I am going to buy four Mk4s and keep my Mk3S models as is or upgrade to the MK3.5. They are still useful. I do not think I is worth it for me. I think the Mk4s will be very usefully for me for larger prints.

I will be ordering both. Well, I am waiting for the XL and will order an MK4 when a kit is available.
Seems the $799 price on the Mk4 kit is very reasonable. I think Prusa is still the best game in town at most price points for what you get. I think I'm going to wait on the Mk4 because I really want the XL and...must.be.patient. 😩 I really don't have a driving need for another printer at this point other than "I want it" and just can't justify it right now.

Look forward to your review of the XL and then comparison to the new features on the Mk4!

What are the differences and/or similarities between the XL and MK4?

XL has a bigger print area.

XL has 16 zone heat bed - supposedly better to prevent warping? It'll not use the zones not being printed on - so saves money. MK4 (looks like) has the same bed as MK3.

Many, many features are shared - load cell, more temp sensors...

What are the differences and/or similarities between the XL and MK4?

XL has a bigger print area.

XL has 16 zone heat bed - supposedly better to prevent warping? It'll not use the zones not being printed on - so saves money. MK4 (looks like) has the same bed as MK3.

Many, many features are shared - load cell, more temp sensors...
MK4 is an update to the MK3S. It adds:
  • Increase in quiet 3D printing
  • All metal hotend - No PTFE
  • Fully automatic first layer calibration thanks to the Load Cell sensor - live Z
  • Print right out of the box - no print sheets profiles, no tinkering, no Live Adjust Z!
  • Nextruder – our new extruder with a custom breakout board and smart features - 10:1 gearbox ratio
  • Easy maintenance, quick-swap nozzles, and removable print sheets
  • 32 bit Controls with Color LCD screen with simple-to-navigate UI and quick access to all important functions
  • Ethernet and Wi-fi connection
  • Open-source
  • Faster prints with same quality. I have seen several prints 4 times faster than the Mk3S and that is without fully implementing image shaper.

The price for the MK3S+ > MK4 upgrade is understandable. But in comparison to the full MK4 kit, the upgrade is hard to justify imho.

So, for me the hard choice is, in order of preference, are Voron - Prusa XL - Prusa MK4. I already own an MK3S+, so cannot justify an MK4 unless I take a hit and sell the MK3S+. More to the point, I really want a larger print volume machine.

There are upgrade options for the Voron that give it multi-material/multi-head functionality that I can add over time.

So the big question is, Voron or Prusa XL, which one is more cost effective for the total life of ownership?

The price for the MK3S+ > MK4 upgrade is understandable. But in comparison to the full MK4 kit, the upgrade is hard to justify imho.

So, for me the hard choice is, in order of preference, are Voron - Prusa XL - Prusa MK4. I already own an MK3S+, so cannot justify an MK4 unless I take a hit and sell the MK3S+. More to the point, I really want a larger print volume machine.

There are upgrade options for the Voron that give it multi-material/multi-head functionality that I can add over time.

So the big question is, Voron or Prusa XL, which one is more cost effective for the total life of ownership?
That is a difficult decision. I think the XL is superior because of the load cell leveling mechanism. Then again, that is conjecture because I do not own one yet. I am assuming it will work well.

Similar capabilities, but different strategies. Voron is great if you enjoy the building/learning/tinkering experience, want to be self-sufficient, use mostly commodity parts. Prusa is great if you don't want to build...or want a paint-by-numbers build experience, like having most stuff just work, company support.

You can buy a Voron kit (I vote Trident) today and be building in a week or two. It will cost less $$$. Prusa XL is a wait...of unknown duration and will cost more. Might be worth it depending on your preferences.

I think the XL is superior because of the load cell leveling mechanism.
I expect Prusa load cell and Voron Tap to be on par with little real-world difference.

Back