3D Printing Prusa MK4

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well I just got an email with a $150 voucher since I bought my mk3s+ less than 30 days of the release of the new mk4. Now to either put it toward and upgrade or a mk4 kit.

This is an interesting take on the whole Mk 4 rollout from Prusa. I'll admit I'm a "Prusa Fanboy" but the guy does make some interesting comparisons and in my mind, failed to answer the question he originally stated; "Is it worth it?" I only post this to be "fair and balanced" as I tend to weigh heavily in favor of the Prusas in my comments...

Yikes. I just pulled the trigger on an MK3/MK3+ to full MK4 upgrade kit and this review makes me wonder if the MK4 open loop input shaping without an accelerometer is going to be robust enough to work as well on an upgraded MK3/MK3+. Hopefully the upgraded MK3+/MK3 is equivalent enough to the MK4 so the factory calibration is sufficient. Is it possible the input shaper calibration and/or input shaper performance is different for the MK3.5, MK3.9 and MK4 upgrades as well as the MK4?

The Mk 4 kits are $799, with DHL shipping running maybe $50 to the west coast. The US Customs duty threshold is $800. Some websites say that duty is imposed when the total cost of goods exceeds $800, but other sites say the $800 threshold is on the “delivered price” which I assume would include shipping. And the duty amount is somewhere between 2% and 4.2% depending on the website. Thus it would seem if duty is triggered only on the machine price, then if I order the kit with no accessories i should not be charged dutyS. Add an accessory sheet to the order and it should trigger the the suty. Therefore it would seem a better deal toorder the kit with no accessories and then place a second order for whatever accessories you need. That would trigger a second shipping charge but i imagine that shipping charge would still be less than the duty you would otherwise pay if everything was in one order and triggered the duty threshold.

anyone have any insight into this?

thanks,

The Mk 4 kits are $799, with DHL shipping running maybe $50 to the west coast. The US Customs duty threshold is $800. Some websites say that duty is imposed when the total cost of goods exceeds $800, but other sites say the $800 threshold is on the “delivered price” which I assume would include shipping. And the duty amount is somewhere between 2% and 4.2% depending on the website. Thus it would seem if duty is triggered only on the machine price, then if I order the kit with no accessories i should not be charged dutyS. Add an accessory sheet to the order and it should trigger the the suty. Therefore it would seem a better deal toorder the kit with no accessories and then place a second order for whatever accessories you need. That would trigger a second shipping charge but i imagine that shipping charge would still be less than the duty you would otherwise pay if everything was in one order and triggered the duty threshold.

thanks,
I have never paid a duty on any price under $800 of product. I guess I could just be lucky.

thanks,
I just recently got a MK3S+ kit and shipped through DHL and did not get charged a duty fee. Now my first one I ordered (kit plus the cabinet) I did get charged a duty fee, but my total was over $800 without shipping.

Just came up in my FB feed...

Although apparently (according to comments) he swapped his hotend and part cooling fans and that might be the root cause of many of the issues...

He fell for the posts getting him to do things that not very recommended. It is good that they replaced the printer. I have wonders why that printer clogged so much.

Last edited:
I just came across this thread running around Reddit that the Mk4s have an design issue that is getting some of the printers sent back to Prusa. Apparently there is a vibration that is causing the printers to fail prints in certain configurations. The thought at Prusa is there is a design flaw that manifests itself in tolerance issues for some components. The component fitment problems show up in some printers and not in others. This makes "quality control" a problem before shipping. People have been getting their Mk4s relatively quickly but apparently there was a pause in shipping recently. This was done to try and fix the issue.

All this said, this is a Reddit thread so there is no guarantee how accurate it is and if, in fact, there are problems at all. Most of the reviews I've seen are pretty good and don't address any vibration issues. I take these types of post as a "grain of salt" type thing as there is always going to be issues and some manifest themselves in different ways, even among different people, sooooooo...... take it for what it is.

Reddit.com/r/prusa3d/comments/136jqtq/damn_just_read_this_on_the_prusa_facebook_group/

I just came across this thread running around Reddit that the Mk4s have an design issue that is getting some of the printers sent back to Prusa. Apparently there is a vibration that is causing the printers to fail prints in certain configurations. The thought at Prusa is there is a design flaw that manifests itself in tolerance issues for some components. The component fitment problems show up in some printers and not in others. This makes "quality control" a problem before shipping. People have been getting their Mk4s relatively quickly but apparently there was a pause in shipping recently. This was done to try and fix the issue.

All this said, this is a Reddit thread so there is no guarantee how accurate it is and if, in fact, there are problems at all. Most of the reviews I've seen are pretty good and don't address any vibration issues. I take these types of post as a "grain of salt" type thing as there is always going to be issues and some manifest themselves in different ways, even among different people, sooooooo...... take it for what it is.

Reddit.com/r/prusa3d/comments/136jqtq/damn_just_read_this_on_the_prusa_facebook_group/

It might be true, but I am still seeing a steady report of shippings.

Got my DHL shipping notice this week! Apparently the MK4 is going thru CZ Customs now. I ordered the first night when it said lead time was 3-4 weeks. The status on my Prusa order page went from 'New' to 'In Process'. Ordered a Satin PEI sheet with the MK4. First time using that. :cool:

Will see if I get the 1kg spool of Galaxy Black? It looks pretty cool.

Got my DHL shipping notice this week! Apparently the MK4 is going thru CZ Customs now. I ordered the first night when it said lead time was 3-4 weeks. The status on my Prusa order page went from 'New' to 'In Process'. Ordered a Satin PEI sheet with the MK4. First time using that. :cool:

Will see if I get the 1kg spool of Galaxy Black? It looks pretty cool.

The spool is usually grey.

If anyone has an enclosed M4, and is willing to print some test parts in ABS and PET-CF, please contact me off-chat: [email protected]
I will be doing strength testing, in hopefully realistic scenarios, to get hard data. I'm also curious how it compares to the X1C in terms of quality and strength of parts produced.

Just read this update from Joseph Prusa on the status of the Mk4 so far. I know it's long but I didn't want to paraphrase his comments.

"Hello everyone 🙋‍♂️ I am still on the road, but my team back at HQ is hard at work and I want to post a few updates before I get a chance to push out a full-fledged article 💡

We’ve run a survey with the first few hundred MK4 users and the feedback is great, I would even say the best launch we ever had. I plan to include some data in the article too 📊

As some already noticed we changed the MK4 gearbox cover. It is manufacturing optimization and gives us a higher yield in production - we can make more printers. This is part of every printer lifecycle and MK3 had hundreds of production tweaks over time. This and some other little things slowed us down a bit, and we are now roughly 2 weeks behind the original estimated dates. We are now picking up speed 🏎️

We register a few user reports with MK4 not being as quiet as it should be. We are investigating, and it looks like one limited batch of motors with different specs is the probable culprit. I will follow up in the article 🔇

We also have a few cases of switched connections of heatbreak and print cooling fans. This is one manufacturing operator error and it is fixed. We will update the selftest, which will be a great benefit even for user servicing and mods later on 💨

The WIFI speed has got a speed bump in the firmware 4.6.1 and we expect to have networking significantly faster over the upcoming months. The firmware with Input Shaper is being internally tested and I’ll cover it in a proper article soon ⚡

And some great news at the end - we managed to get more space for our manufacturing and we plan to hire up to 100 new colleagues before the year's end, I think this is amazing in this day and age 🥰

Happy printing 🙏"

Sounds promising. I have not owned a printers that did not have some quality issues. I am glad to see they identified the issue.

MK4 delivered today (one day early). Unbox fully assembled printer, and printed a cat silhouette without issue (it did ship w the 1kg spool of Galaxy black :cool: ) (some ridges on first layer tho?) As soon as I press preheat for "PLA" on the second print, the MK4 gives me this:

MK4-Error01.jpg

That prusa.io/13311 website mentions something about the xbuddy board communication issue. (apparently, the MK4 has AI builtin? It's a HAL 9000??)

Cold, cold booted (unplugged from electric outlet for 10+ minutes), go to preheat for PLA and the bed preheats like normal, but the nozzle will not go above 170 C (set to 215). Left it to preheat for 5 minutes. Cold booted again and left it off for 15 minutesish - still will not go above 170.

Unplugged from power strip and plugged straight into wall outlet. Unplugged everything on that circuit/outlet and still no change.

There was a small hole in the box about mid section? I heard a small sound in the box when initially moving it.

I'll contact tech support tomorrow night and see what they say. Hopefully just a loose connection that I can remedy!?

Last edited:
MK4 delivered today (one day early). Unbox fully assembled printer, and printed a cat silhouette without issue (it did ship w the 1kg spool of Galaxy black :cool: ) (some ridges on first layer tho?) As soon as I press preheat for "PLA" on the second print, the MK4 gives me this:

View attachment 581235

That prusa.io/13311 website mentions something about the xbuddy board communication issue. (apparently, the MK4 has AI builtin? It's a HAL 9000??)

Cold, cold booted (unplugged from electric outlet for 10+ minutes), go to preheat for PLA and the bed preheats like normal, but the nozzle will not go above 170 C (set to 215). Left it to preheat for 5 minutes. Cold booted again and left it off for 15 minutesish - still will not go above 170.

Unplugged from power strip and plugged straight into wall outlet. Unplugged everything on that circuit/outlet and still no change.

There was a small hole in the box about mid section? I heard a small sound in the box when initially moving it.

I'll contact tech support tomorrow night and see what they say. Hopefully just a loose connection that I can remedy!?

Prusa support on the shop chat will quickly help you.

Sounds pretty reasonable for a new product. I think I'll wait for the Mk4S anyway. :)
Not a bad idea. I will buy a kit for the Mk4 and assemble it. I am upgrading two Mk3+ to Mk3.5s and one Mk3+ to a Mk3.9.

Right now, I use my Prusa Minis a lot. They can print 95% of what I need.

Still have not heard anything from Prusa dev team. Now I get this email from Prusa:

"I’m excited to bring you info about the first public release of the 5.0.0-alpha1 firmware that brings Input Shaper and Pressure Advance to your Original Prusa MK4. And it is not just Input Shaper. It has an entirely new precise stepping and proper pressure advance."

Wish I could install it! :rolleyes:

Back