3D Printing Prusa XL

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I ordered one with one extruder and fully assembled but changed the order to 5 extruders and semi-assembled it within 90 days of my initial order. My order is due to ship in January, but I might get a demo machine before that.
Any word on when your XL will ship? My order is a couple months after yours.

Any word on when your XL will ship? My order is a couple months after yours.
They are in the final beta testing right now. I expect more news soon and to ship my March to May. They are being decimated by supply issues.

Here's a good update on the status of the XL. Interesting that they chose to ship with a .6 nozzle.

It is a significant update. I talked to a high-ranking individual in the organization, and they are real close. They have moved to the 0.6mm nozzle because it makes no difference in quality.

Yeah, there was an interesting linked video about why 4mm nozzles became the standard (historical accident and more primitive software).

I have decided to take a one nozzle model and upgrade later. I demoed one recently and like the printer. I am told that the wait will be till May to get a 5 nozzle. I do not need multimaterial off the bat, so I will wait.

I have decided to take a one nozzle model and upgrade later. I demoed one recently and like the printer. I am told that the wait will be till May to get a 5 nozzle. I do not need multimaterial off the bat, so I will wait.

Any thoughts? I would like to post a review here as early as possible. I am willing to be second fiddle to the 5 heads as long as I can review the one head near the front of the Queue.

Any thoughts?
I guess you would have to consider the impact on your printing. I suspect you haven't had too many issues not having a MMU to this point or if you have one, you know the impact already.

We struggled with our MMU when trying to upgrade an older Prusa and while it eventually work well, the way it prints was different enough from a single extruder (shifting to purge, time, g-code) that it became clear it was more "I like the Wow" than the "I need it now". The one thing I wanted was to be able to print dissolvable supports and I never got around to that. It might be nice to get the single and acclimate yourself to the printer then opt for the MMU later. That way you'll be well versed in the XL and won't have to learn them all at the same time.
Having said all that, it's a "Prusa" so it'll be pretty good right out of the box! You likely won't need much time to "get acquainted".

Any thoughts? I would like to post a review here as early as possible. I am willing to be second fiddle to the 5 heads as long as I can review the one head near the front of the Queue.
I ordered the 2-head, but will probably change my order to 3-head once the window opens. (I already have 2 good 3D printers, so the main appeal of the Prusa is the multiple filaments at this point.) We've waited a long time already, I can be patient.

There is plenty to review on a one head XL to make it worthwhile if you are not needing multi-materials.

Wahoo! The textured PEI sheet gift will be useful.
Yes, it will. I ordered within minutes. Prusa said yesterday that the first hour would take weeks to months to fill. They sold thousands in the first hour.

First hour?! Wonder how long wait is, if I ordered one now - a year, if I'm lucky? I'll start saving...
I suspect they will speed things up and you will get it sooner. I order two Mk3S before the formal released. One within hours of announcing and one a month before the shipping. I got one 2 months after the first ship and one 5-6 months after.

I read the latest update and progress is pretty disappointing. I ordered a Bambu X1 Carbon with AMS in the mean time. It'll be interesting to see how the Bambu forces other manufacturers to step up their game. I suspect there's going to be big improvements in the next couple of years.

I'm not cancelling my XL order, but Prusa has a lot of catching up to do at the moment and they seem to be moving at a glacial pace. That 360 build volume will really be nice, but I'm worried about them being behind the times (speed, input shaping, etc). A Voron 350 would also be a possibility, although that puts one into the "enthusiast" category, which I'm not sure about. (Building the printer sounds fun, but I don't want to have to tinker with it.)

I read the latest update and progress is pretty disappointing. I ordered a Bambu X1 Carbon with AMS in the mean time. It'll be interesting to see how the Bambu forces other manufacturers to step up their game. I suspect there's going to be big improvements in the next couple of years.

I'm not cancelling my XL order, but Prusa has a lot of catching up to do at the moment and they seem to be moving at a glacial pace. That 360 build volume will really be nice, but I'm worried about them being behind the times (speed, input shaping, etc). A Voron 350 would also be a possibility, although that puts one into the "enthusiast" category, which I'm not sure about. (Building the printer sounds fun, but I don't want to have to tinker with it.)

What worries you? A Prusa XL without input shaping was only slightly slower than the X1. The X1 is good, but it is overhyped. The XL will be very fast with input shaping.

I just bought a device to does the same thing as input shaping on my Ender-3. It is now three times faster than a standard ender and about 1.5-2 times faster than my Prusa Mk3s.

I'm concerned on the Bambu with all the issues and since it is not open source you have to buy all the parts from them and they can't keep much in stock
I built a custom railcore 300x300x1000 and use 1.2mm nozzle

I'm concerned on the Bambu with all the issues and since it is not open source you have to buy all the parts from them and they can't keep much in stock

It depends on what you want to do with it. Bambus are good printers. They are just not as good as the Bambu Mafia thinks it is.

What worries you? A Prusa XL without input shaping was only slightly slower than the X1. The X1 is good, but it is overhyped. The XL will be very fast with input shaping.
What worries me is that Prusa doesn't seem to be innovating any longer, and I suspect they've grown too large and are being bogged down by their size. For example they're making coy comments about input shaping and Klipper firmware but no commitments and don't seem to realize that table stakes have changed for printers in this price range.

I haven't cancelled my XL order, and I hope that Prusa (and all the other manufacturers) take the Bambu as a wakeup call to up their game. Time will tell.

I think the bifurcation between people who just want to print and those who want to tinker is becoming more pronounced. (I never work on my cars so I don't really care if they use proprietary or open source parts.)

That said, I am considering building a Voron 2.4 because it looks like a fun project. However, that's not about printing parts, that's about learning how 3D printers really work. (Building a kit and tinkering with it to get it to work as well as a commercial unit should do out of the box.)

How does your printer work? That 1m Z sounds really cool. I looked at the FLSUN V400 just because it had a better Z (imagine the nosecones you could print!), but 1m blows that away.

I think the bifurcation between people who just want to print and those who want to tinker is becoming more pronounced. (I never work on my cars so I don't really care if they use proprietary or open source parts.)

That said, I am considering building a Voron 2.4 because it looks like a fun project. However, that's not about printing parts, that's about learning how 3D printers really work. (Building a kit and tinkering with it to get it to work as well as a commercial unit should do out of the box.)

How does your printer work? That 1m Z sounds really cool. I looked at the FLSUN V400 just because it had a better Z (imagine the nosecones you could print!), but 1m blows that away.
FLSUN V400 is an awesome printer. I saw one recently at a show. It performs quite well.

I like to be able to buy parts from someone else. Bambu is like Tesla. You have to Buy parts from them and go to their repair shop and use their cloud. This works with some, but not all. This and the support network are why Prusa sells a much larger number of printers.

That is changing a little.

Last edited:
What worries me is that Prusa doesn't seem to be innovating any longer, and I suspect they've grown too large and are being bogged down by their size. For example they're making coy comments about input shaping and Klipper firmware but no commitments and don't seem to realize that table stakes have changed for printers in this price range.

I haven't cancelled my XL order, and I hope that Prusa (and all the other manufacturers) take the Bambu as a wakeup call to up their game. Time will tell.
You will be pretty surprised by the XL. It has some new technology that will make it into the Mini and Mk3s. I have used Klipper on my Prusa MK3S. It is a great addition to the printer and I get abotu 3x the print speed with minimal to no change in quality.

I don't think Prusa is worried about Bambu. I am sure it has cut into some sales, but Prusa sells in the order of 300-500K printers a year versus 50-100K for Bambu the last time I looked. It is good that BambuLabs came around to push the manufacturers to make great things.

You will be pretty surprised by the XL. It has some new technology that will make it into the Mini and Mk3s. I have used Klipper on my Prusa MK3S. It is a great addition to the printer and I get abotu 3x the print speed with minimal to no change in quality.
I would love that! The MK3S was my first 3D printer and I still have fond memories of it. I cheer on any manufacturer that is pushing the state of the art forward!

I would love that! The MK3S was my first 3D printer and I still have fond memories of it. I cheer on any manufacturer that is pushing the state of the art forward!
That is another plus for Prusa; so far, every printer produced has an upgrade path along its product line. MK2 could go to an MK3S+ as long as you purchased them. They eventually stopped selling the upgrade kits, but I have always been able to buy the parts. I have not seen that in any other line of printers.

It has been so long since I bought mine I contacted Prusa to determine which printer I bought. I purchased a semi-assembled two-head so I will have to wait will May. I found out I was one of the first ten to buy one.

It has been so long since I bought mine I contacted Prusa to determine which printer I bought. I purchased a semi-assembled two-head so I will have to wait will May. I found out I was one of the first ten to buy one.
I ordered the same thing, but I plan to upgrade to 3 heads when my turn comes up. (That way it comes with both PSUs and no additional upgrades are required.)

I ordered the same thing, but I plan to upgrade to 3 heads when my turn comes up. (That way it comes with both PSUs and no additional upgrades are required.)
There is some indication that you cannot do that. I hope they are wrong. Joseph said you could and I really hope he sticks to his word.

That is another plus for Prusa; so far, every printer produced has an upgrade path along its product line. MK2 could go to an MK3S+ as long as you purchased them. They eventually stopped selling the upgrade kits, but I have always been able to buy the parts. I have not seen that in any other line of printers.

I've been able to upgrade my Creality Ender 3 Pro to a V2 by purchasing:

Direct Extruder
New main board (32-bit)
BL-Touch ABL probe
New display

Now, if I can just figure out the problems I'm having with extrusion, I'll be good.

I've been able to upgrade my Creality Ender 3 Pro to a V2 by purchasing:

Direct Extruder
New main board (32-bit)
BL-Touch ABL probe
New display

Now, if I can just figure out the problems I'm having with extrusion, I'll be good.

No, that not what I mean.

Prusa created an upgrade path starting the the I3 Mk2. Each time a new printer was release, they sold an upgrade kit. I3 Mk2 > I3 Mk2S > I3 Mk2.5 (partial upgrade) > I3 Mk3 > I3 Mk3S > I3Mk3s+ As long as you purchase the upgrade, you have an updated printer that is current with the current line.

Creality is updatabe, but I am not aware of a way to make an Ender-3 updated to an Ender-3 S1 or V2 Neo. The only upgrade path is to buy a new printer.

Back